I just got RQ Monsters

Archer said:
it would be nice to not have to redo every monster there is within fantasy with radically different looks and statistics

<shamless plug>

I bring you five classic fantasy monsters (http://www.seraphim-guard.com/sgd500.shtml), one of our "plain wrap" supplements for RuneQuest.

Between the covers of five classic fantasy monsters you'll find game statistics and organizational, environmental, psychological, linguistic, and physiological information for the hallmarks of fantasy role-playing monsters: the kobold, the orc, the ogre, the goblin, and the hobgoblin. We've also included dire weasels and worgs, suitable mounts for kobold and goblin cavalry.

</shameless plug>

So there's always that. :)

Neo said:
Elandyll said:
The thing is, anime is an -extremely- large genra.

It can range from this
http://www.andrealattore.com/images/Lodoss.jpg

to this
http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Movies/Yu-Gi-Oh/Yu-Gi-Oh-0002/Yu-Gi-Oh-0002.jpg

Both of which have features that are intrincisally anime.. mostly about the faces (large eyes, small mouths, small noses, often effeminite faces), body proportions (i.e slender and lithe, large upper bodies,tapering down to slender lower bodies), which is not the style of the RQ Monsters art in anyway... but anywhoooo.

I just thank the lord RQ elves didn't have anime elf ears... that would've make me cry :D :p

By RQ style, you mean AH Gloranthan Beastiary style ?

I know, low blow, but you had it coming :)

P.S: Interesting take you got on "anime style", given your Sephiroth Avatar ...

Elandyll said:
By RQ style, you mean AH Gloranthan Beastiary style ?

I know, low blow, but you had it coming :)

Must be missing the point of your reply somewhere as it didnt make a lot of sense to me.. but no I mean Mongooses RuneQuest Monsters book style.

P.S: Interesting take you got on "anime style", given your Sephiroth Avatar ...

How so, the description I gave are features that are definitively associated with Anime and my Avatar reflects them. large eyes, small mouth and nose, tapering proportions?

sorry but if you were making a point somehwere it got lost and didnt really register.

Anyway.. back on topic.

Must be missing the point of your reply somewhere as it didnt make a lot of sense to me.. but no I mean Mongooses RuneQuest Monsters book style.

You said originally
[quote ]which is not the style of the RQ Monsters art [/quote]
What's so hard to understand ?
It is well known that the Gloranthan Bestiary has some god-awful illustrations (and I own it, it's not hearsay). It was simply gently making fun of your "RQ monster art" phrase.

How so, the description I gave are features that are definitively associated with Anime and my Avatar reflects them. large eyes, small mouth and nose, tapering proportions?

sorry but if you were making a point somehwere it got lost and didnt really register.

Anyway.. back on topic.
My point is you are making a gross generalization that is untrue in many cases (Tsukasa Hojo per example does a pretty good job among many others on proportions.
My other point about your avatar (I didn't think you'd have that much problem seeing it) is that you appear very critical of the "anime style" while using it for your avatar. Of course the idea that comes to mind is "Hypocrit".

Now, we can indeed go back on topic ...

Can't wait for the Monster manual. Illustrations look great. I def. would not say anime style, more like a bit cartoon-ish, but that's not a bad thing in and of itself, if well done (and it seems like it is).

One thing worries me, the OP said that Aldryamis(Elves) get less than a page and Mostalis(dwarves) about 1 page, while Dragonnewts (a race few players should ever play, and rarely see normally, to keep some sense of wonder imho) and elementals (!) get 6 pages ?
My wife really wants to play elves hehe (she comes from AD&D)... I guess I'll have to unhearth my good ol' Elder Secrets (was hoping for lots of RQ Elves art, she doesn't seem to dig the wohle "Elves are vegetal" thing. Just want to prove her it doesn't mean they can only look like trees and shrubs)

Elandyll said:
It is well known that the Gloranthan Bestiary has some god-awful illustrations (and I own it, it's not hearsay). It was simply gently making fun of your "RQ monster art" phrase.

Ahh that explains it, I'm afraid when I played RQ (GW and AH versions) we didnt play in Glorantha it didnt appeal.. so never had any Glorantha related monster books nor am I familiar with the "well known" fact that it had bad art. Wasnt having a dig, i generally didnt get the reference.. :)

My point is you are making a gross generalization that is untrue in many cases (Tsukasa Hojo per example does a pretty good job among many others on proportions.
My other point about your avatar (I didn't think you'd have that much problem seeing it) is that you appear very critical of the "anime style" while using it for your avatar. Of course the idea that comes to mind is "Hypocrit".

heh I wasnt being hippocritical, I was stating that the art in Mongooses book wasnt anime style in nature and listed the most commonly associated (generalisation or not) visual factors that are most commonly associated with what IS or ISNT considered anime style... how me having an obviously anime styled avatar is being hippocritical I dont see.

Now, we can indeed go back on topic ...

Can't wait for the Monster manual. Illustrations look great. I def. would not say anime style, more like a bit cartoon-ish, but that's not a bad thing in and of itself, if well done (and it seems like it is).

Glad you agree :D

One thing worries me, the OP said that Aldryamis(Elves) get less than a page and Mostalis(dwarves) about 1 page, while Dragonnewts (a race few players should ever play, and rarely see normally, to keep some sense of wonder imho) and elementals (!) get 6 pages ?
My wife really wants to play elves hehe (she comes from AD&D)... I guess I'll have to unhearth my good ol' Elder Secrets (was hoping for lots of RQ Elves art, she doesn't seem to dig the wohle "Elves are vegetal" thing. Just want to prove her it doesn't mean they can only look like trees and shrubs)

Your wife sounds very sensible :) im a big fan of elves myself, (Tolienest through and through.. no flappy anime elf ears for me), its true they dont go into massive amounts of detail about elves, but really how much detail is needed that wouldnt really be better suited to a setting specific book? All the generic info is pretty much succinctly covered.

The elves in the monster book although a nice picture look failry humanised to me.. having my roots with AD&D myself more so than any other system id say they look more Half elven but still its a nice picture.

Out of interest what "should" a typical Gloranthan elf (Aldryamis) look like in comparison to say a tolkienesque elf? are the differences significant in appearance?

Neo said:
Out of interest what "should" a typical Gloranthan elf (Aldryamis) look like in comparison to say a tolkienesque elf? are the differences significant in appearance?

A rather robust discussion on just this matter was had a little while back:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17281&highlight=aldryami

Gloranthan Dwarves are also discussed therein.

- Q

Yeah, I don't know if you want to bother reading all 18 pages.

It basically boils down to this.

People have a preconceived notion of what elves are and what they look like. Greg Stafford altered his version of elves for RuneQuest and linked them with the plant runes.

Now here is where the problems begin.

At first it was a spiritual link, and although elves were technically plants in Glorantha, effectively they were just like any other sentient creatures. Trolls are linked with darkness (a real element in Glorantha just like fire, water, etc.), but they are not beings of pure darkness.

Years passed and versions of RQ came and went and elves became gradually more plant-like. If you look in the Glorantha previews you will find a picture of an elf that looks like a human-sized Ent from Tolkien.

So now you have too schools. One that likes the more human elves that are spiritually linked to the plants and the one that likes Greg's new version that are little more than mobile trees.

Archer said:
Does anyone know when we can expect the SRDs for the Companion and the Monster books?

Matthew told me the Companion SRD would be out next month (October). Dunno about the Monster SRD, though.

Back