Islands In The Rift - Stress Index question

stevenpoore

Mongoose
I'm considering running Islands In The Rift for a crew fresh to Traveller - I know it isn't one of the standard introductory scenarios, but it does have a broad scope for travel, trade, and shenanigans at the same time as being limited to two subsectors and thereby not being too overwhelming.
1694036997211.png
While reading through the adventure, I noticed that the Stress Index comes into play, with Stress Checks as described in the screenshot to the right. The Stress check is an Easy (2+) END check - but I get the feeling there should be more to it? Should the Stress Index be a negative DM on the check?

I would expect it to be, but you are right that there are no such rules. As written, Stress Index has no effect unless your character has a less than 6 END. Something is clearly missing from the description or so well hidden I can't find it.

This was done better (by the same author) in Deepnight Revelations as a Fatigue Index (Referee's Handbook, p. 41 - 42), but at the cost of additional recordkeeping. Probably ought to have been added to the Companion update (just checked to see, but it's not).

I like the Fatigue Index, but if it were up to me, I'd make it potentially even more complicated by adding factors such as crew accommodations (double or single staterooms, how much common area, any biosphere?, what about training facilities?) to make those design decisions more meaningful in High Guard.

Not having the Deepnight books what is the way of "earning" back Fatigue?

Using FG (or any VTT) to run the game should make tracking things like that much easier. Can code it as an 'effect' that increases or decreases over time etc.

(I was slightly wrong on the reference... the fatigue section continues after being interrupted by full page art to cover the de-fatigue and goes all the way from p. 41-45.)
Short answer: Long break (a few weeks at a port) it completely resets.
Any break at a friendly port will drop the fatigue index by -1D every 3 days; if it's crappy world accommodations -D3 or so, until it resets at 0.

Fatigue is more complicated than that Stress Index, with DMs for how good the crew is and other stuff, but basically, getting out of the ship even if it's a crappy bar at a crappy port, that is what helps de-stress.

The big difference in the two systems is the scale. The Fatigue system is designed around a really long term crew fatigue, so it is months of continuous travel to hit that kind of fatigue. The Stress index is targeted around individual stress over weeks. But the fatigue system is complete, while the stress system does not feel that way.

Cheers, all. I appreciate the differences in scale and I can see how the Fatigue Index evolved from the Stress Check. I think Vormaerin has it right that Stress is incomplete in the adventure. My errata for that would be to run Stress check as an Easy (2+) END check with Stress Index as a negative DM. :)

A counselor was a position aboard Starfleet vessels and installations, usually held by a senior Starfleet officer with training in psychology and psychiatry, with the intention of helping their patients with overall mental wellness.

By the mid-24th century, starship and starbase crews included a counselor, who was responsible for the mental well-being of the crew and civilian staff. The position was considered vital enough that it warranted inclusion in the senior staff of the Federation flagship; in that instance at least, the ship's counselor also had a diplomatic role, advising the captain in first contacts and other situations.

As with the chief medical officer, the ship's counselor has the power to relieve other officers and crewmembers of duty if he or she feels that their patient is suffering from a condition that may hinder their ability to perform their duties effectively, including the ships captain.

In an early draft of TNG: "Relics", Counselor Troi explained that the responsibility of a ship's counselor was to take care of the emotional well-being of a ship's crew and guests. Starfleet began assigning counselors to starships in the 2330s, after they realized that the pressures of extended space travel could result in psychological problems that would require professional care.

i mean, i'm not sure how the characters will turn out, but the players i have in mind definitely need a ship's counsellor... :p
That sounds like something that they could add to the High Guard crew position rosters. Stewards look after the passengers, so maybe the crew position rosters should include a Steward-like position to look after the crew and offer advice to the Command Staff.
That position would not really find much traction among yer average psychotic Free Teader crew, and I suppose many Scout players might wonder what they would be paying Counsellors for when they can just create a Virtual Counsellor software package ...

That sounds like something that they could add to the High Guard crew position rosters. Stewards look after the passengers, so maybe the crew position rosters should include a Steward-like position to look after the crew and offer advice to the Command Staff.
That position would not really find much traction among yer average psychotic Free Teader crew, and I suppose many Scout players might wonder what they would be paying Counsellors for when they can just create a Virtual Counsellor software package ...
This is an excellent idea for a whole bunch of scenarios."Why don't you calm down and take stress pill, Dave?"
The counselor program becomes the crew's worst enemy....

As an update to this thread, I'm running the adventure now, and the next session sees the first time the Stress Index comes into play, so I'll keep you posted on how my fix to it turns out. The Travellers have taken on half a dozen rather underwhelmed passengers for a trip that will last two weeks - there may be complications ahead...

Back