K'kree Lexicon

G'Naakbusters

Cosmic Mongoose
Do you wish to converse with your friendly neighbourhood murder-horses? (Actual friendliness levels of murder-horses may vary depending on diet). Of course you do!

I gathered information from all editions of Traveller and supporting material, to give what I hope is a thus-far comprehensive K'kree lexicon:

If I missed any, let me know!

Ours, not theirs, right?
Indeed! With friendliness levels ranging from "you're alright, if different and so a bit untrustworthy" if you're a full vegan (not to be confused with a Vegan, though I believe the Tyui are mostly herbivores), through "tolerating your existence" and "begrudgingly tolerating your existence for now, you foul alien" (that's where I'd be placed, probably), to "you are evil filth that must be murdered at once", depending on how much meat you eat.

Indeed! With friendliness levels ranging from "you're alright, if different and so a bit untrustworthy" if you're a full vegan (not to be confused with a Vegan, though I believe the Tyui are mostly herbivores), through "tolerating your existence" and "begrudgingly tolerating your existence for now, you foul alien" (that's where I'd be placed, probably), to "you are evil filth that must be murdered at once", depending on how much meat you eat.
So, I'm guessing my cats would be immediately stomped into a bloody pulp.

Aslan (not cats, really, just you know, more like samurai felines) are also primarily meat eaters, so it's a good thing the Third Imperium sits between the K'kree and Aslan realms. I'm imagining an interstellar cage fight with lots of glazed planets....

So, I'm guessing my cats would be immediately stomped into a bloody pulp.

Aslan (not cats, really, just you know, more like samurai felines) are also primarily meat eaters, so it's a good thing the Third Imperium sits between the K'kree and Aslan realms. I'm imagining an interstellar cage fight with lots of glazed planets....

Welcome one and all, to tonight's fight here on the (Lords of) THUNDERDOME!!!

Aslan (not cats, really, just you know, more like samurai felines) are also primarily meat eaters, so it's a good thing the Third Imperium sits between the K'kree and Aslan realms.
I always wonder if there are Aslan and K'kree who realise this and are quietly grateful for it. Without a sizeable Human polity, the Aslan and K'kree would eventually meet and once they did, I don't see how they could avoid full-on genocidal war. Granted, both races came to an understanding with Humans, but that's largely because Humans can at least learn to comprehend Aslan honour codes and K'kree are pragmatic enough to keep the peace with a potentially redeemable omnivore race. Aslan being near-obligate carnivores (that one telepathic colony in Afawahisa aside) would short-circuit any pragmatism, I suspect, especially with ihatei meaning inevitable border creep. Plus, K'kree wouldn't place any value on foreign (carnivore!) honour codes and we all know how intolerant Aslan are in turn of anyone who behaves dishonourably. Cooler heads would be in short supply, I assume, since each side would have a powerful moral imperative to destroy the other.

Of course, without Human expansion the Aslan wouldn't--WOULD TOTALLY HAVE JUMP DRIVE BECAUSE THEY ARE A MAJOR RACE YES INDEED NO QUESTION-- and would probably have world-warred themselves extinct. Ah, Humans. The cause of, and solution to, all of the galaxy's problems...

Aslan are on the Coyns, so they must have been destined to have invented jump-drive, right? Maybe? Or is there another cat-like undiscovered major race out there?
But anyway nice work on K'kree lexicon!
Also unrelated, a year or two ago I saw (or might have hallucinated) someone that did a whole illustrated Zhodani grammar. Anyone know anything about that?

Aslan are on the Coyns, so they must have been destined to have invented jump-drive, right?
I'm not sure if it's book-canon that the Six Races were on the ancient form of the coyns, but in my head canon (and we can all agree that that's the only canon that really matters) they were, mainly because it really tickles me. I take no position on whether this is precognition or a declaration of intent to Uplift.

I always wonder if there are Aslan and K'kree who realise this and are quietly grateful for it. Without a sizeable Human polity, the Aslan and K'kree would eventually meet and once they did, I don't see how they could avoid full-on genocidal war.
There are likely members of both who know this. How well connected to their respective nations they may be is a different question.
As a widely dispersed species, the Fteirle will certainly have encountered the K'kree Embassies, and at least some of those encounters were not immediately fatal. Twenty plus years of tasteless meme aside, the Fteirle are not likely to want a BBQ, but are certainly smart enough to know the threat the K'kree represent...
And some fumbling idiot probably let the K'kree know *exactly* where to find the homeworld of these unrepentant carnivores who are otherwise allowed to roam around loose. The Vargr can at least be taught.

There are likely members of both who know this. How well connected to their respective nations they may be is a different question.
As a widely dispersed species, the Fteirle will certainly have encountered the K'kree Embassies, and at least some of those encounters were not immediately fatal. Twenty plus years of tasteless meme aside, the Fteirle are not likely to want a BBQ, but are certainly smart enough to know the threat the K'kree represent...
And some fumbling idiot probably let the K'kree know *exactly* where to find the homeworld of these unrepentant carnivores who are otherwise allowed to roam around loose. The Vargr can at least be taught.
Out of interest, since I believe they were your creation (I also made several references to the linguistic patterns evident on the Map, which were also yours), do you agree with my interpretation of "Rak'kagh" as "Those Who Are Vigilant"? That seemed to be the immediate meaning, and since you describe them as savvy and permitted to operate vessels without K'kree oversight while having eyes that can move and focus independently...

Those would be the giant space parrots, who operate mostly in the core-trailing parts of K'kree space. Why? Because all of the trusted logistics clients are locally protected by relationships with powerful Patriarchs of the K'kree. The Rak'kagh aren't particularly energetic as individuals, but one side effect of their dietary needs, being arboreal seekers of nuts and berries, is that they are indeed very sharp-sighted. "Vigilant" might be the wrong translation, though. "Observant" is closer. Outsiders who encounter them characterize them easily: "They don't miss much".

Back