Just a Dumb Question

Avollant

Mongoose
I just realized that Drivethru had 2 version of the Core Manual 2020. Once is the regular one and the over is the tablet version.

Where I'm scratching my head is why the regular one is 79.9 MB and the tablet one a simple 19.7 MB...

Where's the catch?

I just realized that Drivethru had 2 version of the Core Manual 2020. Once is the regular one and the over is the tablet version.

Where I'm scratching my head is why the regular one is 79.9 MB and the tablet one a simple 19.7 MB...

Where's the catch?
Part of it is probably the formatting of the data. Just like there’s a size difference between PDF and word files.

On both PDF?
PDFs are different depending on the device and the shell. The more specialized the device and the shell the smaller the PDF can be. Or to put it this way the more of the formatting the device and shell takes care of the less that has to be in the PDF. While both PDFs will run on your tablet the smaller one defaults to your tablet’s formatting. You would probably run into some problems trying to run the tablet version on a desktop computer because it lacks much of the formatting for that medium. Before PDFs the same file could look vastly different on different PCs because each one interpreted the formatting differently.

When they were created, the tablet version was made as a smaller file as it was intended for a smaller device with a smaller screen and less power. Simple as that. Sometimes versions for laptops are produced at slightly higher level of detail but in most cases the human eye really can't tell. I even go so far as to use 3rd party software to compress my pdfs even more as they open and scroll very quickly, which is what you need for rulebooks. I spend almost no time at all zooming in on the pictures. A pdf's size is mostly about the images, not the text, so don't worry, nothing is missing!

Back