Hypnotism

slaughterj

Mongoose
I can't see to find any limitations on what Hypnotism magic can be used on, specifically, does it work on Risen Dead?

Hypnotism is an obvious mind-affecting spell or power, and thus, would not work on risen dead, who are mindless. Undead ignore mind-affecting spells or powers as indicated in the d20 SRD.

quigs said:
Hypnotism is an obvious mind-affecting spell or power, and thus, would not work on risen dead, who are mindless. Undead ignore mind-affecting spells or powers as indicated in the d20 SRD.

I wouldn't expect it to work on things with 0 INT/WIS, but I see nothing in the Conan RPG about this...

Also, I wonder how Hypnotism works on Swarms?

slaughterj said:
quigs said:

I wouldn't expect it to work on things with 0 INT/WIS, but I see nothing in the Conan RPG about this...

Also, I wonder how Hypnotism works on Swarms?

Ignoring the "Common Sense Rules" rule of most RPGs (i.e. You cannot mind control something without a mind!), I think swarm control would fall under Nature Magic, were it possible.

And even the most powerful of Hypnotism spells only allow use on a limited number of multiple targets. What kind of evil wizard worth his Black Salt of The Void is going to waste his power controlling the minds of five ordinary sized spiders?

Look up the creature Type descriptions in the SRD. Remember, there were only so many pages in the Conan rulebook and as an OGL ruleset it would have been foolish to waste space reprinting something like the Type descriptions, but nothing in the Conan rulebook suggests we should disregard them either.

Undead are immune to mind-affecting spells and effects, Swarms have the Vermin type and likewise are immune to mind-affecting effects.

Hope that helps.

Back