Joining Freya's Daughters

MongooseKat

Administrator
Staff member
In Shield Maidens, every player takes on the role of a female warrior. Shield Maidens aren’t necessarily born female, but all serve under the auspices of the rebel goddess Freya. Even though they are a single group, there’s a lot of variety to be enjoyed during character creation.

After deciding on a concept, players are allowed to spend points on Branch Skills and sub-skills, adding to the variety in-between characters, but that’s not all: they also get to create their own unique Guardian Shield. In the Training Guide, there are 6 hubs to choose from, such as the Wotoan Hub, which carries the accumulated wisdom of ages within its frame. Choosing this hub grants its bearers points in two sub-skills on the Understanding branch.

As you might notice, Guardian Shields aren’t just a way to defend or expand one’s abilities: they also reflect your character’s personality (or the other way around), adding to the roleplaying experience as a whole. We’re definitely looking forward to you finding out more about these iconic shields!

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/shield-maidens
shield_1-jpg.153110
 

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
cots5 said:
So, there cannot be male or non-binary characters?

Hey there,

You can absolutely have non-binary characters as Shield Maidens. As for the men, we have this in the very first stretch goal:

Allies
Allies are the male counterparts of the Shield Maidens, drawn from the Resistance and enhanced with chrome that is overclocked in battle. They follow multiple gods, forming sects to receive divine favour. This PDF supplement provides everything you need to create Allies to play alongside Shield Maidens in your campaigns.


Hope that helps!
 

steelbrok

Banded Mongoose
TBH, I think the Allies option should be built into the Core rules otherwise you're very limiting of the character types that can be played.
 

locarno24

Mongoose
Must say I love the art style.
The primer's artwork of the longhouse with an eighties-style jukebox next to the firepit made me smile a lot for some reason.

Also, I like the universally available accessibility aid - we've not seen the injury rules yet, but the idea that as long as a player's Shield Maiden survives a session, replacement extremities are available means the GM doesn't need to be too cautious about inflicting serious and memorable injury on that character without worrying too much about sending them back to character creation mid-campaign.

One question - given that the Shield Maiden's Training Guide is essentially a 'players handbook', I assume there's no starter adventure in it; is there any pre-written intro adventures currently planned other than The Sun?
 

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
locarno24 said:
One question - given that the Shield Maiden's Training Guide is essentially a 'players handbook', I assume there's no starter adventure in it; is there any pre-written intro adventures currently planned other than The Sun?

We do indeed have some other bits and pieces in the works!
 

locarno24

Mongoose
Glad to hear it.

Also:

steelbrok said:
TBH, I think the Allies option should be built into the Core rules otherwise you're very limiting of the character types that can be played.

They have now passed the funding tier to unlock that, I believe.
 

steelbrok

Banded Mongoose
locarno24 said:
Glad to hear it.

Also:

steelbrok said:
TBH, I think the Allies option should be built into the Core rules otherwise you're very limiting of the character types that can be played.

They have now passed the funding tier to unlock that, I believe.

Indeed they have and thus I have backed the project
 
Top