Judgre Dredd, new edition a real Newbie !!!

Nabukodo

Mongoose
Hello Folks, give me please some advice, what I need in order to Gming a Judgre Dredd game ? And is it really cool ?

- I will need the traveller book I think
- The Judge Dredd sourcebook
- What about the other supplements ? Bad moon and Players Guide ?
- The Traveller GM Screen, could it be good or usuful for Judge Dredd ? and what about the Stronthium Dogs and the forthcoming megacity book ?

Never play tTraveller before and I'm not a crack in the Judge Dredd Universe but it looks really cool.

Thanks you for your precious advices. I will wait for them prior to do my purchases. Thanks in advance

:)

Nabukodo said:
Hello Folks, give me please some advice, what I need in order to Gming a Judgre Dredd game ? And is it really cool ?

- The Traveller GM Screen, could it be good or usuful for Judge Dredd ? and what about the Stronthium Dogs and the forthcoming megacity book ?

Never play tTraveller before and I'm not a crack in the Judge Dredd Universe but it looks really cool.

The only books required are the Traveller Core Rulebook and Judge Dredd. Strontium Dog is a separate product from Judge Dredd that also uses the Traveller System.

Bad Boom Rising and Democracy Falls are adventures you can use with Judge Dredd.

Judge's Handbook adds support for various specialty squads and like along with some equipment (including vehicles and spaceships).

Options in some of the other Traveller books can be applied depending on what you are looking for.

Judge Dredd (story/setting) is very cool! I suggest you go to your local comic shop, or on line, and look for any of the comics you can find and read them. That will help you get a good feel for the setting. The movie with Sly Stallone is so/so, but wouldn't hurt. As for what products to get for the game, I couldn't tell you past the main rule book.

Yep, as stated, you need the Traveller Core Rules (try to pick up the second printing - or you could get the Pocket Edition, if you like) and the Dredd rulebook... but having a good read of the comics will give you lots of ideas about how Mega-City One works.

If getting hard copies is difficult, you can get a couple of Dredd collections in PDF format. I'd particularly recommend Case Files Vol 2 and The Pit, for two different approaches to the same city. Origins is ace, but less useful for the day-to-day activites of judges.

And you should take a look at the last two Signs & Portents (75 & 76) for some excellent short-form street encounters.

There's room to do almost anything in MC-1, which is both brilliant and a bit intimidating... Have fun!

Ned

Hi there,
Nabukodo said:
Hello Folks, give me please some advice, what I need in order to Gming a Judgre Dredd game ? And is it really cool ?)
OK - I spent 2009 running, as a newbie, a Traveller campaign in the Third Imperium (Spinward Marches). I am due to run a Traveller Judge Dredd campaign this year. However severe snow means that I will be running it later on this year. I've got copies of Bad Moon Rising (BMR) and Democracy Falls (DF). I'm working my way through BMR and so far its OK.

A word about book quality. In 2008 (I think), Mongoose had quality control problems - I had to get my copies of the Babylon 5 A Call to Arms hardbacks replaced - for free. Sometime after that I got the Traveller Core book (3 copies of it) and it lacked cross references to other parts of the books. And some people didn't like the art, either:) However, when I bought Judge Dredd / Hammer's Slammers / Strontium Dogs, it seemed to show that the quality control problems are over (bar a few spelling mistakes).
Nabukodo said:

Thanks you for your precious advices. I will wait for them prior to do my purchases. Thanks in advance
:)

Here is what I think you would need:-
* Traveller Core Rule Book (at least 2 copies, 1 for GM, 1 for players)
* Judge Dredd book
* An adventure book - either Bad Moon Rising or Democracy Falls
* Traveller GM screen - not so sure about this one. I started playing MGT before the GM screen was available and I just photocopied tables and glued them to the inside front and back covers of my main copy of the Traveller core rule book.

Nabukodo said:

Hi there,
First of all welcome to the exciting worlds of Judge Dredd roleplaying I am sure that you will really enjoy them.

All you really need to get yourself started is a copy of the core rulebook and the Traveller core rule book, some dice and a few friends. As for adventures, Bad Moon Rising is awesome and well worth picking up and I can't recommend it highly enough. You should perhaps start by downloading a few back issues of Signs and Portents from the S&P section of the Mongoose Publishing site and looking through them for scenario hooks, adventures, perp rap sheets and more, and you can always check out John Calibers site www.johncaliber.com for a lot of information on Judge Dredd or my site Dredd Times for free adventures and such from the end of the month.

Hope this helps
Marc

Thanks everybody for those cues. I really appreciate and I also wish to thank you for the links and for the good advices !

Back