Judge Dredd

So what is the current status of the Dredd RPG? I'm about to start a campaign with a new group of players and I was wondering if anything new is going to be released for it.

Having looked at the thread on a 2nd Edition I am curious also if this is official or not.

Cheers,

D

It seems to be dead in the water from what I can tell - Mongoose look to be concentrating on Gangs of Mega City One (which is a fun time but not, IMO, as fun a time as the RPG) - however, if you can get hold of 2000ad and the Megazine, you have a constant source of ideas and background right there... I do love the Dredd RPG and Mongoose have done it proud so far, it's just a shame that there seems to be nothing new for it - even in Signs & Portents.

Cheers numanti. Does anyone know what the contract situation is between Mongoose and Rebellion A/S? ie was it a short term license or a limited publication license or have Mongoose just stopped doing stuff for it?

D

numanti said:
It seems to be dead in the water from what I can tell - Mongoose look to be concentrating on Gangs of Mega City One (which is a fun time but not, IMO, as fun a time as the RPG) - however, if you can get hold of 2000ad and the Megazine, you have a constant source of ideas and background right there... I do love the Dredd RPG and Mongoose have done it proud so far, it's just a shame that there seems to be nothing new for it - even in Signs & Portents.

Its a damn shame there are soo many rookie guides that could still slide out.....c'mon you lot lets have more JD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock:

I agree, the factory floor has been far too empty of JD RPG stuff for too long! :x

GET MORE STUFF WRITTEN.......please!!????? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't think there is a shortage of written articles, but the line is dead. Don't get me wrong, I would love to buy new Dredd RPG materials, but other than a rare article in S&P there just isn't likely to be anything else released. I tried screaming and shouting for new releases last year and got nowhere.

There still exists the posibility of 2nd Edition which would drastically change the rules, but I doubt we will see that anytime soon.

If you haven't already, give GOMC1 while waiting and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. If, in the unlikely event that GOMC1 is not for you, it is still worth collecting the miniatures from that line to support your Dredd RPG.

Arabin

Gangs is the most fun mini game ever! Plus it's set in Mega-City 1. How can you go wrong as a Dreddhead? :twisted:

I still have two supplements (Rookies Guides) on my laptop that are both nearly finished should I ever get the green light *hint hint Matthew*

A second edition would really rock, but what would you want to see in it? Should it go OGL like Starship Troopers? Should it be Judges only, with support added later for Citizens? Lets get that ball rolling once more.

Marc

I'd like it to be OGL like Starship Troopers so I don't need D&D books with it. Frankly, I'd like it to use metric system and maybe even go to levelless. Basic book could very well be judges only but it would be great to have some sort of "monster manual" at the GM's section that gives stats for typical NPCs (like punks, Futzies and even mutants). I think it is great that it is possible to play a citizen campaign but maybe it should be reserved for a supplement to make more room for information on justice department etc.

I was seriously considering picking up the RPG for christmas. But my shelf was loaded with games that no longer had support. A big reason why I will no longer buy into any game Wizards of the coast produces. One reason why I always loved Mongoose so much was they generally support the lines they do with quality items. I'd like to see more adventures released for some of the lines but that's a seperate issue.

The books that are out for JD seem good, but I agree that there are alot that could be done not just adventures. It is making me think twice before buying the core book with seeing nothing on the coming soon list.

I sort of agree, but if you consider 2000ad and the Judge Dredd Megazine, and everything that is available around those titles as background material, there is plenty.

For the Dredd RPG, there is also this fact;

Every X-Files episode, and virtually any horror / sci-fi / thriller movie or book is an easily converted JDRPG scenario.

Judge Dredd as an RPG is so easy to fit virtually any modern or near future story idea to, once you are comfortable with the set-up of Justice Department.

The already released Rookies Guides are more than enough to last for years of playing. I recommend the Rookies Guides to; Psionics, Block Wars, Justice Deparment and Crazes as must haves, with the others as highly desirable. The published scenario's are also superb.

I'd love to see Mongoose publish more stuff, especially because Judge Dredd is such a rich rolepaying universe - far richer and more diverse than, say, ooh - Starship Troopers which is SO limited and holds zero appeal for me. (and there is plenty of scope for joining the military and fighting giant cockroaches in the Dreddverse anyway...)

Currently on my hard drive (on one or other of my machines that is) I have draft copies of Luna-1, Cursed Earth, Luxor, Crazes 2, and the Apocalypse War, Judgement Day and finally Necropolis. If I ever get the green light these will be finished.

Marc

UMW said:
Want good J.D. stories... watch the news! It's crazy as hell out there man! :D :shock:

If you are talking about JD fiction there, let me know I have dozens here on my hard drive, and can always submit them to the RPG version of S&P now that they are carrying fiction.

Marc

Dredd Times said:
If you are talking about JD fiction there, let me know I have dozens here on my hard drive, and can always submit them to the RPG version of S&P now that they are carrying fiction.

Marc

S&P can't include fiction for any licensed game, I'm afraid...

As a long time 2000AD and JD fan (read: rabid supporter) I'm kicking myself for not picking up d20 JD earlier. Now that I have, I'd hate to see the support for the game fall out.
However, what Mongoose has done thus far is commendable and I really like what I've read.

GOMC1 is next on my list to purchase. It reminds me a lot of Necromunda, another game I dearly love. Necromunda + Judge Dreddiverse = Pure Awesome.
:)

Back