Idea for Thulsa...Idea for Vincent...Idea for Others too?

I don't own it, but I've heard that Thulsa's Spider's Bride anthology is fantastic. And, the downloadable conversion notes for the Conan RPG is cream in the coffee.

I have seen, though, the OGL Barbarian supplements: http://www.misfit-studios.com/products/oglbarbarian.html These three books are pretty much specifically made for the Conan RPG--as close as they can get it without stepping on Mongoose's toes.

So...why not continue producing stuff for the Conan RPG in a like manner to Thulsa's Spider's Bride module and Misfit Studios' OGL Barabarian Line?

Certain things couldn't be published, I know. For example, the supplement about Turan that we all want probably cannot be the subject of a Thulsa or a Vincent (or even a Thulsa/Vincent joint producion), but the Hyborian Age is quite large. There's room for all sorts of Conan-esque supplemetns and, especially, adventures! They don't need the "Conan" name on them.

Maybe set them in Thulsa's Mesopotamia univers--or create new universes.

For example, there is a need for adventures for levels 10-20, right? So, make a few of those. You might not be able to write a "Turan" supplement, but you could make a supplement for a generic city that would easily fit in Turan.

You could come up with an expanded mass combat system.

You could come up with more equipment, both generic, and stuff specific to parts of the hyborian world (with downloadable conversion notes, of course).

You could make a supplement on the desert raiders that Conan players could buy and use for Zuaigar or Kozaks.

You could come up with some pseudo-Roman or Ancient Greek (fill in the blank), and tie it easily to many of the Hyborian kingdoms.

A supplement could focus on gladitorial combat and exhibitions in different parts of the world.

A supplement could focus on the slave trade.

A supplement could focus on noble intrigues.

Optional rules could be published, plus the obvious (Feats & Skills & Classes & Multi-Classing Kits).

This is a shotgun approach...you could even take a more focussed approach: Under the guise of some Mesopotamian (or other) ancient city state, you could detail the hell out of a massive city state that players could place in Shem. Use this a "base" for your gaming line, and let your adventures and supplements "grow" out of that.

Kind of like the Thieves World setting of Sanctuary, you start with one city (but detail this city like a city has never been detailed--maybe release it in parts--but make gamers' mouths water when they see it--I massive place, regardless of level, to base a campaign).

Then, all of your supplements grow out of this city-state. Politics. gods. Mercenaries. The City Guard and Watch. Thieves at night. Ruins a day or so horse ride from the city. Saber Rattling with another City State.

Etc.

Just ideas. I'm sure you can come up with more.

You know, a supplement, adventure, or adventure anthology might not be a bad idea (similiar to Spider God's Bride), set in a fantasy viking-esque universe.

One that wasn't that far removed for the far north of the Hyborian Age....

Supplement Four said:
So...why not continue producing stuff for the Conan RPG in a like manner to Thulsa's Spider's Bride module and Misfit Studios' OGL Barabarian Line?

Well, I can promise you that you will see more adventures and sourcebooks from Xoth Publishing in the not-too-distant future. (I am sorry to say that I am far from the prolific writer that Vincent Darlage is, since English is not my native language, but I will continue to publish Conan-compatible sword and sorcery material as soon as it is ready.)

Keep an eye on my blog, the World of Xoth, where news of any upcoming releases will be announced, as well as various other gaming materials.

By the way, I am also looking to commission artwork, both from professionals and amateurs, so if there are any budding freelance artists out there who would like to contribute some custom artwork, then contact me via a private message. At this stage, I can't promise you much gold, but you will get fame and glory... !

Supplement Four said:
I don't own it, but I've heard that Thulsa's Spider's Bride anthology is fantastic. And, the downloadable conversion notes for the Conan RPG is cream in the coffee.

So why don't you run out and buy it, then? :)

Don't take it from me, read an unbiased review here:

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2010/04/review-spider-gods-bride.html

- thulsa

thulsa said:
So why don't you run out and buy it, then? :)

Alright then, I will. :shock:

I prefer hard copies over pdf's. Where can I get one? I've looked, and seen that it was published dead tree by Necromancer Games, but everywhere I've searched, it's been out of stock.

Got a link where I can buy a hard copy?

Supplement Four said:
I've looked, and seen that it was published dead tree by Necromancer Games, but everywhere I've searched, it's been out of stock.

Necromancer Games published my first book, Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia. That was in 2004. It seems you can still get a (used) copy via Amazon.

My second book, The Spider-God's Bride was self-published via my own imprint, Xoth Publishing, at the start of 2009.

Supplement Four said:
Got a link where I can buy a hard copy?

If you don't want The Spider-God's Bride in PDF, you can buy a printed copy from Lulu, check out the details here:

http://xoth.net/publishing/xp1/index.htm#print

- thulsa

thulsa said:
My second book, The Spider-God's Bride was self-published via my own imprint, Xoth Publishing, at the start of 2009.

I took the plung and bought the hard copy from Lulu. $23 bucks and free shipping! Not a bad deal at all. :D

And for you guys looking for some more good Conan deals, I found this place: http://www.thoughthammer.com/advanc...s_id=&osCsid=ac51d76d778590a7d84a5a6e005e24f0

It's a store called Thought Hammer. Good prices on Conan RPG materials, and lightning quick shipping! I purchased on the 4th. I've got my order now, in my hands, on the 6th, two days later. I spent $110 bucks with them, and shipping was only $9.

They shipped in a big box with "peanuts", and the books themselves were wrapped in bubble wrap. My order arrived in mint condition.

Highly recommended store.

I bought the OGL Barbarian books from here: http://www.misfit-studios.com/products/oglbarbarian.html

These are actually quite well written books. They are specifically written for Mongoose's Conan RPG (the text all but tells you that saying, "The OGL Barbarian product line uses the OGL to provide unofficial support for a licensed, OGL-content, sword-and-sorcery role-playing game were' not legally allowed to name (although the "barbarian" part should be a big hint.)"

I really think some books in this vein would go over well--a book to focus on a particular culture in the Conan RPG and Howards Hyborian Age.

A book directed at the Hyborians would focus on fantasy Roman or Greek themed culture. I wouldn't call it "Roman" or "Greek" the way Thulsa does with his Mesopotamia book. And, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on a different gaming universe, like Thulsa does with his works set in Xoth.

What I'd do is follow the precident that Misfit Games has set--use the OGL and prepare your book specifically for the Conan RPG without using any copyrighting text. The three books that Misfit put out could easily be Conan RPG supplements by Mongoose. All you really have to do is change the covers, and no one could tell the difference.

So, why not "invent" a culture that is obviously the Hyborians and just not call them the Hyborians? "The Hybier" peopls could be based on Roman and Greek culture, and, boom. the Hybier sourcebook is picked up by fans of the Conan game (and those think the Hybiers are intresting for their regular D&D game).

Do a book on fantasy desert nomads.

Do one that focuses on slavery, and other aspects of it, such as Pit Fighting (Pit Fighting is covered in the Misfit books).

Do one about fantasy vikings (Aesir and Vanir).

Do one about fantasy Egyptians to compliment the Stygia book.

Etc.

thulsa said:
My second book, The Spider-God's Bride was self-published via my own imprint, Xoth Publishing, at the start of 2009

Ahh....got the hard copy book in today from Lulu, and from first inspection, I'm very, very happy. For $23 bucks, this is a dense book with loads of information and very cool, very "Conan" adventures in it.

I'm very glad I bought it.

My only complaint would be that the book is a bit long--longer than the Mongoose hardbacks--and it doesn't fit in my Conan RPG box. :?

From the first flip-through, though, it looks to me as if Thulsa has done some excellent work--up there in quality with the best of the Mongoose Conan stuff.

No buyer's remorse here. :wink: 8)

Back