Malkioni in the second age

zanshin

Mongoose
I know I should wait for the setting book, but are there any knowledgeable gloranthaphiles out there that could do/point me to an overview of the predominant malkioni philosophies/schools extant in the second age.

Cheers!

The best source I can think of is the Glorantha, Introduction to the Hero Wars book from Issaries - still available as a PDF. It has a whole chapter on Malkionism. While it is a third age supplement, it has a detailed history with dates so it is not that hard to get an idea of what parts apply to a given time period.

I don't think the year the Mongoose Second Age material is set in has been officially anounced yet, though I think around 980 sounds like something that has been thrown out there.

zanshin said:
I know I should wait for the setting book, but are there any knowledgeable gloranthaphiles out there that could do/point me to an overview of the predominant malkioni philosophies/schools extant in the second age.

For completists and thsoe interested in the deep mysteries, there's 'Revealed Mythologies' which details the mythic history of the Malkioni. It's available in Europe and the UK through Tradetalk or in the USA from SJG's Warehouse 23.

There is another pre-finished work on Malkionism and the history of the 2nd Age which is much more relevent to your question, but it's not up on the Tradetalk site yet. It's very new and I have the good fortune of having a brother who went to the Continuum convention in Leicester recently and picked me up one of the very first copies available.

Lucky me!

Simon Hibbs

Thank you both, i think i have the Intro to Hero wars somewhere about.

Will also follow the links provided.

Much appreciated.

It is possibly worth noting/remebering that the Jrusteli originally returned to Genertala following the revalation of "The Abiding Book" as the "Return to Rightousness" crusade - so depending on exactly when in the second age you are might depend on exactly what the major beliefs are. I'd guess that there are plenty of Stygians in Arkat's Dark Empire, with thier numbers diminishing as Ralios is conquered.

There won't be any Rokari though (maybe towards the end of the age? I don't recall the actual dates) as one of the drivers of Rokarism is to get rid of the changes wrought by the God Learners (hence no caste mobility for instance...)

It might not be what you're after, but the tail end of my History of Malkionism has overview flavour text and background for the Second Age. The new "Unfinished Work" has much more detail about God Learner sects and schisms.

Cheers, Nick

moonbroth said:
It might not be what you're after, but the tail end of my History of Malkionism has overview flavour text and background for the Second Age. The new "Unfinished Work" has much more detail about God Learner sects and schisms.

Cheers, Nick

It does, indeed. If you want an overview of the different Malkioni Sects of the God Learners, then the new Unfinished Work is very useful.

According to the Ralios PDF, the Stygian Empire has been defeated by the God Learners so this puts it some time after 740. I don't think it actualy states the current data. It refers to "Glorantha - The Second Age" so I think it was probably intended to come out after that, giving it more context than it actualy has for us right now.

Simon Hibbs

duncan_disorderly said:
There won't be any Rokari though (maybe towards the end of the age? I don't recall the actual dates) as one of the drivers of Rokarism is to get rid of the changes wrought by the God Learners (hence no caste mobility for instance...)
I just stumbled across this in a back issue of TotRM I think -- Saint Rokar wasn't born until the early Third Age.

The article also mentioned that the Hrestoli Church was the generally accepted practice for most of the Second Age.

"Glorantha - Second Age: Ralios PDF" looks like a chapter that was "cut for space restiction reasons" from the main background book.
I think you will be able to use Ralios fully when the main book will be published.

Cheers

Osentalka

Back