Is Hyboria and Hyperboria the same thing?

Nope. Hyperborea was Clark Ashton Smiths fantasy world. But there is a nation called Hyperborea in Conans world.

Yes... Hyboria isn´t a nation, but a group of nations wich were conquered by the hibori, a barbaric tribe that came from the north.
These tribes came from somewere around the actual hyperboria and conquered the southern lands, their descendents developed these lands, creating several kingdoms like aquilonia, nemedia and others.
Look at the "Conan rpg" Core book, it has all this written in hyborian race...
Good luck and also buy the "Road Of Kings", very helpfull and interesting info there...

EDIT: Ohhh yes... Hyperboria was a mythic land in the north were things didn´t age, in the greeck mythology, but in conan is the land were some hibori stayed, and kind of degenareted into hiperborians...

I hope i didn´t say anything wrong...

Chairman7w said:
Hey guys - a noob here.

Is Hyboria and Hyperboria the same thing?

Thanks in advance!

No, as the others have said. Hyperborea is a nation of the north that was settled by Hyborians. There is no nation called Hyboria. It is a racial/ethnic term (sort of like how there are Jews, but no land named Jew. There are Anglo-Saxons, but no land of Anglo-Sax. There are Vikings, but no land of Viking. (Please, history buffs, do not lay out a bunch of derivations of these - I am just using these as extremely simplified examples that a racial/ethnic/cultural name does not have to come from the name of a specific kingdom.) Thus there are Hyborians, but no Hyboria - although some pastiche authors, such as Steven York, insist on referencing Hyboria as though it were a land).

The Hyborians are the dominant race of the age of Conan. Hyborians include Aquilonians, Brythunians, Nemedians, Corinthians, Ophireans, Argosseans, Hyperboreans, Kothians, Gundermen, and Bossonians. Zingarans also have a lot of Hyborian bloodlines.

Zamorians, Stygians, Shemites, Kushites (and other Black Kingdom natives), Hyrkanians, Turanians, Picts, Cimmerians, Vendhyans and Khitans are NOT Hyborians, although they live during the Hyborian age.

The Hyborians were followers of Bori, a war leader/god of the north.

VincentDarlage said:
There are Anglo-Saxons, but no land of Anglo-Sax.

There may not be a land called Anglo-Sax, but there is a region in England called East Anglia which is derived from the Angles (which were one of the two tribes that made up the Anglo-Saxons - The Angles and the Saxons).

Of course, there is also a region in France called Saxony.

rigante said:
:shock: :lol:
This region you're talking of is located ca. 1000 km East of that country and is in Germany.
Actually there are 2 German States called Saxony (both are from the Eastern part of Germany):
- Saxony with the capital Leipzig
and
- Saxony-Anhalt with the capital Magdeburg

The Angles lived in the Jutland.

In fact there was a third German tribe in the area (Frisians) but they didn't make it to the British Isles.

This is an excellent period for King Arthur fans. :wink:

But Germans there could give you more info on this.

VincentDarlage said:
There are Anglo-Saxons, but no land of Anglo-Sax. There are Vikings, but no land of Viking. Thus there are Hyborians, but no Hyboria - although some pastiche authors, such as Steven York, insist on referencing Hyboria as though it were a land).

In fact the term Anglo-Saxon is a modern one. following the Roman withdrawl from britain in the fourth century Britain was invaded by the Saxons, the Angles and Jutes. A large part of the east coast fell under Angle control and became Angleland from where the modern 'England' derives.

Likewise the Vikings were, in thier own time, called norsemen where they settled in france became normandy (land of the north men) and the people then 'became' the normans. Since Southern and central europe was well known the term 'Norse' simply means 'North' and for mutch of the late medievel period 'Man of the north' was a euphamism for 'criminal' or 'Bandit'.

Extending this to Conan's world we can postulate that the names of the Hyborian Kingdoms are corrupted echos of past Hyborian tribes. Is Brythunia the home of the Brythuns, Corinthia where the Corinths settled ?
These names might lie in some old dusty stygian scrolls somewhere........

Evil_Trevor said:
In fact the term Anglo-Saxon is a modern one...

Likewise the Vikings were, in thier own time...

Yes, I know all that. I wasn't trying to be super-correct, just lay out a simple, easy to understand example that just because we have Hyborians does not mean there has to be a Hyboria. Can we lay off the history lessons?

rigante said:
There may not be a land called Anglo-Sax, but there is a region in England called East Anglia which is derived from the Angles (which were one of the two tribes that made up the Anglo-Saxons - The Angles and the Saxons).

*Sigh* I knew I shouldn't have used a simple example without a thousand lines of explanation. Yes, I know all that.

And the Hyborians are also a tribe.

Perhaps I should have said that there are Apaches but no kingdom of Apache. It is just a tribal name. Would that have satisfied better?

its okay I was listerning and your answer did make perfect sense to me 8) just some people think its funny to strangle a obsure line of thought till it goes blue :roll:

VincentDarlage said:
Perhaps I should have said that there are Apaches but no kingdom of Apache. It is just a tribal name. Would that have satisfied better?

Probably not VD, some people just love to read (and type) their own lectures, that's all.

I doubt anyone really disagreed or missunderstood what you were saying.

They just can't help themselves.

Hi again btw, how have you been doing? Spewing out suplements by the truckloads. Good job! 8) Do you have time for anything else?

/wolf

GhostWolf69 said:
Hi again btw, how have you been doing? Spewing out suplements by the truckloads. Good job! 8) Do you have time for anything else?

/wolf

Hi again! I was rereading some old posts a few weeks back and wondered what happened to you. Actually, I have made time for more (my full-time job teaching and my freelance writing obviously didn't fill enough of my day) - I have recently started my Master's degree program in business.

How are you?

René said:
Any theories on Nemedia?

If you look in the "The Road of Kings" on pg 91 under Nemedian History it says "The Hyborians divided up the land and the Nemedi settled the eastern end of Acheron's holdings."

Other Hyborean entries will say similiar with the name of the tribe settling the land being the root word of the named kingdom.

No reason we can't make this thread a history lesson if its a Hyborian one (Hyborea being the dominant kingdom of the age). :wink:

Zul Daire said:
René said:
Any theories on Nemedia?

If you look in the "The Road of Kings" on pg 91 under Nemedian History it says "The Hyborians divided up the land and the Nemedi settled the eastern end of Acheron's holdings."

Other Hyborean entries will say similiar with the name of the tribe settling the land being the root word of the named kingdom.

No reason we can't make this thread a history lesson if its a Hyborian one (Hyborea being the dominant kingdom of the age). :wink:

You're right, but I was obviously a little unprecise with my abbreviated question. Seeing "Brythunia is related to the Britons." in a former post I wondered where the term Nemedia may originate from.

René said:
You're right, but I was obviously a little unprecise with my abbreviated question. Seeing "Brythunia is related to the Britons." in a former post I wondered where the term Nemedia may originate from.

In Irish mythology, the Nemedians are the descendants of Nemed, a Scythian chief who was one of the first invaders of Ireland.

Back