How about a Traveller/Mongoose magazine in newstands print?

Bygoneyrs

Mongoose
Hello Mongoose Pub,

Being one of the old timers (playing Traveller now for almost 30 yrs), I loved and remember fondly and still have all the newstand Printed magizines that were out there for Traveller. The one that I remember with the greatest fondness was "Challenge" Magizine. How about Mongoose step up to the plate and publishes a monthly gaming magizine that comes out in Newstand Printed versions and .pdfs for those that want that kinda of format. I know you have some .pdf base mag but yoy will find that Traveller has alot of old timers still playing it, and if you were to publish one for sale on newstands that you would regain many old timers and new recruits to the calling again. Throw in the fact that you could cover Traveller, Judge Dredd, and B5 you would greatly attract lots more interests. I know I have every magazine I ever bought in magazine sheet protectors, and from time time go back to them. I would love to see a new magazine dedicated to this genre again, with Traveller bing it's focus and also covering other space based games as well. Not everyone wants .pdfs, and speaking for one of those old timers with a very Traveller frindly wallet I'd be more than happy to buy a subscription. Heck I pre-ordered all (8) of your current Traveller books and look forward to more releases.

What say you Mongoose Pub folks, and what do the rest of the people think?

Penn

While I would love to see this sort of thing I doubt it will happen. Dungeon and Dragon magazines are no longer available as print magazines, online content only. If a couple of big magazines like that (big as in for RPG magazines they were big) can't keep going in a printed form I have a hard time imagining others starting a new rpg related print magazine.

The newer people around here may not remember it, but Mongoose did have an inhouse print magazine for their games, it was called Signs & Portents, it ran for 25 printed monthly issues before becoming a free download only magazine. It is available on the main site.

LBH

Printed game magazines don't make money unless they happen to be Knights of the Dinner Table (which is a comic that has gaming related articles in the back). While I would love to see a real magazine again, not gonna happen.

Signs & Portents is a good PDF magazine but it suffers from the same thing that Dragon and Dungeon now do...that landscape format! I would rather print the articles out , but this format makes that annoying at times. But...its better than nothing and does provide some good stuff.

Allen

I would just like to point out that (as far as I know) Dungeon and Dragon Magazines were both canceld because WotC changed their over all corporate strategy when DD4 was released.

The company that published those magazines (Paizo) was sorely hurt by losing that license and if WotC had not pulled it, they would have continued to write them (probably).

So it was not a -we're losing money, let's cancel it!- type of thing.

/wolf

msprange said:
Funny someone should bring this up - we have been talking about bringing S&P back into print. . .

You just can't let your customers to have idea you have an idea you haven't thought already ;-)

msprange said:
Funny someone should bring this up - we have been talking about bringing S&P back into print. . .

Hmmm... would I buy it?... Yeah if you still separated RPG and Minis games, maybe, probably.

You see the trouble I have here is that MGP (god bless you) have quite a range of games. A Magazine about all of them would probably cost me way to much concidering how many of MGPs games I acctually cared about. And I still care about quite a few.

See what I mean?

/wolf

Guys I feel that a New Published magizine would do great if, it was focused on a specific topics. Like a Spaced based one would do great for Traveller, B5, and Judge Dredd.

Penn

PS: Oh and the Dragon and Dungeon magazines were shut down BECAUSE WOC got gready and wanted pure profit and wanted to focus everything to their Online format to make more money the Vampires. I have played D&D now for 32+ yrs and DROPPED buying and playing THAT game anymore. D&D, AD&D,v2.0,v2.5,v3.0,and v3.5 was enough. I am not impressed with v4.0 and willnot buy those new books. My gaming resource library is HUGE and I have never seen anyone that even comes close to it size and volumn of stuff, but I will not drop another DIME for v4.0 D&D

Bygoneyrs said:
Guys I feel that a New Published magizine would do great if, it was focused on a specific topics. Like a Spaced based one would do great for Traveller, B5, and Judge Dredd.

Yeah... maybe... Me personally? I'd like Elric, Conan and Traveller in one mag... all the rest of the MGP games can kiss my ar*e. Can I have that?

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more the Free-PDF version they have now is superior. I grab it, rip out the 3/10th that I want and bin the rest. This without feeling cheated for paying money for games I don't even play.

I don't know... tough nugget, this one.

/wolf

Hi,

I like the PDF version of Signs & Portents. My bookshelves are full of books and magazines anyway - I can do without more. With the PDF issue of S&P I just print the articles that are relevant to me.

And I appreciate the support MGP gives its products via S&P. It is the reason why I bought various books in the first place - books I would not have bought if I had not had prior information from S&P articles.

TTFN

Ian

I'd be happy as a clam with the free online version of Signs & Portents IF it were in portrait format and not landscape. Other than that, its all good.

Now if Mongoose were to bring back the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society (without killing the online version by SJG, which I'm not sure they could do anyway)...but expanded that to cover all their science-fiction games...I just might subscribe to that.

Allen

Allensh said:
I'd be happy as a clam with the free online version of Signs & Portents IF it were in portrait format and not landscape. Other than that, its all good.
I luv the landscape. So much easier to read on a computer monitor. Easier to rotate a printed page 90 degrees to read landscape than buy a fancy monitor that can be turned 90 degrees for reading the portrait layout.

CosmicGamer said:
Allensh said:
I luv the landscape. So much easier to read on a computer monitor. Easier to rotate a printed page 90 degrees to read landscape than buy a fancy monitor that can be turned 90 degrees for reading the portrait layout.

Not so good if you want to print out the info and put it in a binder though...then you have to turn the whole notebook sideways.

Allen

msprange said:

If you do go this way please, please keep the PDF version as well!

Craig.

Back