Leadership in space combat

Josh77

Mongoose
I saw in another thread that the leadership skill can grant bonuses in space combat similar to how it does in ground combat. Where does it say this? The only captain action I see concerning leadership is the bonus it can give to initiative. Am I missing something? And if this is true, does it count as the captain's action instead of being able to take the action that grants the initiative bonus? Thanks in advance.

The only thing I can find is that they can make a leadership check each round, and the effect affects initiative for one space combat turn.
(Core 2022 p171)

The only thing I can find is that they can make a leadership check each round, and the effect affects initiative for one space combat turn.
(Core 2022 p171)
Yeah, that's all I saw too. In this thread, adzling claims leadership can be used to give bonuses in combat:

But I'm not seeing that anywhere.

Man I forgot about that other thread. But as I see I said in that one, it's an obvious application of Mongoose' long-standing Task Chain rule. Which, I gather from other threads, not every group uses as much as I got used to doing in 1e. So I may be in a minority in going that direction, but it's well founded.

Where does it say this?

It doesn't really. The question becomes, do you take the Task Chain rule at it's plain English meaning, OR do you require that every possible application of Task Chains be spelled out for you? Both are coherent positions, but paradoxically you can't do both. In MongTrav, running strictly by the book (which includes task chains), and only using options that are explicitly spelled out, are mutually contradictory positions.

And if this is true, does it count as the captain's action instead of being able to take the action that grants the initiative bonus?

Well it's an action anyway, so it runs up against the general rule of -2 for doing two things at once. And you want to be careful about stacking minuses onto task chain attempts, as well as onto your initiative.

Back