Is it just me or do US stockists suck?

MWojcik

Mongoose
Hello,

I am willing to bet most voices here live on the finer side of the pond. However, i had a little bit of a tussle to report.

most USA stockists are outright horrible at keeping any CTA line in stock (StarFleet or Noble Armada). I tap three different cities for local game resources, and the best one i last visited put the whole NA line in the mark-off discontinued bin! (cheap Cruiser was nice, but i need more please...)

This goes double for USA Online. TheWarStore is outright bare, and FRP has only one blister of anything, i'd swear. Mongoose itself seems to be the only Online store carrying Vuldrok Dreadnaughts in stock...

is there something i should know?
...not counting the little puddle of water we airmail things over?
(which happens to host the graves of the Bismarck and Titanic, but still...) :)

any input gladly appreciated.

I don't know what you mean about FRP not stocking Star Fleet. I just checked their site. They've got tons of stuff, with even most singles in stock. Heck, check the clearance section, there's even Star Fleet stuff there on occasion.

Same with Warstore, most of the Star Fleet line is in stock.

The Vuldrok Dreadnaught appears to be on Pre-Order status everywhere I checked, so there goes that complaint.

I asked the owner at one of my own FLGS and he laughed and pointed at a rack of unsold ADB Star Fleet miniatures that had apparently been sitting there for years. He said something to the effect of "Why would I get more of that when I can barely keep Star Trek WizKids and X-Wing Miniatures in stock?" He said he could order stuff for me, but I could do that on my own.

the clix game sucks, the only reason it does so well is the ships are more recognizable. Ill never buy a whiz kids game again. The large tub of mechwarrior was enough to turn my stomach. I hate having limited edition minitures that suddenly become illegal in tournement play, this was the same factor that made me quit magic as well. All they want is the money and will keep changing the rules to keep ya buying.

archon96 said:
the clix game sucks, the only reason it does so well is the ships are more recognizable.

What else should a game store care about? They're Star Trek minis and they sell well.

Actually, I think Fleet Captains is a great game, but it's obviously nothing like SFB or ACTA. It certainly sold well enough to warrant an expansion within a year, as did the HeroClix Tactics game, and now they're releasing a third game, Attack Wing. You might not like it, but they're obviously doing something right in the eyes of the market.

Thing about the wizkids games are, will they still be here 5 or 10 years down the road. I am a long-time Battletech fan, bought into Mechwarrior when I thought it was the only way to keep that setting alive. The game was pretty droll, one-dimensional, and not a huge amount of fun. Where is it now?

I also tried out the ST click game (I have a friend that these sort of pre-painted, simple games are clearly aimed at), and was not impressed. Sure they sell well, and I say more power to them and good luck. But when I get into a minis game, I look at it as an investment, both time and money. Well cared for, my minis should outlast me. I plan on gaming into my retirement (still a lo-ong ways off), and while I hope SFB/FC/ACTA is still around by then, I'm fairly confident the clix games will not be...

Damon.

PS: I buy a lot of my SL2500 and NA minis off of Ebay. Plenty of shops sell their stuff direct.

My intention was not to derail the topic into whether or not Heroclix games suck. The question was why is ACTA SF so hard for the OP to find in stores. I simply gave an example reason from one store I happen to shop at. Star Trek sells, Star Fleet doesn't. Or plastic pre-paints sell, unassembled and unpainted metal doesn't. Maybe it's just a distribution or availability problem elsewhere. Your results at your FLGS may vary.

After the last price creep (jump) on fleet boxes, the local stores here won't buy and aren't selling. I want to support my local gaming store, but not by paying over 1/3 more that what I can pay online. In this area you will not find any Judge Dredd, Noble Armada, and VaS2 is just a joke. Most people don't want 1/1800 scale mini's (except collectable card gamers). In this area, I'm the only guy with a sizable 1/1800 collection and even I prefer 1/2400 (which can be purchased very reasonably from Panzerschiffe).

ADB has never messed up my order, and I always have my shipment 2 business days after I place the order. I had never order directly from ADB until ACTA-SF, always bought their products in stores. I have still never received a correct or quick shipment from Mongoose. Now, let me say I expect I would if I lived in the UK, but since my stuff comes from Ohio, enough said.

Since ACTA-SF is the only Mongoose game I play, I have decided to purchase all future product from ADB or another vendor.

When I bought my Romulan, Gorn & Kzinti Fleet Boxes the price had already jumped so I ordered off line and still have not paid more than $99.00 a fleet box.

mechascorpio said:
I asked the owner at one of my own FLGS and he laughed and pointed at a rack of unsold ADB Star Fleet miniatures that had apparently been sitting there for years. He said something to the effect of "Why would I get more of that when I can barely keep Star Trek WizKids and X-Wing Miniatures in stock?" He said he could order stuff for me, but I could do that on my own.
Similar results around here. Three FLGS within a 30 minute drive of my house...

We have one of the largest SFB/ADB groups around (20+ people, over a dozen of whom would / will buy everything released) and we can't even get them to stock the stuff.
We've offered to play the games in their stores, with well-painted miniatures to attract attention - but are repeatedly turned down as that would take table space away from the every single frakkin' weekend 'Clix / WH40K / MtG events they all three have.

I guess I can't blame them - I can regularly get a dozen of more people to the Casa de'Tomas gameroom for ACTASF / Fed Comm / or SFB, but they get 50+ at every MtG booster draft tournament. The carry what sells... and face it, we're a niche market in an already niche market.

Light clarification from the OP:

i was mentioning the NA stuff when i mentioned stock availability.

SF is actually readily available, though i have a problem where i want blisters and the LGS is carrying the boxes.

Honestly, right now 80% of my Klingon fleet is old StarLine2500 ships, purchased individually in blisters...most were for SFB before CTA:SF came out. I'd buy the CTA boxes if i wanted to start the game. but buffing your fleet is ALWAYS a matter of blisters, since you want to get exactly what you need/want.

it is the mandate of human psychology! :lol:

BTW: Clix suck because of random packaged boxes...if i could see what i get, i'd by it...

Gentleman, we are having a bit of a drive at the moment, reaching out to retailers and convincing them that Star Fleet (and Dredd!) is worth a look. However, we need to know who and where these retailers are.

If anyone can provide us with any details of their local store (just a web site, or name and town will be enough, though a phone number and the owner's name is even better :)), we'll drop them a line and see what we can do!

msprange said:
Gentleman, we are having a bit of a drive at the moment, reaching out to retailers and convincing them that Star Fleet (and Dredd!) is worth a look. However, we need to know who and where these retailers are.

If anyone can provide us with any details of their local store (just a web site, or name and town will be enough, though a phone number and the owner's name is even better :)), we'll drop them a line and see what we can do!

I've sent several to Al (Mongoose MI)for his database. Will that work, or should I report them here? :)

You got it:
Dropzone Games (http://www.dropzone-games.com/)
6711 Baymeadow Dr
Glen Burnie, MD 21060
410-553-0636
Manager is "Tom".

They are a mainly miniatures oriented shop, with over 5000 sq ft of gaming tables/demo space. They have GW stuff, Dust, Flames of War, some sort of Steampunk minis game, and more. They say they are open to all kinds of games, and there is a little Clix/card game stuff, but they are the nicest miniatures store I've seen in a LONG time. 1600+ Likes on their Facebook page. :)

Comicstorewest (http://comicstorewest.com/)
2111 Industrial Highway
York PA 17402
(717) 845-9198
Owner: Brian Waltersdorf "bwaltersdorff@yahoo.com"
A comic store that has a middling amount of gaming going on. Mainly Clix/Warhammer/Pokemon/an occasional board game and some occasional Battletech. I've tried to get ACTA:SF going there, but failed, but perhaps Judge Dredd might do better?

Neverland Games (http://www.neverlandgamestore.com)
69 West Main St, 2nd Floor
Waynesboro PA 17268
(717) 655-5347
Never been there, but they were receptive to my perhaps running an ACTA:SF demo there sometime.

msprange said:

Is this US specific as per the thread title or is this a general drive?

I was talking about the US, but we will happily talk to anyone, anywhere (we have been concentrating in the UK and Scandanavia thus far).

Treefort Games
702 Glynn Street North
Suite D-2
Fayetteville, GA

770-719-3400

http://www.treefortgames.com

We have between 8-12+ active ACTASF gamers usually playing about once a month but in total have seen just a couple of squadron boxes and a few copies of the rule book with nothing currently in stock.

I know of 1 store that as of a few months ago carried NA, RIW Hobbies in Livonia, MI. They usually have most games.

The bad part is, they are 2 hours from me. We have a great store locally but I haven't been able to get anyone interested in ACtA yet, but there are a couple guys that played B5 back in the day. The local store is The Board Room in Saginaw, MI. Aaron is the man in charge.
Phone (989) 295-0522
Website http://www.theboardroomgamecenter.com
they open at 3:30 pm est on weekdays

There is also Gamer's Sanctuary in Flint, MI. Chad is the owner.
Phone (810) 720-8280
Email info@thegamerssanctuary.com
Website http://www.thegamerssanctuary.com

And Rider's Hobby Shop in Flint, MI. Not sure who is in charge there.
(810) 720-2500
2061 S Linden Rd, Flint, MI

I'd love to try and get some Mongoose gaming going closer to home. Thanks Matt!!

Chris

scoutdad said:
Similar results around here. Three FLGS within a 30 minute drive of my house...

We have one of the largest SFB/ADB groups around (20+ people, over a dozen of whom would / will buy everything released) and we can't even get them to stock the stuff.
We've offered to play the games in their stores, with well-painted miniatures to attract attention - but are repeatedly turned down as that would take table space away from the every single frakkin' weekend 'Clix / WH40K / MtG events they all three have.

I guess I can't blame them - I can regularly get a dozen of more people to the Casa de'Tomas gameroom for ACTASF / Fed Comm / or SFB, but they get 50+ at every MtG booster draft tournament. The carry what sells... Here's a few facts to consider...

A 20+ person club and the store won't carry the product. Is this club ordering all their stuff through the store (what store won't special order with a commitment to pay up upon arrival)? Or is everything purchased online with the rationalization "well it's better pricing/my store doesn't carry so why special order, etc." When SST minis were on the rise I couldn't get a store to carry... but then from me showing the game off w/my minis people started special ordering (in part to use in 40k as 'nids). Once enough people were buying they started to get in stock for the shelves.

Lots of stores have been burned over and over and over by people or groups coming up and saying "Get Game-X in, we'll buy" then never buy (sometimes never being seen again).

Yeah internet is great but if you want product in local stores... get yer asses down to the local stores and special order it! It's "Chicken vs Egg" thing, except what has to come first are the sales. Special ordering should cost you nothing extra as the "special" means "we don't stock it but it's in the distributor's catalog so ok".

And trust me, supposedly having a 20+ person "club" saying "oh we WOULD play if you stock the game" is a death sentence... get in start playing and start ordering and start showing other regulars from that store how fun the game is and... They have trouble selling 40K, WFB, Dystopian Wars, DUST, and what not... because they know their loyal customers who *ARE* playing in their store, buying in their store will also buy these games (and locally? I've seen them be right infinitely more times than they are wrong with this approach)

Back