Graaskal or Graskaal?

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
In the process of writing up the index for RoK, I noticed that a place was given two different spellings:

Graskaal, p. 26
Graaskal, p. 49

Which is the correct orthography?

luckily you didn't find a spelling with Grahskal or Graskahl or else it would have added a lot complexity (not even considering if there is one more a somewhere).

Thanks, Strom.
I will have to wait until Mr. Darlage weighs in on this matter.
It's not a big deal, but I am a perfectionist and these little idiosyncracies bug me to no limit.

Yogah of Yag said:
In the process of writing up the index for RoK, I noticed that a place was given two different spellings:

Graskaal, p. 26
Graaskal, p. 49

Let's ask the audience... by googling...

- Graskaal - 12 hits
- Graaskal - 153 hits

Or you could phone a friend...

- Thulsa’s Hyborian Age Campaign Site says "Graaskal" http://hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/brythunia.htm.

Gr.,
Ant

Ant said:
Yogah of Yag said:

Graskaal, p. 26
Graaskal, p. 49

Let's ask the audience... by googling...

- Graskaal - 12 hits
- Graaskal - 153 hits

Or you could phone a friend...

- Thulsa’s Hyborian Age Campaign Site says "Graaskal" http://hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/brythunia.htm.

Gr.,
Ant
Uhm, what about the 50:50?

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol:
So, by your logic, if Google has 1 million hits that the earth is flat, and 500 thousand that it is round...
well, you get my point.

It's obviously just a typo in RoK, but I need to find out what the BIG, BOOMING VOICE FROM THE SUMMIT OF BEN MORGH (i.e. Mr. Darlage) thinks.

Yogah of Yag said:
... So, by your logic, if Google has 1 million hits that the earth is flat, and 500 thousand that it is round...
well, you get my point.
Yes!

But Google would find that ratio of answers only if the earth was flat. The internet as a whole represents "the truth" fairly well...

Cheers,
Ant

Make that "perceived" truth as a whole. Going to academic sites, such as OED, are not questioned for the site's authenticity (usually), whereas the millions of blogs out there are some person spouting whatever comes to mind (Unless we consider Dilbert.com, because of course Scott Adams always writes the truth and only the truth without error or omission). Merely counting hits ain't the be-all and end all, but anyways the point is that a more accepted spelling is more likely to be found on the internet than a misspelling.

Okay, you get the point. Basically what Yogah was inferring.

Yogah of Yag said:
Thanks, Strom.
I will have to wait until Mr. Darlage weighs in on this matter.
It's not a big deal, but I am a perfectionist and these little idiosyncracies bug me to no limit.

Absolutely. It is great that the writers of these Conan adventures/supplements are active on this site to provide answers to all of our questions. Very cool too!

Bregales said:
Make that "perceived" truth as a whole. Going to academic sites, such as OED, are not questioned for the site's authenticity (usually), whereas the millions of blogs out there are some person spouting whatever comes to mind...
I think the internet is akin to the "jellybean effect": recent mathematics have shown that a large number of inexpert decisions is actually more likely to reach the right decision in aggregate than a small number of expert ones.

Food for thought!

Ciao,
Ant

Yogah of Yag said:

Graskaal, p. 26
Graaskal, p. 49

Technically, Graaskal is correct; however the Brythunians (being Brythunian) insist on it being spelled Graskaal.

Thanks, Mr. Darlage.

Aaarrgh!

You know, illiteracy is starting to look inviting!

"You say Graaskal, I say Graskaal...
Let's call the whole thing off!"

VincentDarlage said:
... Technically, Graaskal is correct; however the Brythunians (being Brythunian) insist on it being spelled Graskaal.
OK: I didn't expect that answer!

But, then, see this thread...

Cordialement,
Ant

Back