Looking for Players

coldwar

Mongoose
You arrive finally on Johannesburg's Highport, the Jule. Thankfully unlike the ship you arrived upon, the station is spacious, open board walks all covered in spacefarers going about there business. Busy stalls allow you the chance to buy a few local items as you find yourself in the crowd pretty much all human, except for a few mechanoids roaming around. One group of mechanoids you notice are actually a race, with long legs jointed to what should be their shoulders and small grippers extending from there lower body section selling unusual devices, but speak with ease to you about what they are and show you items you are interested in. These call themselves the Kul and have somehow endured the hardships of the sector. Thankfully you have already heard no news of the Shar'ni. Though that is never always good. There is always some news floating around everywhere about them.

You then walk in to a bar as you finish up ensuring you get a ride planetside on one of the stations Pinnaces. A few new arrivals have gathered here to waiting for the same thing. The bar itself is long and sleek with an open floor, but no tables just stools spotted around every where. Being set in to a bulkhead it is still narrow, but at the end, a glazed window allows drinkers to view Johannesburg below, perfect green and blue and its thin blue line shining against the edge, just jutting out of the edges of the planet. In the distance, in orbit just visible to the eye you spot a formation of Naval Cruisers practicing manoeuvre's ready for Collection Day. A news feed turns to the news as the reporters squawk all about the biggest day of the calendar, celebrating the day that the Collective became what it is today and stopped squabbling amongst themselves and in doing so, becoming the pinnacle of human kind.
Soon the video feed ends, with one day to go till the celebrations begin fully, though already people are celebrating partying everywhere. Be lucky to meet someone sober planet side. Though you already know you will be remembering why you have come here. Not for the celebrations, though is perfect timing to be able to see them first hand. Not many people travel, being a rather lonely and rare breed. Most travel is just one way trips, though it is starting to grow on people that they can travel, but is expensive with each trader staking prices at there own rates. Luckily your future employer decided to pay your fare to get here. They must be rich you think to yourself. Not really knowing what the job actually is, you question the application you remember found all those weeks ago. Saying you would travel and see new worlds. You bet its some boring Noble, Just wanting to waste cash on some employees paying them 20 grand a month.

OOC Information:
I am looking for up to 6 players to take part in my Traveller Universe that I am currently working on.
The campaign itself will revolve around adventurering, exploration and trading, once the characters find a ship. Some ship board skills are required, those that aren't filled up can be placed upon some npc's. Any other skill is desirable.
Ships are relatively small, some systems are 2 parsecs apart with jumping twice to reach them. Jump-2 barrier has not been broken, so no Jump-2 drives. Except in some rival races, and/or secrets. So you may get chances to come across a couple jump-2 drive ship. Most ships are therefor designed with enough fuel for two jumps at least.
Lastly, I will be building on the Universe as we go. Apart from a few major points I have done, there is still tons of space to expand. (I haven't got much in the way of history, but I want to build on it as we go. So would be in a way exploring the history. Characters would only really know a few things, mostly only about their homeworlds and barely anything else)

Rules being used are Mongoose, small ship universe. Using design rules from High Guard, and a couple High guard pre-designed small boats. (Because I struggle a little designing them, so someone who can design small boats would be nice)
The Campaign will start out as a Play-By-Email game till I can find somewhere I feel that is suitable to host it to to make it a Play-By-Post

I already have one player interested, wanting to do a Free Trader.

Those wishing to join please say what type of character you would like to play, or going with what the dice give you.
3 slots left

Any of those who'd like to help with background would be appreciated. Things that would help are, small ship designs, minor races, animals. Anything you would like to help with. Artwork for races would be cool too, if someone is confident to do that. As well as historic events.

Some background informaton

Brief History

It was the 2502AD when humanity left Earth after war ravaged the planet. The last war on earth was destructive and degenerated in to the usage of viral warfare.
Five ships were sent to our new home, they were the Euram, the Johannesburg, the Devillian, the Star and the Angel. However, all were not fortunate but one. The Johannesburg, the luckiest of all landed many years after its launch on a small rich habitable planet and thankfully remote enough to be ignored by other species. Which allowed our civilisation to flourish, despite internal conflicts.
Next the Euram ended up landing on an earth like planet, but sadly they found it inhabited by a race called the Shar'ni. Quickly most of the Euram's population were forced in to slavery at the hands of the Shar'ni, who saw them as nothing more then insects. Only a small number have been known to escape, to which the Euram Union was formed by those who have escaped over the years.
The Angel on the other hand, a virus had managed to get on board, altering it's population. Once they awoke they found themselves changed beyond belief and quickly gained a resentment for us normal humans. The Angel's as they call themselves now, appear grey, much bonier, and carapaced bone skin over most of the torso.
And lastly, the Star and the Devillian's fates are still unknown and thought to be lost.

Johannesburg Collective

The shining beacon of humanity is the Largest population mass of all the human civilisations and with just over 50 connected worlds. Each world is free to govern itself whilst holding a seat in the collective.
The Collective was formed together following a series of wars between its member states after several attacks upon them from the Angel's and the Shar'ni. Since then, each member state holds a seat in a the Collective's Central Interstellar Government, usually seated by the state leaders of each state.
The best technology produced by the Collective itself is at TL10, with a variety of other higher technology being imported in from the various Kul empires that are nearby. The exception to this is Hermanus (Cape, Johannesburg, 0407) producing technology equal to TL12.
The Collective is varied and sporting a variety of cultures. Highly educated and rapidly expanding in a variety of technologies, though no official claim has been made yet that the Jump-2 barrier has been broken.

Sounds interesting, but I am not offering to play, sorry. I have too many other PbP games that seem to be going on or stalled to join another one.

Also, Your setting sounds similar in basic ideas to the Outer Veil setting by SPICA. There Jump 2 is only a few decades old in use.

Still has frontier space and no aliens but old civilizations (ruins) have been found of a sort.

Dave Chase

Looks interesting.

Would potentially be interested in playing - if not am more than happy to help with the aforementioned small craft design regardless.

Possibly do naval crewman - depending on how old the collective is (?), a systems fleet crewman pensioned off after the local fleet warships were mothballed in favour of the combined collective navy, otherwise just mustered out as normal.

Question/Point of plot: Is the Angel Virus still around and communicable to other humans?

Oooh, great questions. Sorry am a little bit excited.
First answer will be about the Collective, I haven't decided yet, but the idea of a old Navy Vet who's seen the time before the Collective sounds nice. Though after you commenting on it, I think I will be placing the Collective about 40-50 years old.

This has also reminded me, that I have not said a date when the Campaign starts, which will be 274 AC (After Colonisation)

And your next question about the Angel Virus. Characters would know that it is still around. It's common symptoms is a quick death unless forced to long term exposure through Low Sleep. However, there is rarely any Case's of this outside of the Angel Dominion. As well as that the entire Angel Dominion is a Red Travel Zone, not just to Angel Hostility but also due to Health Safety. In the setting, it is also commonly advised to avoid any Angel at all costs. But they are weak and never really organised so are generally not seen as a problem by most of humanity.

Update: 3 Slots left

Update:
I have one space left. Most characters have been created.
2 Naval characters (1st is Mechanic/Commications. 2nd is Engineer)
1 Free Trader (Broker/Astrogator)
1 Scout (Pilot)
1 Marine (Security/Electronics)

The game will be Play-by-Post on the Mongoose forums.

Character types that could fit in well are:
Rogues
Drifters
Scholars
Steward/medic characters either one or both.
Agents
Citizens
Entertainers

Character creation rules follows the select skill variant, plus roll 6x2d6 3 times making 3 sets. pick the set you like and assigning that set to stats.
TL limit for equipment, weapons and armour is TL10(A). However you can buy 3 items up to TL13(D). Items that are TL11(B) or higher roll 1d6. On a result of 1 the item is of Human manufacture. Any other result means it is Kul manufactured for humans.

coldwar said:
Rules being used are Mongoose, small ship universe. Using design rules from High Guard, and a couple High guard pre-designed small boats. (Because I struggle a little designing them, so someone who can design small boats would be nice)
The Campaign will start out as a Play-By-Email game till I can find somewhere I feel that is suitable to host it to to make it a Play-By-Post
Try this Google search for "play by post" some promising ones there.

coldwar said:
O that's what he meant. But, erm.... well the post before shows I found somewhere to host it soo.
barnest2 said:
People don't read everything ^^
And so I am like half the people on this forum. Answering the post they are on, not slogging through every one to see if something else was said and then forgetting what they were going to reply to in the first place.

Another thought to consider (omg! a differing viewpoint) is Mongoose forums are just "generic" forums, made for people to chit-chat. Offering up a source for a significant number of options lets the original poster look at something which might actually be a much better fit for his game his style.

Even more additionally (but wait! If you consider this point you'll also get a free ice crusher) now the information is there for ANYONE in the Traveller area who might be interested in the same thing.

The good for the many, outweigh the obtuseness of the few, or the tunnel vision of the own (Thank you Mr. Spock)

**SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING**
This post has been made with a touch of humor as part of expressing a dissenting opinion, the humor meant as a medium to indicate the intent for light heated exchange. Any conflicting reception or interpretation by the reader rests solely on the reader... oh and the points are valid no matter how you read the post
**END WARNING**

<<runs off to play with the new Sonic Screwdriver(TM) his lovely wife bought him... The last one ran out of Sonic(TM)>>

*bows*
My intention wasn't to say it was a bad thing, just that thats what some people do. I wasn't judging either way. Most input is good, even if it is slightly outdated ^^

GamerDude said:
<<runs off to play with the new Sonic Screwdriver(TM) his lovely wife bought him... The last one ran out of Sonic(TM)>>

Funny thing, I was just at a "Sonic" restaurant and they were all out of Sonic Sauce (tm) so I had to settle for an old pouch of Awesome Sauce. It was past its expiration so it was only 'Pretty Good" sauce. :roll:

And so I am like half the people on this forum. Answering the post they are on, not slogging through every one to see if something else was said and then forgetting what they were going to reply to in the first place.

To be honest, in this place?
More like answering a question which is almost, but not quite, what was asked, disappearing down more rabbit-holes than the Matrix and Alice in Wonderland combined and then finally descending into an incomprehensible mish-mash of not-quite-justified argument and Monty Python sketches.

A wierd lot at best, we are...

Its no longer open. However if you'd like me to put your name down as a reserve I'll pop it down and contact you in the future if a spot does come up.

Back