Just thinking...

Voltumna

Mongoose
Is this too far fetched?

Total defense is a standard action.

You can take a standard and a move action in a round.

With greater feint you can feint all threatened opponents with a move action.

With web of death you can make AOOs on anyone who makes an attack on you, while total defending.

If your charachter has both improved feint and web of death, and you win initiative:

Could you take a move action to feint your opponents, then declare total defense, then if one of them attacks you, could you take an AOO that denies him his DV bonus?

Seems legal to me. But your wording on Improved Feint confuses me a bit. The way I read the rules you choose one opponent to feint, and this is the only opponent you will be allowed a "DV 10" AoO against.

I thought total defence was a full round action, but I have not the rulebook in front of me, so I'm not sure. If this changed for Atlantean Edition -which I didn't buy- make me know, please.

In any event, I got what you want to say. The feat you were intending to use was Greater Feint, from Across the Thunder River, which allows to feint more than one foe -I think it could be used to feint all of your enemies. If total defence works as you said and you use Greater Feint, well, then your idea would work (in fact it would be very good).
And the body count would be high, no doubt about it :twisted:

By the way, I pray my powergaming player doesn't read this :lol:

Turim said:
Seems legal to me. But your wording on Improved Feint confuses me a bit. The way I read the rules you choose one opponent to feint, and this is the only opponent you will be allowed a "DV 10" AoO against.

I meant greater feint.

Maximo said:
I thought total defence was a full round action, but I have not the rulebook in front of me, so I'm not sure. If this changed for Atlantean Edition -which I didn't buy- make me know, please.

Same here, still using the old book.

Maximo said:
The feat you were intending to use was Greater Feint, from Across the Thunder River

Exactly.

Maximo said:
which allows to feint more than one foe -I think it could be used to feint all of your enemies. If total defence works as you said and you use Greater Feint, well, then your idea would work (in fact it would be very good).
And the body count would be high, no doubt about it :twisted:

:twisted:

Maximo said:
By the way, I pray my powergaming player doesn't read this :lol:

Oops, sorry. For a thief it would be possible to get all the feats at 15th level, since greater feint requires a +10 BAB. A soldier could be there at 10th.

cyrus said:
The rules forbid making attacks of opportunity when employing Total Defense. (AE, p 159)

The feat Web of Death allows you to make AOOs when someone attacks you while in Total Defendse. As per Combat Reflexes, which is a prerequisite for Web of Death, you can make as many extra AOOs as your dexterity bonus. The AOOs are dealt after you are attacked each time.

Voltumna: My mistake. You did refer to Greater Feint in the first example, but since I don't have Across the Thunder River I assumed you meant Improved Feint.

Maximo: Total Defense is a standard action in D&D 3.5, the old version of Conan the RPG, and in the Atlantean Edition.

cyrus: The Web of Death feat specifically allows AoOs while using Total Defense, with the exception that your AoO resolves after the attack that triggered it.

Turim said:
cyrus: The Web of Death feat specifically allows AoOs while using Total Defense, with the exception that your AoO resolves after the attack that triggered it.
You're right - a total brain fart by me this morning!

It sounds ok but reallies on one major factor. Your opponents have to attack you.The enemies you bluff are going to know that they have lost the sense motive check and after slaughtering one, or two(if your GM is generous) will attack other opponents instead. Or any that manage to beat your bluff test will attack you whilest the looses will aid them. If no one you have bluffed attacks you before your next combat round you have basically wasted your chance to deal any damage.
As your character gains reputation and is recognised, more likely since your high level requirement to get Greater Feint, your opponents could very well have heard of your style and be wise to it before initiative is even rolled.

Someone with greater feint probably wouldn't wait to see if he is going to be attacked to make his own attacks. It seems to me a good maneuver when you are being outnumbered. The question including greater feint is because I paly thieves a lot. Still, anyone can bebefit from a feint if you manage to pull one. Attacking vs DV=10 is hard to miss, and even if you don't usually finesse, you could as well take the chance to do it to completely bypass armour.

AZZA said:
The enemies you bluff are going to know that they have lost the sense motive check and after slaughtering one, or two(if your GM is generous) will attack other opponents instead. Or any that manage to beat your bluff test will attack you whilest the looses will aid them.

It seems possible to me that you could also know who wasn't feinted, unless he is trying to feint you as well, in which case he will have a single attack against you. In situations like these, the most probable case (unless your GM wants to kill you) would be that either you are being surrounded by a bunch of mooks, or a gang of mostly mooks with a more experienced leader. You can always choose which AoOs to deal. If you have spoted someone more dangerous among your assailants, then you wait till he attacks you, hoping that the mooks don't finish with you first. Mooks will have a harder time hitting you as well, since you have an imoproved DV, though they will begin to dilute it after the first attack, because of the stacked to hit bonus they get. This is interesting. You will only be able to defend more efficiently against a score of attackes, and the later will get to you when you are being overwhelmed so to speak. Still I think I like the idea. You could get a bonus of +4,+6 or +8 from total defense (total defense, tumble bonus and defensive martial arts).

AZZA said:
As your character gains reputation and is recognised, more likely since your high level requirement to get Greater Feint, your opponents could very well have heard of your style and be wise to it before initiative is even rolled.

Indeed, and that's where you would want them, standing back. Of course they could see you, leave, then ambush you somewhere in a bad time for you.

Back