How to justify it and what freebies to hand out?

JMISBEST

Mongoose
Someone I know's started A RPG that uses Legend Versions of The unofficial 1st edition ADAD Rules for Social Class and Birth. The problem being 1 Player rolled A 100 for Social Status, A 70 for Homeland then A 3 followed by A 40 on Birth. Which means that he/The Character, is the child of The Reigning King or Queen of The Country that is The Worlds Weakest Super Power, is their oldest child and has 3 younger siblings. How does The GM and player justify A 30 Year Old Ranger who will, unless something goes wrong, 1 day be The Reigning King of The Country that is The Worlds Weakest Super Power and what freebies will justify such a person doing such a undertaking simply for amusement whilst he waits to become The Reigning King of The Country that is The Worlds Weakest Super Power?

There are lots of ways to justify a Prince being a PC.

All princes spend some years adventuring, to get it out of their system and learn valuable skills.
The PC ran away from the court to become a Ranger, scandalising the court, so has been disowned
Prince by day, ranger by night, the Court don't know he is a ranger, but he takes long breaks, wanders around the countryside and returns to Court
He is the third or fourth son, nobody knows what to do with them, they can't rule otherwise they might want to kill their brothers, so the only options are a life adventurous or a life clerical
The Royal family come from a long line of Rangers and all Princes spend some time as a Ranger, part of becoming a man. Even better if the Prince doesn't really like the outdoors.
The Prince decided to become a Ranger and has been shunned by the court. Every so often, the King sends someone after him to drag him back ...
Third Prince became a Paladin, so Fourth Prince could only be a Ranger and he is annoyed that he couldn't be a Paladin (Ah, he is First prince, didn't see that, perhaps Second Prince became a Paladin instead and really annoyed him)

As for freebies, he would definitely get good equipment, maybe a magical sword. other stuff would depend on his relationship with the court.
If he is a secret ranger, then he couldn't really call on any favours, unless he got into real trouble.
He might be rich, so would have access to a lot of gold.
He might try to call on people's help, as he is a Prince, but do they believe him?
He might try to call on people's help, as he is a Prince, but do they care?
He might have some powerful friends, perhaps the local Duke, or Commander of the local forces.

JMISBEST said:
Someone I know's started A RPG that uses Legend Versions of The unofficial 1st edition ADAD Rules for Social Class and Birth. The problem being 1 Player rolled A 100 for Social Status, A 70 for Homeland then A 3 followed by A 40 on Birth. Which means that he/The Character, is the child of The Reigning King or Queen of The Country that is The Worlds Weakest Super Power, is their oldest child and has 3 younger siblings. How does The GM and player justify A 30 Year Old Ranger who will, unless something goes wrong, 1 day be The Reigning King of The Country that is The Worlds Weakest Super Power and what freebies will justify such a person doing such a undertaking simply for amusement whilst he waits to become The Reigning King of The Country that is The Worlds Weakest Super Power?

This is basically Aragorn, no? Heir to the throne of Gondor but in hiding because the Dark Lord wants him dead, so he has to become a ranger for years until the means for reclaiming his kingdom is available.

Maybe the character's kingdom has been usurped by evil interlopers
Maybe the character is in hiding because he's been accused of a crime he didn't commit

Honestly, its such an archetype that it should not be hard coming up with reasons.

Another idea. Hows this sound

He convinced his father to let him travel the world disguised as A Ranger from A Family of Wealthy Commoners as he truly believed and convinced his father that the things he'd see, learn, witness, discover, hear and find out whilst seemingly being Ranger from A Family of Wealthy Commoners would in the end make him a far better king then he otherwise would have been. But he still starts with a lot of cash, some treasures and a few minor goods and a squad of at least 10 soldiers of either Cr 5 each or at least 1 Cr each higher then the average Cr of adventures planned enemies that can be on scene to save his life in 10 rounds max

Sounds good. It might be funny for the PCs to fight alongside him and then have the soldiers appearing to save the day, without them knowing why.

More ideas please. My friends in way over his head and I want to be able to offer immediate advise when he realizes it and asks my help

JMISBEST said:
More ideas please. My friends in way over his head and I want to be able to offer immediate advise when he realizes it and asks my help

As a friend of his, rather than sitting back and thinking "he's in way over his head" and that "he IS going to fail, I'll wait till he does then jump in to save him" which seems to be quite a selfish way of thinking so that you can be the hero, why don't you speak to him in private so that this does not happen?

Be POSITIVE and polite to him - Say something like "I think you are doing a fantastic job with the game, but I am worried you may have a bigger job ahead of you than you realise. I'd like to offer some support and ideas to help you be carry on being great and get better." If he accepts your help give it freely; if he says no thank you, or not right now then back off and be ready for if/when he asks.

Assuming he is going to fail is not very supportive; offering to help/advise before it happens in a polite way is. He may want to do his best without help (everyone learns from mistakes and some people learn best from their mistakes) but he may be sitting there wanting help but unsure/afraid to ask for it and hating the GMing experience because of this. Talk to him privately so he has the choice how to respond and doesn't feel pressure from the whole group.

Then report back what happened ;)

What levels, characters and races would you suggest for the princes 12+ guards of A Cr or Legends Equivalent of 5 per guard or 1 Cr per guard more then the average Cr of the adventurers likely foes with adventures that are official or custom made by The GM

JMISBEST said:
What levels, characters and races would you suggest for the princes 12+ guards of A Cr or Legends Equivalent of 5 per guard or 1 Cr per guard more then the average Cr of the adventurers likely foes with adventures that are official or custom made by The GM

Whatever suits the level of the campaign, really.

They would need to be of a similar level to common soldiers, whatever that level is in your game. Maybe they'd be better, it all depends on how much the Prince's family want to molly-coddle him.

Can I have more ideas please. My friend asked for my help but I'm too busy looking after my very ill yet 100% guaranteed to recover mother?. Please, thank you and sorry if I seem a bore

The trouble is, I think, that you are asking D&D questions in a Legend Forum. So, the answers you get are either very generic or geared up to Legend.

If you were interested in how to do it in Classic Fantasy, for example, that might be easier to answer.

How about they've only recently inherited that position and part of their subplot is discovering and coming to terms with their new responsibilities...

For example a former mercenary convalescing from injuries from a recent battle learns that due to recent uprising they are now the legitimate heir to the throne.

He and his father were originally outcasted because of their elvish heritage.
His father died protecting him from rivals unwilling to let them walk away and he has spent most of his life assuming various identities to survive.

The crux of the matter is that his paternal great grandfather married an elvish herbalist who bore his son before he was forced to divorce to marry someone more suitable after his father and older brother died leaving him the heir.

Due to those other descendants dying out the court is forced to seek out the aging mercenary to assume the throne, however he has a daughter of his own and will only assume the responsibilities until he can find someone more worthy rather than risk them going after his daughter when they inevitably find out about her.

Was that the kind of ideas you're asking for...

She's started running it but she and I've have a question

How to handle trials for crimes the Pcs commit when he can give all of them A Royal Pardon for anything short of Major Deamon-Worship, Major War-Crimes and Major Crimes against Sentient Species and his Father who is his Homelands King can give all of them A Royal Pardon for anything, even Major Deamon-Worship, Major War-Crimes and Major Crimes against Sentient Species?

JMISBEST said:
How to handle trials for crimes the Pcs commit when he can give all of them A Royal Pardon for anything short of Major Deamon-Worship, Major War-Crimes and Major Crimes against Sentient Species and his Father who is his Homelands King can give all of them A Royal Pardon for anything, even Major Deamon-Worship, Major War-Crimes and Major Crimes against Sentient Species?

This is almost a real-world problem. A lot of real-world people have pardoned their friends.

You can handle it in several ways, for example:
  • The trial goes ahead and the PCs are found guilty, but are pardoned. People grumble but can't do much about it.
  • The trial goes ahead and the PCs are found guilty, but are pardoned. People rise up in anger and are crushed by the PCs and an army.
  • The trial goes ahead and the PCs are found guilty, but are punished before they are pardoned. Be careful with this one, especially if the punishment is death.
  • The trial goes ahead and the PCs are found guilty, but escape before they are pardoned. Are they later pardoned or does their escape make the pardon politically problematic?
  • The trial goes ahead and the PCs offer no defence, as they know they are going to be pardoned, but the pardon never comes.

As for the trial itself, I'd handle this as an Extended Contest of some sort. The Prosecution brings witnesses or makes arguments and the PCs, or their lawyer, roll to counter their arguments, with penalties if the Prosecution's case is good. At the end, make a roll to see who the Judge/Jury believes.

Back