Managing Combat

GevatterHein

Mongoose
Finally I have found a very good tool for Combat Management on my IPad. It's called RPG Combat Assistant. I think, it was developed for some german game (may be Midgard or Das schwarze Auge). But the Design is very flexible, so I adapt it for Runequest6/Legend. The most important features for me: You can assign to every Character/NPC/Monster his Action Points - offensive, defensive even free Actions if you want. These refresh each new round. Second, during a fight you can assign each PC the Enemy(s) he is fighting. The App highlights these Combatants, when the GM chooses one of them. So - no confusion anymore on the (my) gaming table during a fight with many participants. Of course, the App rolls Initiative automatically if you want. You can build Encounter or PC-Groups, add Notes (i.e. Stealth and Perception Scores), even Hit- and Armour-Points per Location, save these Files. And more. For me, it's the perfect combat tool for my gaming table. The AppStore has some Screenshots, so you should see the potential of the App. It costs 2,68 Euro and needs iOS 6. Okay, this reads a little bit like a kind of Advertising. That's true in only one sense: I really like the App and think every Runequest/Legend-GameMaster with iPad/iPhone will find it very useful.

GevatterHein said:
Finally I have found a very good tool for Combat Management on my IPad. It's called RPG Combat Assistant. I think, it was developed for some german game (may be Midgard or Das schwarze Auge). But the Design is very flexible, so I adapt it for Runequest6/Legend. The most important features for me: You can assign to every Character/NPC/Monster his Action Points - offensive, defensive even free Actions if you want. These refresh each new round. Second, during a fight you can assign each PC the Enemy(s) he is fighting. The App highlights these Combatants, when the GM chooses one of them. So - no confusion anymore on the (my) gaming table during a fight with many participants. Of course, the App rolls Initiative automatically if you want. You can build Encounter or PC-Groups, add Notes (i.e. Stealth and Perception Scores), even Hit- and Armour-Points per Location, save these Files. And more. For me, it's the perfect combat tool for my gaming table. The AppStore has some Screenshots, so you should see the potential of the App. It costs 2,68 Euro and needs iOS 6. Okay, this reads a little bit like a kind of Advertising. That's true in only one sense: I really like the App and think every Runequest/Legend-GameMaster with iPad/iPhone will find it very useful.

Have you saved some template files you can share please?

So, here is a RPG Assistant File with a few PC and NPCs from my Campaign. But it's the German-App-Version. Don't know if the language barrier makes any problems.

Screenshot #1 shows the Prefs.

Under Otions I only activated "Verwende Aktionen?" (use Actions).
Under "Werte" (Values) I choose

- "freie Aktionen " (free Actions) 0
- "Aktionen" (Actions) 3
- "Reaktionen" (Reactions) 1 - this I use as Shield Action
- the next two Settings at 0
- "INI Temporäre Modi. Knopf" at 1, with this you can adjust the Initiative manually in 1 Point steps during melee
- INI=W?+Basiswert at 10, this is the INI Dice, D 10

Done.

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2,856
Screenshot #2
Add a Combatant

Charakter Name, selfexplanatory

Because all fields get to be filled I use:
Lebensenergie, here I add up HP of all Locations
Ausdauer, means Endurance, so I use CON here
Astralenergie, means POW
Initiative Basis means adjustetd SR
Konstitution means CON
Waffen (Weapons) opens a new Window, I write down the name and add AT and PA Values, I use it to write down Combat Style Value.

Notizen (Notes) I add the skills which I roll for my PCs, i.e. Perception
I Ignore the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,856
Screenshot #3

How to fight.

Here you can see my Heroes Locke and Lisana fighting two Bandits. The green one has Initiative. So I can see immediately that Locke (green) fights Bandit - Veteran (red). Beforehand I decided, that both Bandits ignore Locke and attack Lisana, and Locke attacks bandit One. I assigend the enemys via the wheel Icon. On the left you can see that every PC (Held) and NPC has listed his Initiative Score (SR), HP, Endurance, Actions and the Enemy he fights (if assigned).

On the right you see the Scores of Locke, who has Initiative. He attacks Bandit - Veteran. Now I use the Crossed Swords Icon (Neue Aktion) and choose Offensive Action. Lockes Action Count goes down by one. The Bandit parrys with his Shield. So I activate him. Now he turns green and Locke red. I use the Crossed Swords Icon again and choose Defensive Action. The Reaction Score goes down by one. And so on. If everybody has used his actions up, hit the plus sign. A new round begins, the Actions Counts go up to there starting Values again. And the fight continues.

I'm sure, if you fiddle a little bit with the App you will see, it works really nice.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 2,854
Back