Just read Paranoia XP /service pack one/

Clangador

Mongoose
So, I played the first edition a couple times. I GMed 5th edition for a couple weeks way back. Now that there is a new edition and it is supported, I'm thinking of GMing some straight or classic games of it. Anything I should know or consider before inflicting it on my players?

Welcome, citizen Clangador! Before you run PARANOIA, it is prudent to ensure everyone in your group is on approximately the same wavelength regarding the tone you desire. Or, if they are all first-timers new to the setting, you should expect either (A) initial reluctance by the players to plot against one another, in which case you must play up their conflicting secret society missions and otherwise sow dissension, or (B) initial Zap-style exuberance as they gleefully shoot each other in the back.

You'll find many helpful resources and useful discussions on the leading PARANOIA fan site, Paranoia-Live.net (www.paranoia-live.net). Over 1,000 loyal citizens are registered, and the congenial atmosphere is entirely unlike that of Alpha Complex. Hope to see you there!

Allen Varney said:
and the congenial atmosphere is entirely unlike that of Alpha Complex. Hope to see you there!

Citizen! Are you in some way unhappy with life and morale in Alpha Complex? Such statements are treasonous!!!

:twisted:

LBH

Allen Varney said:
Welcome, citizen Clangador! Before you run PARANOIA, it is prudent to ensure everyone in your group is on approximately the same wavelength regarding the tone you desire. Or, if they are all first-timers new to the setting, you should expect either (A) initial reluctance by the players to plot against one another, in which case you must play up their conflicting secret society missions and otherwise sow dissension, or (B) initial Zap-style exuberance as they gleefully shoot each other in the back.

You'll find many helpful resources and useful discussions on the leading PARANOIA fan site, Paranoia-Live.net (www.paranoia-live.net). Over 1,000 loyal citizens are registered, and the congenial atmosphere is entirely unlike that of Alpha Complex. Hope to see you there!

I don't thinl we'll have any problems with the PCs plotting against each other. They already do that.

The original publisher of PARANOIA, West End Games, published three editions of the game in the 1980s and early '90s. The third and last edition (1993) was confusingly titled "Fifth Edition" -- it was intended as a joke, which shows the level of humor the line had descended to by then. "Fifth Edition" is by far the least popular of all the editions.

Allen Varney said:
The original publisher of PARANOIA, West End Games, published three editions of the game in the 1980s and early '90s. The third and last edition (1993) was confusingly titled "Fifth Edition" -- it was intended as a joke, which shows the level of humor the line had descended to by then. "Fifth Edition" is by far the least popular of all the editions.

Why is that? I have the 5th edition, and it doesn't seem that bad.

From what I've heard there were some streamlining problems. With XP streamlining problems are a physical impossibility. I could run a zap game with a bunch of 5 year olds if I wanted to! They're sadistic enough!

Clangador said:
Why is that? I have the 5th edition, and it doesn't seem that bad.

:shock: Shudders at the thought of the illustrations alone, let alone the supplements... Creatures of the Nightcycle anyone? :shock:

Not as bad as the 80ft Comunist Teddy bear robot I created for zap.

"Bourgeious pigs! It is I Teddybotski and I vill break you!"

He had flamethrowers and a crushing hug!

darth_azabrush said:

You are scary. Much more scary that your avatar indicates. :lol:

Why is that? I have the 5th edition, and it doesn't seem that bad

Hey! First Edition is better! The cartoonish characters in 5th Edition give me nightmares if I don't take my medicine as the Computer recommends. :)

I let my players read 5th Edition so they don't catch on to the real game!

Speaking of Classic, I actually miss the skill tree and resolution chart of first edition. So Terminate Me! Yeah, just try it! The barrel of my lazer is [deleted for security reasons], and nothing you wear is gonna help you!

darth_azabrush said:

Excellent! *rubs hands together as if a plan has come to fruition nicely* I've been here all of less than ten whole minutes and already I've found an idea to ste...er "borrow."

xombie said:
darth_azabrush said:

Excellent! *rubs hands together as if a plan has come to fruition nicely* I've been here all of less than ten whole minutes and already I've found an idea to ste...er "borrow."

I note the rules don't really have any rules to cover this type of stuff. :shock:

Back