Mass combat rules

What do you guys do for mass combat? Anyone have a decent home brew system out there for use? I'm desperatly looking for something but can't find anything that's to my flavor. I'm talking about for starships, by the way. Thought I had better put that in there after I read the post again lol

Babylon 5 Aide said:
What do you guys do for mass combat? Anyone have a decent home brew system out there for use? I'm desperatly looking for something but can't find anything that's to my flavor. I'm talking about for starships, by the way. Thought I had better put that in there after I read the post again lol

I can heartily recommend AoG's Fleet Action for this purpose. It will handle very large fleets with ease.

That's not something in my power to aquire now though. I was just hoping someone had something usable to someone that doesn't have that already and doesn't really have a way to nab it. :(

Babylon 5 Aide said:
That's not something in my power to aquire now though. I was just hoping someone had something usable to someone that doesn't have that already and doesn't really have a way to nab it. :(

Emaphasis on "Free" I take it? Agent1 still has copies of the rules books for sale at a reduced rate though I believe.

And KDLadage seems to have a complete set (or two or more...) on eBay for $10 reserve which is an absolute bargain.

My group is not in to loads of dice rolling so I've cut the space combat by dividing all the combat stats by 10. So a Heavy Laser does 8+1d8, Hyperion has 2 DR etc.
As for fighters, they have to act in squadrons and I’ve pinched the chart from B5W to work out how many fighters in a squadron hit their target. Each hit does 1 damage and no DR. This allows them to be a bit more dangerous to the bigger ships (explained by saying that they can target the weak points on the hull e.g. turrets, sensor pods etc).
I’ve not got the fighter to fighter combat sussed yet but I’m working on it!

If you want a really big fleet battle there were a good set of rules for Battlestar Galactica on the web; that was only a couple of dice rolls per capital ship so you could even refight the liberation of Proxima in one evening! :D

Good luck!

DW

Thanks for that. That sounds more like something my group is interested in. Honestly they aren't war gamers so even though I'd love setting up a floor space as a war zone they would look at me kinda funny :) Any chance you have the url to the BSG rules you were talking about?

http://staff.bus.bton.ac.uk/fesg/bsgfleet/index.html

Hopefully this should link to the BSG page. The rues are quite short, but perhaps not as simple as I remembered! :D

Anyway - have fun!

DW

Back