Icarus, The Other Human Homeworld (3I)

Smax

Mongoose
A recent Scout expedition at the edges of charted space discovered a blasted but still teeming garden world, with evidence of a human civilization wiped out by a nuclear war thousands of years ago. Not an uncommon sight for the Scouts - for every Ancient seeding project that leads to a stellar empire or minor race, there are a dozen which die out long before they reach the stars, or in many cases even invent the wheel. This civilization appeared notable only in how far they had risen before their ultimate fall. The planet was given a cursory examination, named Icarus by a poetic (or smart aleck) Scout and handed over to the Navy to begin colonization - but then IISS scientists, following up on some oddities of the world, raised a hue and cry. They had discovered transitional fossils and precursor species on the planet. This world appeared to be where humans had originally evolved.

Except that everyone knows that Sol was where humanity had originally evolved. The very existence of Icarus appeared to blow the Solomani Hypothesis out of the water, raised major questions about the Ancients' nature and seeding techniques, and even led to positing the existence of a race of proto-Ancients who had somehow found (or created?) two worlds so alike that they would result in the evolution of exceedingly similar forms of sentient life. Solomani adherents (especially supremacists) argued that it was some sort of trick: If not on behalf of the Scouts*, then on behalf of the Ancients, who had seeded the world with false fossils and evolutionary proofs for reasons unknown. Opponents pointed out that the same argument could be used to claim that Sol was the impostor and Icarus the true homeworld. In short order, Icarus became a feuding ground for rival scientific institutes seeking evidence to support or disprove the Solomani Hypothesis, the Icarus Hypothesis, the existence of the proto-Ancients, or stranger theories still.

Previously the acceptance of Sol as a homeworld was met with general indifference, but now the argument has brought it to the attention of the interstellar community, each new development stoking the flames higher. While officially the Imperium still supports Sol as the original homeworld, the debate rages not merely in academic circles, but in spacer bars, on talk shows and in religious confabulations. Observers feel it is only a matter of time before it turns violent, and requests have been made to have Icarus red-zoned for reasons of political stability. Local authorities are dragging their heels, and for good reason: Interdicting Icarus may staunch the tensions, but it could just as easily be the flashpoint that turns a scientific debate into an outright war.

* or the Zhodani, who a certain segment of the population blame for everything suspicious anyway.

I doubt it'd start any wars or anything like that. It'd certainly cause controversy in the Solomani Rim though.

I do like the idea of Earth not being the original human homeworld though.

Hm, good point about the war. My eagerness to have this be a big honking deal led to me kind of overestimating the force of reaction. Then again, if Solomani fanatics set off a nuclear bomb or similar WMD on Icarus, murdering the peaceful scientific representatives of who knows how many planetary governments and scientific agencies...

Which sounds like exactly the kind of scenario PCs should be trying to stop, actually.

Humans are genetically-related to almost all life on Earth, though. We can trace divergence points for many different species. In short, all life on Earth is interrelated, so if humans on Earth are a plant, then so is everything else.

Colin said:
Humans are genetically-related to almost all life on Earth, though. We can trace divergence points for many different species. In short, all life on Earth is interrelated, so if humans on Earth are a plant, then so is everything else.

...Which, as I recall, was how David Weber got around that issue in the Mutineer's Moon saga.

So now there are TWO worlds that have this same interconnectedness, AND maybe a fosil of a missing link that Earth doesn't have.

An interesting idea.

You wouldn't need a WMD on Icarus to start a war; a fanatic on either side could decide to take out the headquarters of a rival (religious or political rival) and use a WMD within the 3I (or the Confed or wherever).

If a Solomani citizen illegally crossed the border and used a suitcase nuke to take out the University that was one of the strongest supporters of the Icarus Hypothesis and in the process took out the subsector Duke or some other high mucky-muck, that could be enough to push the 3I and the Soli's closer to another war... then add it all the rest of the tension, old grudges and maybe it becomes the tipping point towards a second Solomani Rim War.

If you want it to go that way IYOTU, then go for it. Could be fun.

Back