I just got RQ Monsters

Yeah, previews would be good! I wish the book had focused more on Glorthana. I'm a newbie and I still don't have a good feel for the world. I guess we'll get a bunch with the world book and cults.

Mongoose Steele said:
As someone who is looking at the files for the book right now...I'm not sure if "anime" is the right word for the art-style. I personally detest anime, and I find this art very nifty for nearly all of the entries. The dragon is probably one of my favourites.

Not sure about the Chonchon though...

I would say, reserve judgment over the art style until you see it.

Cheers all!
Bry[/i]

I'd have to agree Bry, not really anime style at all.. no big eyes, small mouths etc.. in fact the art style is very reminiscent of the kinds of illustrations that were seen in the D&D 3.0 Monster Manual imo for those of you familiar with it, and on the whole the quality is very good.

iamtim said:
Neo said:
I'd have to agree Bry, not really anime style at all..

Yeah, judging by the preview, not at ALL anime styled.

The thing is, anime is an -extremely- large genra.

It can range from this
http://www.andrealattore.com/images/Lodoss.jpg

to this
http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Movies/Yu-Gi-Oh/Yu-Gi-Oh-0002/Yu-Gi-Oh-0002.jpg

I hopw everyones not getting too heated up about anime... To me its more like comic book art style: i.e. inked and then coloured. And then thats only less than 1 in 10 of the pictures.

Theres obviously several artists and like I say, the painting of the broo is one of the best I've seen!!!

Hopefully mr sprange can put up the dragonnewt art and the broo in the next previews so people can see what I mean! :)

I gotta say I like MRQ's take on Ducks. I think HeroQuest has the same take on them, but I haven't read too much HQ.

The Duck on RQ3's Apple Lane looks like a reject from Walt Disney World. :)

Elandyll said:
The thing is, anime is an -extremely- large genra.

It can range from this
http://www.andrealattore.com/images/Lodoss.jpg

to this
http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Movies/Yu-Gi-Oh/Yu-Gi-Oh-0002/Yu-Gi-Oh-0002.jpg

Both of which have features that are intrincisally anime.. mostly about the faces (large eyes, small mouths, small noses, often effeminite faces), body proportions (i.e slender and lithe, large upper bodies,tapering down to slender lower bodies), which is not the style of the RQ Monsters art in anyway... but anywhoooo.

I just thank the lord RQ elves didn't have anime elf ears... that would've make me cry :D :p

Anime elf ears hmmmm.

New skill for anime elves.

Elven ear sign language advanced skill. This gives the practioner the ability to communicate messages by the positioning of their ears.

Please, can we forget the art discussion for a moment? I am still wondering, is the RQ Monsters Open Game Content or not?
It is important to me, because it determines if I will have to write a beastiary for my Arkana campaign setting or not.

(Btw. If the rest of the art are like in the preview, it is ok)

Archer said:
Please, can we forget the art discussion for a moment? I am still wondering, is the RQ Monsters Open Game Content or not?
It is important to me, because it determines if I will have to write a beastiary for my Arkana campaign setting or not.

RQ Monsters contains NO Open Game Content, none at all.

Archer said:

I agree that the general style is just fine. It's nothing like anime, most definitely. However, I still don't like the duck. The overall proportions are fine, but he should be feathered on arms and legs. As is, he looks like a human dress up like some school's duck mascot. Put the feathers back and I can deal with it. It's still better than the cartoonish ducks on Apple Lane and similar older RQ materials. (Part of why we cut ducks out of Glorantha for our first few campaigns.)

As is, he looks like a human dress up like some school's duck mascot.

Actually, in an adventure I was planning on writing...he was going to be Toi the Unforgiven; Duck Pariah.

Toi was so fed up with how badly Ducks are treated in the Second Age that he tore out all his feathers from his limbs and took to a life of crime against his own people. It allowed him to wear a common cowl and boots in order to hide as a short human...just long enough to yank back his hood and reveal to his victim that they were just betrayed by a fellow Duck!

Then again...I could be making all of that up... 8)

I'm allowed to. It's my job. :wink:

-Bry

Neo said:

Technically, either does the main rulebook or the Companion. The actual question is if Mongoose will be releasing an SRD containing the monsters from the Monsters book or not.

iamtim said:
Neo said:

Technically, either does the main rulebook or the Companion. The actual question is if Mongoose will be releasing an SRD containing the monsters from the Monsters book or not.

Neo: Thank you for that anwswer.

iamtim: Yeah, that is the big question. While I definetly will write statistics and descriptions of the races common in my Arkana setting, as well for the more unique "monsters", it would be nice to not have to redo every monster there is within fantasy with radically different looks and statistics, but instead being able to point to the RQ Monsters book.

iamtim said:
Neo said:

Considering the OGL route they are going with RQ I would be amazed if some of it didnt end up in a system Reference Document.. the statistics, traits and non setting specific creatures would seem likely.. but again its a wait and see situation.

Back