Help..Having trouble with "depth" and "ongoin

emirikol

Mongoose
I know that the short-story nature is part of REH's stories, however I've tired of having series' of unconnected adventures and a seemingly 'depthless'world.

Our current campaign is set in shem and is scheduled to head to Zamboula in a week.

Do I need "Metaplots" such as Turan invading or something to help create a feeling that there's something else going on in the world? My campaigns feel like dry, one-adventure-to-the-next one-shot scenarios.

Please help me be a better DM! I need ideas!

Jay H
Lakewood, CO, USA

There is basically a spectrum for how you can run your campaign. At one end is the totally isolated from one another adventures with varying characters (different people show, or same people use different characters) at varying times (even before previous adventures), though more typically this end consists of generally isolated adventures that occurs days or months after previous ones with roughly the same characters who are advancing in experience over time. At the other end is a virtually day-by-day account of the character's exploits and other world events going on, though this can be too extreme due to monotony (let's just get to the next city, skip the 3 random encounters!), world events don't happen too often plus communication takes time so you would experience much of these, and finally PCs would advance too quickly (even at a pace of 1 level every couple of adventures, if the adventures are every couple of days, in a month they'll be extremely high level). Further with the latter, you can just let the PCs dictate their plans, which is what I do with a lot of fantasy gaming, i.e., let them decide where they will seek adventure, etc., rather than placing them in the midst of it as is the typical case, whether in Conan or D&D.

For Conan, I tend toward the former, i.e., adventures which are largely isolated from one another, but keep some consistency of time and geography changes (i.e., a few weeks might pass, and the characters have moved on from the last adventure taking place in Shem, and now they are in Zamboula, Turan, Stygia, or Koth for their next adventure, but not in Vendya, Khitai, Hyperborea, etc.). If the game runs long enough, they may hear of world events, they may change the course of world events (less likely), they may be affected by world events (more likely), and they may encounter some connections along the way (e.g., run into the same villain, ally, rival, or contact, get involved with an aspect of a world event (e.g., one country invading another, so they are in the army of one or the other, or run into a battle, or whatnot), etc.).

You can create as many connections as you like, but the more you add to create an on-going campaign, the less free you are to just run a fun adventure sometimes. A few metaplots can be useful as a guide, and also provide the PCs with information to work with though. They can end up just being world information, can have a minor effect (PCs traveling from Zamboula to Turan for whatever reason have to deal with incoming raiders from Turan), or can have a major effect (PCs in the defense of Zamboula), but you have the ability to choose the level of effect in any given adventure, which is nice. So the PCs choose to avoid the incoming Turan raiders, and in the process, find and explore a haunted pyramid - at that point, the Turan raiders can be of no concern to the PCs or they can be a chasing force that drives the PCs to the haunted pyramid - the world event can have a minor effect on them, or not one at all if they are interested in the exploration anyway.

In summary, having a few available metaplots can be useful, but don't feel they force your hand in driving certain adventures.

I asked my players and got an overiding "yes we like ongoing plots and badies" so I am building one in.

I am setting it up in Messantia and there they are going to come more and more into conflict with House Tartan. At first they won't even know it, just going against some of their interests, but as the clashes become more obvious emnity will evolve so hopefully the PCs will have a BADDIE to blame everything on.

Well, the trick Howard used to add "depth" to his world was to fill each story with a supporting cast who each had a rich and frequently twisted backstory and who also frequently were in conflict with each other. Sometimes Conan came in to the middle of the conflict and shook things up and sometimes he was already a player with shared backstory. This gave the reader the sense that there was lots of stuff happening "off camera" in the world despite the mostly episodic nature of the saga.

However, Howard also made use of the omniscent narator. He had the supporting cast lay out their backstories with inner monolouges and frequently even kept the titular Cimmerian off camera for large portions of the story! This is something that is very hard to do in a RPG where the players are supposed to be not only playing from their character's POV but also (in theory) the center of attention.

One way you can mimic Howard's style in a RPG is to use "secrets". Give your NPC's/locations/ancient artifacts backstories and then make those backstories important to the game. Then let the players "uncover" the "secrets". The trick here is to make the players work (but not too hard, you don't really want them to fail) to work for the "secrets". That way when you take 10 minutes to lay out the backstory it feels to them like rewards for their labours and not booring exposition. Players love uncovering "secrets"! :lol: Just remember to have their "hard work" pay off otherwise they will quickly loose interest.

You can use this technique for everything from simple, quick Knowledge and Gather Info checks up to designing entire adventures around uncovering the "secret". If you can get your players used to this then soon they will want to know more about everything, then they will start asking questions on their own about things you probably didn't add a backstory too. When this happens rub your chin and nod sagely then make them jump through a few hoops to buy you time to improvise some details. When they ask you if their DC 18 Knowledge check is enough make some noises about giving them a "few details" then give them whatever you just came up with. Once the players reach this point they will start to imagine hidden "depth" behind everything ... and if they believe it to be true then it is! :twisted:

A good GM is always half con-artist. Deny, Defy and Mistify! 8)

Oh, BTW. Once you reach the stage of improv-GMing it is inevitable that you will invent a detail, forget it, then have a player bring it up. When that happens don't loose your cool, tell the player "good catch, I forgot about that" then tell them that they are correct and whatever devious plan they have that you were about to tell them was not going to work now will work because of that one critical detail they remembered (there will always be a devious plan in this scenario BTW, players never remember details except to use them for devious plans :roll: ). Then ratchet up the difficulty of another encounter elsewhere and after the session tell them "whew, I didn't think you were going to have that much trouble, good thing Bob had that plan otherwise you would have all been toast". This is what the psychologists call "positive reinforcement". 8)

Hope that helps.

You can also set up hooks for future adventures in current ones without their being completely related. For example if you go with the ever popular 'fleeing a defeated army' opening you can later have an adventure where the players try to avenge themselves on the traitor who betrayed them/the sadistic enemy general who murdered their comrades who surrendered, or rescue the beautiful Queen who's army they served in from the conquerers seraglio or whatever.
Another fairly simple idea is to have a secret society that the players encounter from time to time, at first incidentally then later when the players are powerful they will confront the menace directly.
Given the impermanence of money and equipment in Conan the main treasures for PC's are reputation and people who owe them favours. So if the PC's return to an area where they saved a rich merchant or a noble work them back into the story, even if they merely provide a place to stay or a few silvers it gives the world more of a backstory.

BTW Argo, great advice there.

Itkovian said:
You can also set up hooks for future adventures in current ones without their being completely related. For example if you go with the ever popular 'fleeing a defeated army' opening you can later have an adventure where the players try to avenge themselves on the traitor who betrayed them/the sadistic enemy general who murdered their comrades who surrendered, or rescue the beautiful Queen who's army they served in from the conquerers seraglio or whatever.
Another fairly simple idea is to have a secret society that the players encounter from time to time, at first incidentally then later when the players are powerful they will confront the menace directly.
Given the impermanence of money and equipment in Conan the main treasures for PC's are reputation and people who owe them favours. So if the PC's return to an area where they saved a rich merchant or a noble work them back into the story, even if they merely provide a place to stay or a few silvers it gives the world more of a backstory.

BTW Argo, great advice there.

Along those lines, there are often loose ends at the end of any adventure, and they could come back to haunt the PCs (literally or metaphorically) in later adventures, which could add richer depth to a campaign.

As a GM with little time to create a campaign with depth and feel I am going to use a technique of using canned adventures for my up coming campign (from Goodman Games) for the meaty parts (with appropriate changes Hyboria has no orcs!) and using rumor tables to foreshadow (and hopefully provide depth/feel).

Combined with Persistant NPC with motivations and agendas I hope to add alot of depth with little work. Persoanlly I agree with the others in that Persistant NPCs make/break a campaign.

Below is part of the table (as time moves forward rumors will be added/subtracted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Missing People (Gather Info DC12 – slavers are working hard to fill their cages before the rains end)  Rat King

Shoddy Swords (Gather Info DC12 – someone is making cheap black iron swords – damn things break apart when used against real steel – DC18 the metal is poisonous or something the wounds fester and victim weakens and dies)  Savage Kings

Beast Men (Gather Info DC15 – local trappers are seeing a lot of Beastmen moving about; the cowards don’t attack unless they’ve got numbers – weird how they’re moving about though || DC20 local hunter figures they’ve had some sort of civil war as he’s seen them fighting)
 Rat King and Lost Vault

Old Saul the Shemite Retires (Gather Info DC15 – famed local hero has announced that he is no longer selling his sword – he is retiring to live the good life with his four slave girls (recently bought) and two wives).  Lost Vault

End of the World (Gather Info DC12 – a wandering priest has divined that the world is ending – coin for an ale will buy you a ‘reading’ – coin for a doxy will get you a ‘coin reading’ - a vision of wealth). no adv. tye-in

Nemedian Pox (Gather Info DC10 – local whore house, ‘Teats of Isis’ is closed down with the pox – owner is looking for fresh doxies and will pay top price || DC20 In truth they’ve been closed down by the Baron’s men for selling a bit more than flesh – no one is saying what a ‘bit more’ is though). no adv tye-in

Small Caravan is Eaten (Gather Info DC15 – about a month ago, though the rumor is fresh, a caravan was found with it men and beasts half eaten (half way to Tarsus) || DC20 the parts that weren’t eaten were covered in foul boils and fearsome plague spots).  Savage Kings

Snow Leopards (Gather Info DC15 – a mild winter has brought the great cats down in good numbers, hunters are reporting good sized pelts near Skull Gate || DC20 Where there are Snow Leopards there are Hyperborean hunting parties, and they just don’t hunt the leopards). no adv. tye-in

Grey Apes (Gather Info DC15 – as usual the Grey Ape rutting season and the rains have coincided the apes are unusually territorial and violent – though the pelts a worth some silvers). No adv. tye-in

Sweaters (Gather Info DC12 – a recent immigrant from Aqulonia has set up a ‘weavery’ and is looking for some good Cimmerian wool – of course those mountain sheep aren’t the easiest to shear) No adv. tye-in

Missing Caravan (Gather Info DC15/DC12 (Silverton) – a late caravan from Nemedia has gone missing according to the outriders it carried a mix set of goods (pottery; textiles; good Nemedian cooking ware; Brythian wine; and honey) || DC20/DC15 (Silverton) – the caravan master is known to ‘smuggle’ exotic goods with his mundane (like lotus powders; rare scrolls; and fine silver wares)  Rat King

Back