Help a noob get into SST!

Amon Duul

Mongoose
OK - all the fuss and stink on TMP bout SST:E has got me thinking again about getting into SST. I am a total noob to this system so these Qs might be real dumb. Pls. bear with me!

I'm not that bothered about the upcoming pre-paints and prefer to paint my own. Therefore would probably get the current SST box set.

1) If I added, say, a Marauder and some hoppers to the contents of the box is that enough to play with for a while? I don't want SST to become a money pit for me and am looking for more of a beer and pretzels experience.

2) As I understand it the changes to the rulebook will be available here as a PDF next year when SST:E is released. So there's no reason not to invest in the current set, right?

Regards, thanks in advance and felicitations!

AD

Right -

16 MI and 1 Marauder is around 900 points (if you use the MI Book, slightly more using the list from the main R). Treating 1 model as the NCO, that still gives you two squads of 8 (including the Marauder Suit in the 7 man squad).

Bugs are more expensive - 20 Warrior Bugs and 3 Hoppers is 450 points without Tunnel Assets. With two Tunnel Entrances and three Tunnel Markers (the maximum allowed at Priority Level 1) you can field 700 points. My advice is to add a Tanker, and then you can take it to PL2 and take more assets too.

Amon Duul said:
1) If I added, say, a Marauder and some hoppers to the contents of the box is that enough to play with for a while? I don't want SST to become a money pit for me and am looking for more of a beer and pretzels experience.

If you make special scenario yes(MI will have big point advantage there).

If you don't want money sink try this: Find somebody who wants to start SST as well and trade arachnids to him. Start MI. They are pretty cheap army to play with :D

If you check my battle report(should still be in first page) you can see my MI army. That's 115€ in the more expensive method(buying cap trooppers invidually. By buying starter sets together with arachnid players it gets even cheaper). And legal 2000 pts army with some options(okay standard bearer model is out but you can make up for lost 50 pts with options like traits).

Well AD,if you buy the starter set, rules and all, it owkrd out as geting the rules for free as the cost of the miniatures you get in the set, seperate, would equal the cost of the set. It is good value and totally worth it.

Back