Is it me or are the darklord stats WAY off?

My quote was taken out of context, columbob. I was commenting about the 500 copies of Lone Wolf sold at a recent Italian convention. That makes it one of the higest selling games at any international gathering that I know of. Especially for one weekend.

-August

Mongoose August said:
My quote was taken out of context, columbob. I was commenting about the 500 copies of Lone Wolf sold at a recent Italian convention. That makes it one of the higest selling games at any international gathering that I know of. Especially for one weekend.

-August

Ah, I see! :D

cjh said:
Remembering the fairly moronic Zagarna from the novels, I think he contrasts greatly compared to the verson presented in Darklands.
columbob said:
Please elaborate. I seem to remember that Zagarna was responsible for the destruction of the Kai monastery and the entire First Order of Kai Monks. That hardly sounds inept.
Smiling Fox said:
I guess that he refers to the brief encounter in paragraph 350 of that book. Zagarna knows of the power of the Sommerswerd, but since his so evil and longs for it, he really needs to see Holmgard being destroyed for himself, thus he places himself in harm's way.

He's actually referring to John Grant's version of Zagarna from the Legends of Lone Wolf series. Zagarna's rep took a beating in that series.

Reginald de Curry said:
He's actually referring to John Grant's version of Zagarna from the Legends of Lone Wolf series. Zagarna's rep took a beating in that series.

Ah well, I haven't read those books yet.

Well even in the Legends series I did not see Zagarna as being "stupid"...barbaric in the extreme,a reflection of the many aspects of rage that lay at the center of Naar,and often his actions "seem" stupid because of the boiling rage that lays at his core. He's even described as such in The Darklands sourcebook...but while he is an embodiment of rage he is also cunning to a degree (in the books he's quick to realize that Vonotar could be a resource and so does not destroy him even though he wants too...many times). So he's not stupid,but like all the darklords he is not his own being...he is in essence a puppet on the strings of the puppet-master Naar...he may think otherwise,but the truth of the matter is that the darklords are nothing but shells.

WinterHawk said:
Alright, so apart from these three legendary weapons, the stas would be balanced still IMHO

And then there's the Zejar-Dulaga arrows of the Nadziranim, which were potent enough to kill Taktaal with one shot (the RPG implies that this isn't EXACTLY possible, but it works in the books).

Saved Lone Wolf from a very annoying battle, if you ask me. Got to save up all that violence for Gnaag, after all.

ParanoidObsessive said:
WinterHawk said:
Alright, so apart from these three legendary weapons, the stas would be balanced still IMHO

And then there's the Zejar-Dulaga arrows of the Nadziranim, which were potent enough to kill Taktaal with one shot (the RPG implies that this isn't EXACTLY possible, but it works in the books).

Saved Lone Wolf from a very annoying battle, if you ask me. Got to save up all that violence for Gnaag, after all.

Bah, Gnaag is just a fried bug if you've been carrying the Sommerswerd around. I wouldn't have minded fighting Taktaal, as happens if you miss the arrow.

I fought Taktaal because I never got the arrows. He was a bit harder to fight than Kraagenskul if I can remember correctly.

columbob said:
Bah, Gnaag is just a fried bug if you've been carrying the Sommerswerd around. I wouldn't have minded fighting Taktaal, as happens if you miss the arrow.

I was never NOT carrying the Sommerswerd around. :p

On the other hand, I was always kind of annoyed that if you try to use the Sommerswerd against Taktaal, you got the same "Ooops, game over" ending you got by drawing the Sommerswerd anywhere in the city. I mean, by that point, you're RIGHT THERE, at the end, where you're supposed to be. Gnaag's maybe two, three rooms away (couldn't have been too far, to show up just as you finish off Taktaal)?

Of course, the Dagger of Vashna came in VERY handy in Helgedad.

Anonymous said:
columbob said:

I was never NOT carrying the Sommerswerd around. :p

On the other hand, I was always kind of annoyed that if you try to use the Sommerswerd against Taktaal, you got the same "Ooops, game over" ending you got by drawing the Sommerswerd anywhere in the city. I mean, by that point, you're RIGHT THERE, at the end, where you're supposed to be. Gnaag's maybe two, three rooms away (couldn't have been too far, to show up just as you finish off Taktaal)?

Of course, the Dagger of Vashna came in VERY handy in Helgedad.

The moment Gnaag senses the Sommerswerd, even if he's right behind you, he's going to scoot. If you're right in front of him, -then- you can sunbeam the twerp, but if he's a couple of rooms away, he'll run to the nearest safe place and wait for his reinforcements to capture you.

As to the comments on Helshezag, the Dagger of Vashna and the Zejar-Dulaga...obviously, they can kill Darklords. As is explicitly stated by the Overseer of Aarnak, the Darklords are not exactly a very unified bunch. As implied in the books' stats for Helshezag and the Dagger of Vashna, the weapons of the Darklords are most potent against -each other-.

Anonymous said:
The moment Gnaag senses the Sommerswerd, even if he's right behind you, he's going to scoot. If you're right in front of him, -then- you can sunbeam the twerp, but if he's a couple of rooms away, he'll run to the nearest safe place and wait for his reinforcements to capture you.

Yeah, but my point was more along the lines of, you're pretty much right in the place where you're going to blow up the transfusor and destroy Helgedad anyway, so who cares if Gnaag does run off, when the entire city is about to blow anyway?

Granted, from a STORY perspective, it's better to finally have your moment of vengeance against a foe who's been annoying you for 5 books or so, but that shouldn't make a logical outcome into an instant-death option.

And, even from a logical perspective, while you COULD argue that Gnaag could always hop on a Zlanbeast and escape the city entirely (which makes little sense, unless he somehow KNOWS you're going to blow the entire city away, which he shouldn't know), he should still die from the destruction of the Transfusor. I always took the destruction of it and Helgedad = no more Darklords to mean that it sort of created a feedback short-circuit that killed the very people it was empowering.

Because, if all it did was stop functioning as life-support, then at least SOME of the other Darklords should have been able to flee back to the Darklands in time to survive... and how do we KNOW that ALL the Darklords were in other lands anyway? A handful could have survived regardless.

We know the Darklords were in other lands because intel said so. Granted, there might have been misinformation, but I doubt it. With the Transfusor in place, the Darklords were pretty cocky.

it's obvious from the rest of the series, INCLUDING New Order, that they are all gone. If even ONE Darklord survived, the Darklands would not have collapsed in on itself as a fighting force. In fact, with all their infighting, it might have been better if there were fewer Darklords or just one. The creatures of Darkness seemed to have an instinctual drive to obey the Darklords.

And all the Darklords would have luxuriated in being near full-strength for as long as they wanted in lands outside of the Darklands. Evi loves to corrupt and destroy and their home is already corrupted.

Back