Loss of an Old School Traveller...

GamerDude

Cosmic Mongoose
I know most folks might not be interested but this is important to me.

Feb 16th I flew from Spokane WA to LA for Strategicon (trip was birthday present from my wife). Ran Friday through Monday.

At about 8:45pm on Saturday, less than an hour into my late-night session I got a call from my wife. This is the kind of call I've only ever received once before, it started with "Honey what are you doing? you ok? can you sit down I have something to tell you"

The first time my very best friend and co-worker had just been found having killed himself.

This time it was my dad had died just a few hours ago.

Flights were a mess, me getting back to Spokane 11pm Tuesday night to change clothes in my suitcase, shower, be back on a flight taking off at 6am for 10+ hrs of time travelling to make a Thursday funeral.

Why does this matter here? Because my dad was a big player of Traveller. My brother (13 at the time) introduced him to it back about 1984/85 and he was hooked. He'd play D&D and other games over the years but his love was Traveller, classic and Megatraveller mostly.

My dad had to give up gaming in 2005 due to his hands not being able to handle dice anymore (even the big ones-which made lots of noise hitting the table) and he gave me all his gaming stuff - a ton of CT/MT original books and his bag of dice.

I let my brother who took care of everything be served my dad's military flag, I have his dice.
My other relatives only have some memories, I have his dice. What more can a gaming father pass on to his son?

When I go back down in the fall with my wife to visit his grave - I'll be burying his big d20 with him - privately just him and I kind of playing one last game and I know what is first words to St. Peter probably were "So, where does a guy get into a good game of Traveller around here?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My condolences for your loss. My old man never played Traveller with us, but he's getting up in years himself, and I know the time will come when I literally feel your pain.

Thanks for the post, it was really well written. I felt the same way when my grandfather passed a number of years ago.

My Dad has cancer. He's never gamed but he drove me from Sunderland to the South Coast to attend a Gen Con UK. And he has helped by buying books and running "Dad's taxis".

"Death reaps the beauty of the world..."

It never gets better, but it gets easier. Trust me, I know.

Sorry for your loss.

Deeply sorry for you.

I'm just approaching (with trepidation) five years since losing my father. It's never easy losing family, especially when you have a close connection, but the happy memories from that connection really do help.

Here's hoping that die has one more natural twenty left for him...

A well written tribute to an obviously much loved father.

It's over 20 years now since my dad died but I still think of him often

I'd like to thank all of you for your kind words. I know I haven't exactly had the best track record of not putting my foot in my mouth. I pointed this thread out to my brother (the one who introduced dad to Traveller and still plays Traveller/D&D) and he expressed his thanks for the kind words and kind thoughts for those who either have a very ill dad lost their him. I echo that.

It was hard to write, is it too much me, too long, too sappy etc. and you all helped me in the knowledge I got it, to quote Goldilocks "just right"

One thing I didn't mention (again length, is it too much about me) but when JBE released the "d66 Companion" I emailed my dad a pdf copy of the title page (Credits, Toc, etc) which not only listed my name as a "writer" but had that very unexpected thank you to me by D. M. McCoy. I was the first of his kids to graduate college (he was at the graduation - I caught him off to the side hiding his tears), only one to follow him into the US Military, but I think this made him the proudest of me.

I want the focus to remain dad so let me close out with this... I really wish his hands and eyesight had been well enough to have come to know y'all here on the MGT forum. Y'all would have gotten along and had a great laugh together.

Back