List of Languages?

triton

Mongoose
Is there a list of languages in the book? If so, I can't find it.
I have the 2003 hardbound AE.

Of course, you can read through the Gazeteer to hunt for them, but it's not alphabetical, which makes it slighly inconvenient. I would think someone somewhere has compiled a list. If not, I guess I'll get around to doing it when I start my campaign and repost here.

Thanks!

I think this is a complete list (from A-to-Z) for the languages in the Conan AE book.

Acheronian
Afghuli
Aquilonian
Argossean
Bakalah
Bamulah
Black Coast
Bossonian
Brythunian
Cimmerian
Corinthian
Darfari
Demonic
Ghanatan
Hyperborean
Hyrkanian
Iranistani
Keshani
Kezankian
Khitan
Kosalan
Kothic
Kushite
Nemedian
Nordheimer
Old Stygian
Ophirean
Pictish
Puntan
Shemitish
Southern Islander
Stygian
Suba
Talking Drum
Tibu
Tombalku
Vendhyan
Wadai
Yeutshi
Zamorian
Zembabwean
Zingaran

Just remember that some languages are very similar and usually just have regional dialects. Some examples are.

Hyborian: Aquilonian, Argossean, Corinthian, Nemedian, and Ophirean.

The main language here is Hyborian, but the regions each have their own dialect. The Road of Kings has more details about how to use dialects with the rules.

Other similar language families include:
Khari: Hyperborean, Stygian, and Khitan
Black Kingdoms: Amazonian, Darfari, Keshani, Kushite, Puntian, and Zembabwean.

I took this mostly from the GURPS Conan book btw.

quigs said:
Just remember that some languages are very similar and usually just have regional dialects. Some examples are.

Hyborian: Aquilonian, Argossean, Corinthian, Nemedian, and Ophirean.

The main language here is Hyborian, but the regions each have their own dialect. The Road of Kings has more details about how to use dialects with the rules.

Other similar language families include:
Khari: Hyperborean, Stygian, and Khitan
Black Kingdoms: Amazonian, Darfari, Keshani, Kushite, Puntian, and Zembabwean.

I took this mostly from the GURPS Conan book btw.

That seemed initially kind of sketchy to me, then I saw that it was taken from GURPS, so I'm not sure that provides any more "legitimacy" really. Hyborian is a race, not an overarching category for languages, as far as I know. Just as the Caucasian race is spread across Europe, the Hyborian race is spread through a section of the continent, but just as the Caucasian race uses a different language (though fairly attenuated relationship, e.g. Latin roots), I see the various countries with Hyborian races having different languages that are more than just different dialects. The GURPS solution may have been due to languages learning being more difficult than the Conan RPG. But I doubt that the same language is in Hyperborea, Khitai, and Stygia and is merely a different dialect in each location! Even if rooted in the same language, a thousand or more years have passed since the races went to each of these areas, and given the limited communication, surely changed substantially.

It's taken from liguistics.

English is a Franco-Germanic dialect, for example.

This link is a good source for human language trees of the various language families.

In Hyboria, I'd say that there are fewer language families, or rather fewer branches off a parent language, depending on how you want to look at it.

Thank you Conan (the Librarian), that was very helpful. It is a bit more extensive than the character sheet list.

Andronicus said:
If you look on the character sheet, there is a pretty extensive list right there. ;)
If you have a 3.5 PHB (or the SRD) you can look under the Speak Language skill [absent from Conan] to see what I am talking about. Not only does it give the language, it tells you who speaks it, and what alphabet it uses.
It seems like you would need that "table" more in Conan than D&D. In D&D, you can generally figure out who speaks Giant or Goblin, etc. just from the name.

Conan characters don't usually need to use skill points to buy languages, as they get a lot more at 1st level as well as a bonus language at every other level after that.

Usually I make my PC's take their bonus languages from their race first, then after they have all of those, they can start learning others that may be more distant from their home region.

Or I assign them the bonus language for the region I run their next adventure in, to make sure they can speak it if needed.

Sutek said:
It's taken from liguistics.

English is a Franco-Germanic dialect, for example.

This link is a good source for human language trees of the various language families.

In Hyboria, I'd say that there are fewer language families, or rather fewer branches off a parent language, depending on how you want to look at it.

And? That still doesn't change my point that it seems highly unlikely that all the Hyborian languages are mere a dialect of one another, such that one really only needs one language entitled "Hyborian" to make oneself understood throughout those languages.

Back