Guide to the Station

FuryMaster

Mongoose
I am waiting with anticipation for this one, in fact my 2nd edition campaign is waiting to launch until this product is out. So Matt and Co. does this look like it will be out on time (mid August)? So far I've been impressed with the 2E products and find the revamped system to be superior to the old, hopefully this continues...I think B52E is now on par with Conan RPG as the best D20 games available.

Furymaster

It was a bit of a bear ... watching every episode I could squeeze in and mining every resource I could lay my hands on - most of which disagreed with each other. But I got to say, despite all the trouble (and blowing my deadline too) I'm pretty proud of how it came out. Looking forward to seeing the final product with all the pretty maps - they're certain to be a far cry from my chicken scratch doodles with notes like 'Access to Zocalo through here' scrawled off to the side in handwriting made all but illegible by bleary eyes and cramped fingers. :)

Yesterday night I had a hard time sleeping and so I crawled out of bed and opened my other box set of MP 'Ruins of the Dragon Lord'.
I have to say at first, that I'm a very, very careful lad when it comes to handling books. I truly keep them in near perfect condition even after years of ownership. No other did I handle the three softback books in the box. I've not even taken the box gaming, as we are not yet fully into D&D, playing LotR from Decipher right now, but yesterday night, dispite me handling it very carefully, not opening the pages too far apart, holding a hand in the back to support the copy and so on, my "The Dragon Stone" copy binding fell apart :cry: :x

It wasn't that easy coming by a copy of that box at a resionable price here and I'm a bit frustrated about the quality of the binding. What's going to happen to the books if I use them in a gaming situation, if they can't even sustain friendly skimming through the pages. :?:

Why do I post this here?!
I just want to ask, if that is likely to happen to the books in the upcoming Babylon 5: Guide to the Station box? I very much want to have it, it definately sounds like a wonderful, perfect must-have gaming product but if I sink the equivalent of some 50 bucks in it, I want the stuff to hold together, not only while reading it, but also when I put it to use in a gaming situation on a table with friends... :( :(

Cut said:
but yesterday night, dispite me handling it very carefully, not opening the pages too far apart, holding a hand in the back to support the copy and so on, my "The Dragon Stone" copy binding fell apart :cry: :x

Firstly, if it fell apart pretty much the first time you opened it I'd email sales@mongoosepublishing.com - they'll hopefully offer to replace it for you. A book that falls apart that soon is certainly "not fit for purpose" and at the very least the retailer you purchased it from is obligated to organise a replacement (always try Mongoose first as its much faster - they would only have to ship a copy to the store and you'd have to go collect it, better to just have it direct to your own mailbox)

Secondly, it sounds more like a one-off error made at the printers to me (last off the line on a Friday afternoon or something and nobody bothered refilling some machine or other to just print an extra half-dozen copies.. heck I don't know how printing presses work but I'm sure someone has to do something regularly to stop them producing faulty books :) ) so I wouldn't worry about it affecting other products - Mongoose are usually very good at identifying this straight away if it affects every single copy they have (after all, it would be the same on their own copies) and pulping the lot before they go to sale.

All that said, I'm off to check my own unopened copy now...

Thanks for your answer, first of all :)

mthomason said:
Firstly, if it fell apart pretty much the first time you opened it I'd email sales@mongoosepublishing.com - they'll hopefully offer to replace it for you.

I have bought the box nearly four months ago (shipping date was 7.4.06), but have only looked at the contents every now and then, as I had no D&D group ready and a lot of stuff going on in real life.
But since the date of purchase quite some time has passed.
I don't know if the guys at mongoose would see it as "opening it the first time", if you know what I mean.

mthomason said:
A book that falls apart that soon is certainly "not fit for purpose" and at the very least the retailer you purchased it from is obligated to organise a replacement (always try Mongoose first as its much faster - they would only have to ship a copy to the store and you'd have to go collect it, better to just have it direct to your own mailbox)

Another problem is that I bought that thing at a german online shop. I have no idea how they would react to a complaint. But I should probably check it out if the MP option fails.

mthomason said:
All that said, I'm off to check my own unopened copy now...

How does your own copy hold up? As far as I could see the other two books in my books seem to have been bound fine. perhaps it's the small number of pages that makes it harder to have a good hold. Don't know...

But as you have said: So far I have been very pleased with the product qualitiy of all my other mongoose published things...

Again thank you.

Cut said:
I have bought the box nearly four months ago (shipping date was 7.4.06), but have only looked at the contents every now and then, as I had no D&D group ready and a lot of stuff going on in real life.
But since the date of purchase quite some time has passed.
I don't know if the guys at mongoose would see it as "opening it the first time", if you know what I mean.

It's worth emailing. The worst they can say is "sorry, we can't do anything for you" :)

Cut said:
Another problem is that I bought that thing at a german online shop. I have no idea how they would react to a complaint. But I should probably check it out if the MP option fails.

I know that under UK Consumer Law the Sales of Goods Act states that faulty goods have to be repaired or replaced by the retailer for up to six years after purchase. For books, I think the condition could be judged visually to determine whether it has fallen apart through use or through faulty worksmanship - if the pages have fallen out with no other visible signs of wear (dog ended pages, scuffed cover) then I think it's a replacement job - this is backed up by the UK Small Claims court if the retailer refuses. Unfortunately I know nothing of German law but it's worth checking government websites for the equivalent law over there.

Cut said:
How does your own copy hold up?

I can't see any defects flicking through. Hopefully yours really was just the bad one off the line that day as opposed to a widespread manufacturing problem. Fingers crossed that Mongoose will replace it for you (they're usually very good about such things)

mthomason said:
I know that under UK Consumer Law the Sales of Goods Act states that faulty goods have to be repaired or replaced by the retailer for up to six years after purchase. For books, I think the condition could be judged visually to determine whether it has fallen apart through use or through faulty worksmanship - if the pages have fallen out with no other visible signs of wear (dog ended pages, scuffed cover) then I think it's a replacement job - this is backed up by the UK Small Claims court if the retailer refuses. Unfortunately I know nothing of German law but it's worth checking government websites for the equivalent law over there.

UK law is much harsher than German law. In germany we have the rule, that if a bought item shows a defect within the first 6 months (not years, mind you *g*) it's suspected that it has had that defect since production and the producer (or the one that sold it) has to replace it or at least has to make amends. I actually study german law :)

My books look good. I take great pride in the good condition of my stuff and always claim, I could sell most of my items as mint or nearly new at sites like ebay or so.

Problem with these guarantee laws is, that items that are affected in their condition by normal usage (like the tyres of your car for example) are not covered. But IMO a book should hold up to reading it :)

Most of the time, these things will get replaced or repaired by the company that produced them, not because the have to due to a law, but to make their costumer happy.

I'm not sure if books would fall under this. But you're right of course, writing a friendly e-mail would do the trick, if they say no at mongoose I can always sue the german retailer :)

Edit: Just realized that you're a retailer yourself, so I have to point out that I wouldn't sue anyone about something like this :)
Anyhow: How much do you charge for orderes shipping to germany :lol:

Cut said:

Hehe

PMing as I'd hate to get yelled at by a mod for using this board for my own sales - even though it's their stuff I'm selling for them ;)

mthomason said:
Cut said:

Hehe

PMing as I'd hate to get yelled at by a mod for using this board for my own sales - even though it's their stuff I'm selling for them ;)

Noted!
I can understand completly 8)

yeah, I'm looking to get this as well. I hope there are some encounter-scale maps for B5 - the Zocalo, maybe some random corridors...

Chern

As it is only some 2 weeks 'til the box comes out, are there any chances of a preview of any kind? I think that this box has the potential to become one of THE RPG products ever (at least in my private ranking of items in my shelf :lol: )

Back