I just got RQ Monsters

Ravage

Mongoose
Hey folks...

Continuing a great streak of getting these publications early (Mongoose, you rock! glad I prepaid now), this beauty arrived at my door this morning.

I've only just finished read the Runes of Chaos scenario (average, ok for starter players/GMs) so a welcome surprise arrival...

This book looks cool and another worthy publication. Theres plenty of artwork in varying styles some not to my taste - the anime/comic style art isnt my bag but very professionally done thru to the painted picture of the broo is the best I've ever seen of a broo!

Write-ups are breif and to the point. I was kinda hoping for RQ2-style Borderlands page per creature on living environments, habits, faiths etc. but nevertheless its clearly laid out 150 odd creatures.

Having said that each creatuire at least gets a few paragraphs, generating stats and example stats aplenty. Some sections done really well, like 6 pages on dragonewts, 6 pages on elementals, good stuff

Its nice that the book says its Glorantha-centric (but creatures can be used elsewhere). nice to see old favourities like broo, jack'o'bears, dragonsnails, etc make it and indeed slarges, orcs for renaissance/multiverse setups there too along with mundance creatures, mythical and even dinosaurs and vampires.

Elves seems very small section (and not one mention of the word Aldryami) yet Dwarves get a page, shame but equally hope Mongoose et al will do books on these like the old trollpaks (talking of which we have a snow troll addition to the uz range - new to me!)

First couple of pages has how to use creatures as players and last section has big beasty "bosses" such as the crimsion bat (whoops Mon, you mention its controlled by the red goddess... I KNEW she was out there somewhere... All hail the invisible moon!)

Anyhow, Thats from a skim read, levels of detail and such will have to come forth after i've read it cover to cover.

Hope that helps anyone whose wondering if worthwhile.

I do hope mongoose add some preview pages from this book so people can see the art and how well its laid out etc.

I thought the Crimson Bat didn't appear until the 3rd age when the Red Goddess brought it up from hell? Or was it around previous to that?

Vadrus

Rav, Snow Trolls were in the original TrollPak.
Surely you remember he communal sleeping bags? That's an image that's hard to wipe!
They escaped the Trollkin curse.

There's even a picture of one; Uz Lore page 34.
Ah!, re-reading, they are only rumoured to have escaped the trollkin curse.
Strange. The text says that they've never so much as seen wood. Someone ought to tell the guy in the illustration. He's got a spear!

How come you get these so early?!
Tell us more, tell us more.......
Ralph

Dead Blue Clown said:
Ravage said:
...but equally hope Mongoose et al will do books on these like the old trollpaks...

Almost finished Guide to the Uz, actually.

Wow you're a busy little bee aren't you :D

I work at the more traditional hobby rate of one page every other month :oops:

Vadrus

Melkor said:
How many 'standard fare' (non Glorantha specific) fantasy monsters are in the book ?

Book has more Generic than Gloranthan specific content.. i'd say probably 2/3 generic 1/3 specific and even those could be made to fit any setting if necessary by a Gm with a bit of imagination.

iamtim said:
I think... I think I hate you.

:)

I was just thinking exactly the same :)

I haven't even got the Companion or Rune of Chaos yet...

I think mongoose is producing separate books about Trolls and Elves? At least Trolls book was on their "upcoming" list.

Vadrus said:
Dead Blue Clown said:
Ravage said:
...but equally hope Mongoose et al will do books on these like the old trollpaks...

Almost finished Guide to the Uz, actually.

Wow you're a busy little bee aren't you :D

I work at the more traditional hobby rate of one page every other month :oops:

Vadrus

Heh, I know that rate all too well.

Where in Cheshire do you live, Vadrus? I'm in Liverpool, as it happens.

The Crimson Bat was around earliar but got banished I believe in the first age. The Red goddess then brought the Bat Back
And speaking of Boss monsters, anyone besides me ever fill one of the Eastern island near Vormain with A giant fire breathing Tyranasaurus Rex, a supersize Monkey and a very large flying turtle?

TRose said:
The Crimson Bat was around earliar but got banished I believe in the first age. The Red goddess then brought the Bat Back
And speaking of Boss monsters, anyone besides me ever fill one of the Eastern island near Vormain with A giant fire breathing Tyranasaurus Rex, a supersize Monkey and a very large flying turtle?

I believe that already exists on the island of Loral (iirc).
Not joking; it's mentioned in official material that this is "Monster Island".

Anime style art? *groans*

Well, at least not all of it seems to be that way (if I understand you correctly).

Does it say if the content is open game content or not? that is probably the main thing I want to know at the moment.

Archer said:

RuneQuest have been known for its poor illustrations (with the exception of the troll-supplements of course), so this is just following an old track. :wink:

SGL.

Trifletraxor said:
Archer said:

RuneQuest have been known for its poor illustrations (with the exception of the troll-supplements of course), so this is just following an old track. :wink:

SGL.

Yeah, I know. I have RQ3 Deluxe box + Gloranthan Bestiary right here beside me ;)

I just have an aversion to anime....

'nuff said about the art.

What about the OGL and the monsters book?

Dear All,

As a professional artist, I have to say that the anime drawing style is just plain lazy.

Basically it shows a total lack of understanding of anatomy (or the learning, then dropping for effect of even a smattering of it). In many ways it's just a stylistic short-hand for churning out formulaic pap for cheap publishing.

The above may seem harsh, but I used to work as a commissioning editor for a couple of glossy magazines and have seen first hand the pernicious effect of the anime style on drawing standards.

Or, more sinisterly does it mean that the next edition of MRQ is going to be issued as a set of vivid collectable trading cards of cute battling monsters that fit in one's pocket...?

Regards

As someone who is looking at the files for the book right now...I'm not sure if "anime" is the right word for the art-style. I personally detest anime, and I find this art very nifty for nearly all of the entries. The dragon is probably one of my favourites.

Not sure about the Chonchon though...

I would say, reserve judgment over the art style until you see it.

Cheers all!
Bry[/i]

Back