Idea for a free-form combat system

hdan

Mongoose
Hey all,
CaptainJack over on CoTI posted a modified turn sequence for combat for his Fantasy Traveller variant. It got me thinking.

I find the MgT combat round a trifle too detailed sometimes, and his idea in turn gave ME an idea.

So, without further ado, here is a modified version of my idea for a more roleplay-centric, range band based personal combat system based on MgT rules:

-----------------------------------------------
Start:
* Each "Turn" both sides roll a Tactics test (Skill+Int+2D), highest effect is the aggressor, and gets to move first.
** When fighting animals, use Hunter skill and animal Instinct instead of Tactics.
* Which ever side rolls the highest goes first, even if they both fail the test.
* Sides that pass their tactics test will be allowed to take TWO of the actions below.
* Sides that fail their tactics test can do only ONE of the following actions
* You can't do the same thing twice. (That is, no double attacks or double moves)

List 1: Actions that can be taken regardless of the result of the Tactics test:

* Parley - roll for or roleplay the interactions to maybe resolve things peacefully
* Flee - increase range by one band, escaping if at long range
* Plan - get a +2 to your next Tactics test. Cumulative.
* Find Cover - you now count as In Cover
* Overwatch
* Change out weapons, activate computers, unlock doors, etc.
** This can be any task that takes 1-6 seconds.
* Do Nothing - just burn the action.
** You're usually better off Planning

List 2: Actions that require a passed tactics test:

* Close range - Decrease range by one band
* Attack the enemy. (Overwatch can allow an attack too, but only if the enemy provokes it)

Alternately, use the weapons ranges, such as "I close in to pistol range" or "I open out to rifle range".

Notes on Overwatch, which is a big part of this system:
* Overwatch allows you to roll an attack (-2?) on any enemy who takes a movement action in your LoS
** Movement actions are flee/close/find cover.
** A successful Stealth check prevents this attack.
* Overwatch allows you to Trump/cancel one enemy "Overwatch"
** This is a "trump" move, and does not actually leave either character in overwatch
** ???Should there be a contested roll of some sort???
* Overwatch ends at the character's next chance to act or when "trumped".
* Overwatch also ends if the covering character takes damage.
* Overwatch only costs ammo IF you wind up shooting. Trumping counts as shooting.
[I had Overwatch in List 2, but it's too critical to deny it when failing tactics. Falling back without being killed will be hard enough.]
[The particulars of Overwatch probably need a little attention before they're perfect.]

Each character gets to take the actions individually in Dex order. A character can always delay until later in his side's turn if desired.

Repeat this cycle (tactics tests, winner takes actions, loser takes actions) until one side or the other is dead, surrendered, or gotten away.

Notes:
* Combat works using the standard MgT rules, this system is just for establishing ranges and who gets to shoot when.

* If the party splits up into two groups, roll tactics for each group and activate them in order of their Tactics roll.

* If you pass a tactics test and spend both actions Planning, you'll roll your next tactics at +4. Whether that's worth giving up your other actions or not is up to you.

* I imagine that most combats will involve guys overwatching, trying to get local superiority and moving into position to attack.

* If you want to be more visual, you can establish a 2D system, with "find cover" being replaced by "horizontal movement", and then determine where the cover is at each range. But if you want that kind of detail, you should probably use miniatures and the standard rules. This is for abstract "narrative" style combat.

An example:

Two forces meet at Long range:
Both sides have a Tactics-2 leader and two gunmen.

Both roll Tactics, A=9, B=7
So A goes first, with two actions per character. When B goes, they will only get one action per character, and can't take "list 2" actions.

Team A:
The two gunmen duck behind cover and set up their fields of fire (find cover, overwatch)
Leader A ducks behind cover as well, and says "We have no beef with you, put down your guns and you can go!"

Team B:
All three members of team B disappear behind cover. Looks like it's going to be a fight after all.

Next Turn: A=5, B=9 (I guess A was expecting a verbal response?)

Team B goes first, with Gunman B1 attacking...
Oops, Gunman A1 interrupts with his own attack (he was covering, remember?) and scores a 14pt hit - B1 goes down
(Now Gunman A1 is no longer Covering, but A2 still is)

Gunman B2 sprays some overwatch fire to cancel A1's cover, then attacks Leader A! Fortunately for Leader A, the attack misses
Leader B also attacks Leader A and hits, but for only a measly 4pts.
Leader B then begins to plan for next round

At this point, B has nobody on overwatch, and one man down, but +2 on his next Leadership roll

Team A goes, but didn't pass their Leadership so can only take one action each:
The gunners re-establish overwatch
Leader A shouts out, "We're not kidding! Drop your guns, take your wounded and leave, and we won't come after you"

Next Turn A=7, B=11
Leader B decides that they're not in such a great position after all, and parleys back, "Ok, Ok! We surrender!"

Team B throws down their weapons and comes out of cover, carrying their wounded comrade between them.

Leader A: Huh, I wonder what that was all about? Maybe next time, I shouldn't just let them walk away with out questioning them.... :)

Another, much shorter example that is typical of many movie encounters:

Team A activates first:
All "minions" come suddenly in to the room and go on overwatch.
The leader Parleys, "Drop your guns, you're surrounded".

Team B (greatly outnumbered) activates and drops their weapons and prepares to be captured.

Had Team B gone first, they would have dived for cover and shot at the leader, but this time Team A got the jump on them.

What do you think?

Thanks, sir, and by the oddest coincidence, I've just posted it in the adventurer thread here !
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=660443#660443
Cap

LOL, I should have expect that your own cross-post was not far behind. I really love what you're doing BTW.

Back