How close are your ACTA games in general?

How close are your ACTA games in general?

• A. Very close

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Somewhat close

• C. Somewhat of a blowout

• D. Almost complete blowout

• Total voters

ATN082268

Mongoose
How close are your A Call to Arms (ACTA) games in general? Choose the answer which most closely matches your own.

I haven't played as many games as I would have liked and only 1 against someone who scored higher than me in a tournament, but there's never been any real doubt who won any of my games.

The closest one was when I went 5 Battle against a Minbari fleet with my ISA and made the mistake of bringing a raid point of T-Bolts. I won the game quite handily as far as control of space goes and smashing his ships up, but when we got to VPs, all those fighter flights nearly cost me. I think I won by 10 VPs or less that game.

More often then not i play my centauri vs ISA and we are about 50/50 in tems of winning games, and most every time, they have been very close.

When i have the pleasure of playing the narn, i usually kick the living crap out of them, except that last time...

against Minbari....well, we all know what happens there.

I have a high success rate vs, any of the legue, with some notable exceptions.

Ive only played the vorlons twice, once I blew him out, the other time he blew me out...ahh beams.

anyways, normally our games are somewhat close, but 9/10 games are pretty much decided by turn 4, however, no one in our group is king of the ring, and we are all pretty much even when it comes to who has won how many games, even when it comes to the minbari or shadows.

The games in my group are normally 100% loss of my ships and when I'm lucky 1-3 damaged ships for the enemy (and when I'm especially lucky I can finish one ship of the ones the others field).

The problem for me is my bad luck (~80% of all my rolls end up with 1-3)
and the good luck of my enemies (>70% of his rolls end up with 5+.....
and i don't wanna get into any details how many 6's they roll...especially one of them......12 hits with a beam weapon is a weak roll for that player
)

Most of the time I loose 1 ship per volley from one of their ships.
And for the especially lucky one: In more then 15 games he NEVER
lost a single ship, regardles if it's against me or against others.
(that luck he has with dices really helps for CBD's ;) )

In my experience most people don't play games to the end which will skew results. At the point it becomes "obvious" who's won, a game is wrapped up. Problem with that is it may look like one side is going to win easily but only way to know for sure is to play to the very end.

The very few games I have played to the end have been much closer than it might first have appeared, especially scenarios based on VP's.

Well that will be even more the case once the new ramming rules are confirmed it will be fare easier to ram and your going to see beaten useless ships going what the hell die for the cause!

often suprisingly close.

played three games in the last 6-7 days: Won 1 lost 2

Narn vs Centauri - 5 pt battle - big win for Centauri, :D

League vs Drakh (Darkness Rising rules) 5 pt raid + Admiral each - Drakh won but only his badly damaged Cruiser survived.

Psi Corps vs Earth Alliance (Dr Rules again) + Admiral each - 60 Vp for Psi Corps and 56 VP for Earth - can't get much clsoer than that!

I'll agree with the statement about calling it early - several games I have seen which were "won " or "lost" have suddenly turned around :)

My experiences match mollari_uk's very closely, except I hate sticking around for the end if my opponent has suffered a morale failure, so I want to pack it in as soon as possible to get any bad taste out of folks' mouths, if they should exist. I'm a pretty bad "pick-it-up" offender.

The old SFoS Drakh used to have an inordinately large number of extremely close matches --- and I hope, with the fix to the Amu, some of that'll come back again. Losing even one damage and crew from the Light Raider would likely help that, too (one point on these small ships makes a world of difference; I know several folks who feel the LR is overprotected, even if I don't)

the Three of us left playing up here usually have pretty close games, primarily because our ISA player has switched to abbai to stop people smacking him in the face! prior to that it was always a one sided romp for the ISA, or in multiple battles, anyone who had the ISA on there side.

recent battles have seen close wins for the abbai against the Brakiri, then a bit of a whomping for the Dilgar against the same brakiri fleet (but it was very close till round 6) we have a 10 war oin a side battle lined up, thus far comprising of Narn, Minbari, Cheese S A, Shadows and psi Corp we are tryong top get a 6th player. yup, that is 2 players more than we actually normally manage, the two extra players have played 3 games between them in the last 18 months! will get pics etc and abatrep if/when we do it

Depends which fleet I use, and who I fight against. My poor EA 3rd Age have been spanked in every single game that I've used them against the Vree.

The games I've used Centauri against narns I've convincingly won most of them, except once, and that game was a 'my own silly fault' kind of loss :oops: Whereas when I have faced our ISA player with the fanheads it has always been very tight, and neither of us has every really convincingly beaten the other.

Yesterday I took my Brakiri fleet out for a shakedown game and completely destroyed an 5 pt raid EA 3rd age fleet for the loss of 2 flights of falkosi. Which even suprised me a bit.

Obviously my games are close to Chris's, though I've managed a few with other folks outside the main group.

Sometimes hard to play out VP based ones when you fleet is getting utterly destroyed. Yes you can still be close or win... but it feels like crap.

Some games we see a trend and aside from silly luck we don't see how it could change so pack it in early. I've tried to stop doing that with any testing as I want to see if maybe I am mistaking stuff. So far with the exception of a couple of Abbai games, I haven't seen anything to shake my faith in my initial judgements of games we stopped early.

On the abbai games, it would have been closer than expected, but likely still a loss... comes down to threat sphere stuff and could a mini get beyond and stay alive as a sink for the rest of the game type stuff. No real way left in the fleet at the time to hunt cripples.

So for us, on games we push... if the ISA, Minbari or Drazi are on the table it usually goes one way or the other big. Narn vs Brakiri, where they had the multiple Kalivas... one way or the other, big... usually dead narns. Vree vs anyone... big one way or the other... though usually Vree are the one doing well.

Very few just close games really... Drahk get some, joint league get some, EA get some... no local Centauri lately, but maybe?

Ripple

I average about 60/40 win/loss with my early years fleet, and about 50/50 win/loss with my 3rd age fleet.. Which from what i hear is a pretty good ratio.. And i prefer to play to the end, which normally gets me the win...

CratZ said:
Lost every single game with my 3rd age. Most games with the enemy fleet almost unharmed.

What do you typically field in say, a 5 raid or 5 battle? And who against? 3rd Age EA has a lot of good options, I'm suprised to hear you are doing so poorly

Indeed, 3rd Age is the fleet I played when I went up against ISA the first time. And I spanked the ISA player.
Course, that's the only game I ever played EA, so I guess my results may be atypical. Kind of hard to predict based on 1 game...

Dilgar and Vree. Mostly Dilgar actually. When I come to think of it I played 2 games against Crusade EA and those games I actually won.

Anyways, Dilgar and Vree give me trouble. With Dilgar the problem is that they outgun me and outmanouver. Dilgar firepower is just ridiculous. First turn I face a missile barrage that takes down atleast 1 of my more important ships. Second or third turn they come with their bolters and after that I have lost most of my firepower to be able to win. And the amount of dices that dilgar throws at me makes interceptors next to useless. The dilgar player also uses often a cheap tactic against my lumbering ships by placing jashakars in their path so I simply dont have enough room to move outside his F arc with all power to engines. Fighters are usually pretty much useless because dilgar is capable of mustering almost the same amount to counter them. All this is backed up by atleast 2 patrol level scouts to ensure those AP, DD guns destroy their target.

Vree just stays outside my sidearc ranges so I can't shoot much back. And those patrol ships are just ridiculous. 4 dices with SAP, DD? this makes its damage output on par with a beam from my hyperion. (average of 3-4 hits from the beam). The fact that almost the entire fleet has SAP, DD makes my little EA ships cry.

I havent actually tried out the new FAP yet. At 5 pt battle my list might have looked like.

2 Omega
avenger
2 olympus
2 artemis
4 hermes
Nova
and something nice with the points left.
I have also used my other omega as a pulse and make a jump in from hyperspace with pulse omega and nova. With the new FAP I will have even less ships. This actually hurts 3rd age since my skirmish ships are only ones that can compete with dilgar and vree equilevant.

At raid I have always 1 avenger and 2 olympus and 2 artemis. Pretty much the core of my raid fleets. The rest changes from time to time.

My view on this game is that the most important factors to win games are movement and firepower. Dilgar and vree are better than EA 3rd in both.
(crits and swarms are a different story).

Most people in my group are at about 50-50 when using the elite fleets against other elite fleets. Except for the new ISA guy, but it always takes a few games to get a feel for the game. When an elite fleet goes up against a second rate one its about 70 -30. And I have yet to see a Drazi win.

CratZ, try replacing your Avenger with an Explorer and see how that works out for you. I knw the 2 additional flights and Fleet Carrier from the Avenger are nice, but the Avenger has a Very short life expectancy. Try Scout and longer life.

Back