LW 11 & 12

SnowShadow said:
Got mine too...
I got Spear of Destiny with mine, by Jaspre Bark, along with other bumph. Didn't order it. Was this because I'm an original Mega-deal customer? Did anyone else get anything extra?

Original Mega Deal customer here as well, nothing extra in the box for me

Yeah, this was just a marketing thing (although pretty cool to market using free books) nothing to do with the LW deal.

agree with the posters here, the errors are starting to get a bit annoying .. i mean getting the spine wrong ... a mate of mine did that on the rough version of his thesis, as well as give the printers one chapter upside down ... luckily they spotted it and phoned him to ask if that's how he really wanted it :lol: perhaps i should send mongoose their address, seems they could a better job than the current jokers ..!
my book 12 also came with the sniper game novel thingy, when i got the package i thought it might be a 12/13 or 12/29 double pack surprise ... bastards :p

elizzar, liked your post (hold on that's Facebook).

I'd be happy to proofread for free if it'd stop the errors.

The spine is a real pity, it does look odd on the shelf, not far from my copy of "Cauldron of Fear" which is missing the "The" on the spine. This is why I have reservations about publishing Bk29 so soon.

I think it's been several years since Gamebooks have been produced on a wide scale and some of the art has been lost, it isn't as easy as our cut-and-paste society thinks these days. Normal books are simpler because of their linear approach but how on earth would a printer know that section 327 was supposed to send you to section 224 and not 24 without time consuming checks? When I used to grumble inwardly at the option of helping Paido fight of his attackers at section 318 in The Jungle of Horrors 1st edition, instead of riding north, I never really thought about just how hard it must be not only to produce the Lone Wolf books but spot the errors.

After the initial elation of a Mongoose package coming through the letterbox my heart sinks as I open it thinking 'what's going to be wrong with this one?' I don't blame anyone and I am still over the moon that Mongoose are printing the final four LW books. I just wish there was some way we could help to make these books as error free as possible first time. Sorry, a bit long winded.

Is the spine misspelling a mongoose mess up or a printer mess up? If the latter, are the printers going to redo them again, as with the last time they messed up?

lord darkstorm said:
Is the spine misspelling a mongoose mess up or a printer mess up? If the latter, are the printers going to redo them again, as with the last time they messed up?

This time, I am afraid, we'll have to hold our hands up to it. Deepest apologies for that, but we have already instituted a new procedure that will ensure it can never happen again.

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly. Hey what a refreshing change in our blame culture society for someone to actually hold their hands up and admit fault. Great news that it won't happen again, cannot ask for more. Thanks.

would the new procedure being having a pre-publish proof read and for every error missed the proofer gets twenty lashes? pour encourager les autres

seriously, thanks for reply matthew, the mistakes in linking sections can be hugely annoying but we only crow so much about it cos we love the gamebooks that much :p books 10 and 12 were the first i ever bought in about 1988/9 as they were next to the FF books in my local (sadly long closed) bookshop, and after reading i realised i needed the other 10, and how much more serious and epic the series was compared to FF (saying that some of the later 40+ FF books, and Creature of Havoc, were better ... which reminds me my CoH book had a huge section error ... hmmm)

incidentally for those not yet with books the bonus adventure (mini-spoil highlight to read)
has you as captain borse / + basically crew of the Intrepid with much erm nautical fun ensuing

I just wanted to reiterate. I love what Mongoose is doing and the last thing I wanted to do is give them grief about errors. I am hugely impressed with the quality of the books, and even more so with their customer service. I love you guys. The map in book 12 has beautiful colors, the quality of binding is excellent, and you can ask my wife how giddy I get when a new book shows up. She hates it because she has all sorts of ideas about what we could have done with that money, but I was smart enough to subscribe to the mega deal before the wedding. There's nothing she can do to thwart me now. :twisted: Thanks again mongoose for a great product I've been waiting years for.

Got my copy today ! apart from the error on the spine and the wrong action chart for the bonus adventure (will we get the right one via pdf for download at your website or something like that :) ?), again awesome work !! :)

the illustrations are great :)

ready to slay the darklords ! 8)

SnowShadow said:
Got mine too. Not read it yet but like the way the Bonus adventure mentions you can wear Padded Leather but not Chainmail with a Bronin Vest, clears that up a little. A pity about the errors on the spine.

I got Spear of Destiny with mine, by Jaspre Bark, along with other bumph. Didn't order it. Was this because I'm an original Mega-deal customer? Did anyone else get anything extra?

Link.

Unfortunately I'm beyond the excited/disappointed stage when a book arrives. Invariably they're late, whenever I voice any sort of dissent the Mongoose Faithful cry "Better it's late than sent out containing mistakes." and I'm told I should appreciate what Mongoose do for me. Actually let's remember, I'm paying a premium price for what Mongoose do for me.

Yes, it's great the Lone Wolf books are being reprinted, I don't have half of the New Order books which did get published, so it's fantastic that I don't have to spend eternity scouring ebay to finish my collection, but it's not a catch all defence for some truly diabolical errors. I know where possible things have been reprinted, but there's still a huge amount of errata for these books.

When a book does arrive, invariably there is some sort of problem. There's really no excuse for silly errors like character sheets. I'm not even touching "Maters of Darkness". Have the Darklords become the "Sinister School Mothers in Chelsea Tractors Brigade"?

It's bad enough that my partner now asks me before I've even opened it, "So what's wrong with this one." and she not a gamer. It's become a running joke which isn't actually funny. Way, way back "procedures" were put in place to stop this kind of silly error. Now we have another "procedure" in place... How many more procedures will be needed? I admit, I have real concerns with the publication of book 28 onward.

Come on folks. "Collector Editions" should be collector editions...

This is truly absurd, not a single book from them so far without some kind of silly printing error or another and they are always breaking into new ground.

T.Y.A. said:
Unfortunately I'm beyond the excited/disappointed stage when a book arrives. Invariably they're late, whenever I voice any sort of dissent the Mongoose Faithful cry "Better it's late than sent out containing mistakes." and I'm told I should appreciate what Mongoose do for me. Actually let's remember, I'm paying a premium price for what Mongoose do for me.
It's bad enough that my partner now asks me before I've even opened it, "So what's wrong with this one." and she not a gamer. It's become a running joke which isn't actually funny. Way, way back "procedures" were put in place to stop this kind of silly error. Now we have another "procedure" in place... How many more procedures will be needed? I admit, I have real concerns with the publication of book 28 onward.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Don't get me wrong, I do grumble with the mistakes but I can live with them because I have the original Lone Wolf books, which have their own faults - wrong map Bk28, Deliverence description inaccurate, etc. My major concern is Bks 29+, I have said this many times, we need to get these errors fixed as much as possible before these books come out as we have no other point of reference to compare the mistakes too: It would be a real shame if Bk32 sent you to the wrong/instant death reference instead of 350 (or is it 500?) and that was not obvious to the reader who couldn't understand why they couldn't complete the book say. Yes if there are plenty of mistakes with the final books I will be less forgiving but like Matthew said the spine error will not happen again so I live in hope.

The real things that are annoying are the wrong links given in some sections. That ruins the adventure a little bit when you have to look around for the section that make the most sense to continue the story. Wrong adventure sheet in the mini-adventure? I don't use them anyway. Typo on the spine? So what, it doesn't ruin the adventure. Of course, these errors, when they are repeated frequently, are more harmful to the reputation of the publisher than anything else.

The original French edition of the books was worst: in the NO series, they removed the maps but they also left a puzzle where you need the map to complete. Plus two books were inverted, book 23 becoming 24 and vice versa. And I'm not counting the printing error of sections being moved around.

So are we all waiitng for a replacement copy of MaSters of Darkness with our next delivery then or do we need to contact someone about it? :roll:

Arkansaw said:
This is truly absurd, not a single book from them so far without some kind of silly printing error or another and they are always breaking into new ground.

Book 2 had no errors. I think 2 or 3 in the first 7 had no errors and it's been improving since then. I, myself, am pleased with the lack of mistakes in the more recent released compared to the slew of them that plagued the early books.

Back