Message about B5 from JMS

redlaco

Mongoose
Just saw that on jmsnews.com and thought I'd share it here.
I think it's an honest and straightforward opinion that I can understand from an author. As much as we like the setting, we cannot demand that the author becomes a slave out of it. Still, there's a mention about the possibilities of other projects, so there is always hope for more...

Subject: Re: Is B5 dead?
To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Date: 5/25/2005 11:24:08 PM

"Are we now reduced to hoping for a book once or twice a decade? Is
there any reason to have hope for more of what we love so much?
Is Babylon 5, as we know it....dead?"

This question comes up periodically, and I'll give it pretty much the
same answer that I always give...that there is a difference between
*dead* and *complete*.

If a novelist writes a book, and he doesn't write five more books in
that universe, with those characters, is the book dead? Or completed?

When I embarked on B5, I wasn't out to create a franchise, wasn't
looking to springboard this out into a zillion other projects...I
resisted merchandising, and made it clear to all parties that this
would be five seasons, no more. Because that's I figured it would take
me to tell that story. The only thing I asked of the universe was that
I be able to tell the story to its end, and that I not die before
finishing it. That's all.

And somehow, both happened...and I'm happy with that.

I've said it a hundred times before...if something happens to come up
in the B5 universe that's fun to tell, and someone wants to provide a
venue, great...if not, also great. I told the story that I wanted,
needed to tell. When Zack says, in SiL, "We did what we said we were
gonna do, and nobody can ever take that away from us," that was the
author speaking through him.

What I set out to do with that show, I did, and nobody can ever take
that away. I told the story I wanted to tell. Everything else is
lagniappe.

jms

Just in case anyone was wondering what 'Lagniappe' meant:

1. A small gift presented by a storeowner to a customer with the customer's purchase.
2. An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.

It seems pretty obvious to me JMS is willing to give B5 a spin whenever the opportunity and medium works out for him. C.F. The Legend of the Rangers and the occasional one off B5 comics here and there. I would imagine if a writer approached him with a nifty enough idea set in the B5 sandbox he might be interested. Or if the opportunity to spin into different medium, like, I dunno, RPG's he'd look into it. ;) I don't think he's done with the B5 'verse, just letting it simmer while he works on other projects.

That's the way LBH! Tell everyone to KEEP THE FAITH! Let our hearts burn with our love of Babylon 5! Just DON"T LOSE HOPE!!!

In the years to come I'll be able to say:

"I was there at the dawn of the third age of B5. It began in the Earth year 2005, with the last of the Babylon novels located deep in neutral Swindon. It was a port of call for writers, roleplayers, miniatures gamers, artists, and geeks from a hundred worlds. It could be a dangerous place, but we accepted the risk because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for good sci-fi. Under the leadership of its final commanders, Mongoose Towers was a dream given form. A dream of an RPG without WotC, where characters could multiclass with no XP penalty. A dream that was beseiged as never before by one fanboy on a mission of fandom. Mongoose Towers was the last of the Babylon publishers. This is its story. "

:lol:

LBH

Yes, and Spider-man too. Plus another comic book project called "Dream Police" which I think will be great. And don't forget a mini-serie on Dr Strange. You can say JMS in knee deep in comics these days. I heard he was preparing a TV prog for a channel based in Vancouver, Canada.

I'm sure he'll keep on delivering quality scripts and great stories.

redlaco said:
Plus another comic book project called "Dream Police" which I think will be great.

I thought they were just inside of my head....(oh lord I just really dated myself there.

There is always hope that the b5 universe will rise again .JMS set out to tell a story he wanted to tell and he did.If nothing ever comes of B5 again I am happy for what I got.

Back