Hyperspace issues

BabCom

Mongoose
Ok, a buddy of mine asked a good question. Can the poseidon deploy fighters in hyperspace.?

Page 26 states "ships in hyperspace cannot perform and action other than initiate jump point special action"

Page 28 states "Unless otherwise stated by the scenario, all ships carrying flights of fighters may deploy one flight before teh game begins. This flight may be placed anywhere in your deployment zone, and may even be left in hyperspace if those rules are being used"

So the main question is can a carrier deploy its fighters while in hyperspace.?

A ship can begin with fighters deployed in hyperspace. So 1 flight for regular ships, half of its fighters for fleet carriers. It cannot launch any more in hyperspace.

Remember fighters move after ships, so for deployed fighters to enter they must either come through in the turn before the ship opeing the jump point comes through, or (upto 4) may come through on the ships base in support.

So a Poseidon can start in hyperspace with 12 fighters deployed. However if there is no other ship to open a jump point, at least eight of those fighters must come through first and the ship must come through on the following turn with the remainder on its base.

Greg Smith said:
A ship can begin with fighters deployed in hyperspace. So 1 flight for regular ships, half of its fighters for fleet carriers. It cannot launch any more in hyperspace.

Remember fighters move after ships, so for deployed fighters to enter they must either come through in the turn before the ship opeing the jump point comes through, or (upto 4) may come through on the ships base in support.

So a Poseidon can start in hyperspace with 12 fighters deployed. However if there is no other ship to open a jump point, at least eight of those fighters must come through first and the ship must come through on the following turn with the remainder on its base.

So a Poseidon can open a jump point dump 8 fighters. If it had a support ship that can open a jump point it could then dump out 16 fighters.?

A Poseidon can start the game with upto half of its load deployed - twelve of 24. It cannot launch more while it is in hyperspace.

Example: Poseidon on its own. 12 fighters deployed, 4 of those fighters are declared as supporting the ship, ie placed on its base.

Turn 1: Poseidon opens jump point.
Turn 2: If the Poseidon emerges the JP closes before the fighters emerge. So the Poseidon stays in Hyperspace and 8 fghters emerge.
Turn 3: The poseidon energes with 4 fighters on its base. Because the Poseidon has emerged, JP closes.
Turn 4: Poseidon can launch more fighters.

Example 2: Poseidon and Hyperion in hyperspace. 12 fighters deployed from Poseidon, 1 from Hyperion.
Turn 1: Hyperion opens jump point.
Turn 2: Poseidon emerges. 13 fighters emerge during fighter movement phase.
Turn 3: Hyperion emerges. Poseidon can launch more fighters.

I hope that helps.

Greg Smith said:
Example 2: Poseidon and Hyperion in hyperspace. 12 fighters deployed from Poseidon, 1 from Hyperion.
Turn 1: Hyperion opens jump point.
Turn 2: Poseidon emerges. 13 fighters emerge during fighter movement phase.
Turn 3: Hyperion emerges. Poseidon can launch more fighters.

I hope that helps.

Ok, now i understand. thanks for clearing this up for me, and give what i hope will be an edge in the big game on sept 7th..

Technically no it is not a special order, but you can't launch fighters from a ship that has been given a special order. So for all intents and purposes it is nearly a special order. It's not a special order though as if it were you would be able to do it with abilities that allow a ship to be issued two special orders.

BabCom said:
Ok, a buddy of mine asked a good question. Can the poseidon deploy fighters in hyperspace.?

Page 26 states "ships in hyperspace cannot perform and action other than initiate jump point special action"
Where does that leave battles in hyperspace? The new rules in P&P state that in the end phase of each turn, every ship must make a CQ 6 check, with a -1 modifier if it fired any weapons and another -1 penalty if it took any special actions. The fact that this penalty is mentioned implies that the ship can take special actions while in hyperspace. Presumably only in a scenario being fought entirely in hyperspace, as opposed to ships held in hyperspace in reserve for a battle being fought in normal space?

Does the same apply to launching fighters? If a ship is not allowed to launch fighters while in hyperspace reserve, is it allowed to launch them during a battle in hyperspace?

That is right. As a reserve it cannot do anything except enter the table, via a jump point (and jump point special action). In a battle that take place in hyperspace, it may act normally.

While this may seem a little odd, the main reason is to stop hyperspace reserves acting as initiative sinks with impunity.

Sounds reasonable, except that a ship in hyperspace doesn't need to be an init sink to launch fighters - it might simply be allowed to do that at the end of the turn if it did not declare "Initiate jump point".

On the other hand, can it not be an init sink anyway by doing the one thing it is allowed in hyperspace, i.e. declaring "Initiate jump point"?

True It can become a sink by doing so - but as you know then it has declared its intention to enter the battle in the next three turns (if on its own) and with the exception of the Shadows also has to open a jump point on the table- giving an indication of where it will enter.

It can then sink for the next two turns after which it either need to use another ships jump point or plays not further point in the battle.....

What's odd is the large number of times we see an Omega (for example) entering from a jump point with all it's fighters deployed and ready for battle.

Seems this can't really be recreated in the game. I suppose you could purchase extra fighters as patrol choices - but it isn't the same.

Perhaps they launched them before they entered hyperspace :wink:

................but then there are a few little things like this

(Shadows not being able to jump out is another - I gave them a 3 turn recharge)

Democratus said:
What's odd is the large number of times we see an Omega (for example) entering from a jump point with all it's fighters deployed and ready for battle.

Seems this can't really be recreated in the game. I suppose you could purchase extra fighters as patrol choices - but it isn't the same.

don't quote the show, it's a whole can of worms!!

Da Boss said:
True It can become a sink by doing so - but as you know then it has declared its intention to enter the battle in the next three turns (if on its own) and with the exception of the Shadows also has to open a jump point on the table- giving an indication of where it will enter.
Actually, it has declared that something might enter the battle at that point some time during the next three turns. If it's the only ship in hyperspace, its options are somewhat limited, but if there's another ship with a jump engine you can have all sorts of fun. The one which declared "Initiate Jump Point" is already acting as an init sink with impunity; if the enemy takes the hint and diverts something to jump on whatever comes through the jump point, it's also a distraction. And two turns later your other ship opens its jump point behind the would-be attackers. :)

Fighters: unless the rule about only entering the battle with one fighter flight deployed were scrapped entirely, allowing a ship to launch fighters while in hyperspace means the ship in hyperspace has even more of an advantage over one deployed on the table. I'd say that if you see an Omega emerge from hyperspace surrounded by a cloud of fighters, they're probably an independent wing. On the other hand, you might see an Omega emerge from hyperspace while launching fighters; in game terms, it declared "Initiate Jump Point" last turn, then did a minimum move this turn while declaring "Scramble Scramble".

Jumping out after jumping in: I'd say anyone ought to be able to do this. On screen, the Narn did it during "The Long Twilight Struggle"; the only reason they didn't jump immediately after seeing the Shadows was that they'd just jumped in and needed to recharge their engines. Maybe give the Shadows 3 turns to recharge and everyone else 6 turns.

Delthos said:
Technically no it is not a special order, but you can't launch fighters from a ship that has been given a special order. So for all intents and purposes it is nearly a special order. It's not a special order though as if it were you would be able to do it with abilities that allow a ship to be issued two special orders.

This dos not make sense..

The rules as written dos not stop you from lunching a single flight each turn you do not initiate jump point.

DK said:
Delthos said:

This dos not make sense..

The rules as written dos not stop you from lunching a single flight each turn you do not initiate jump point.

Sorry I realized just now I misread your post I was replying to. I saw a question when in fact you are making a statement.

That is correct, if you don't use a Special Action you can launch one flight of fighters (or up to your carrier rating if a carrier). So if you don't initiate a jump point you can launch a fighter flight. Rereading my post I also see I was agreeing with you but it looks like I'm some kind of idiot. Just ignore my post.

Back