Got something I'd like your opinion on...

Hopeless

Mongoose
Apologies on the length but I've been trying to fine tune my campaign and I figured getting some details sorted now would make better sense than waiting for the week or two before i run the next session.
Now below is some details I'm working on, its not as yet final just basic details to work off later (mostly because I've been using Gurps Space to detail each system and I don't have either Fulacin or Kinorb on hand to make sure I've not made a mistake...) but I wanted to know your thoughts on this, is there something i should be keeping an eye on? have i missed something or am I going too far at this stage?
Well thanks in advance hope my spelling isn't too awful!

So renamed the Rhylanor Sub-sector as Sector Delta-Alpha as an obvious means of the Empire changing things since they assumed control renaming sectors to serve their purposes but I have kept their original name so there is some reference to what theyw ere before;

So listed below is under a half dozen of systems that are either already introduced in my Traveller game or probably show up at some point the first listing is for 1105 or the classic supplement followed by one for prior to May 1242 before the Extra-Stellar Gates blew up and the last the current listing for 1256 as of my campaign’s start;

Kinorb 0102 C-449433-9 Lo, Ni, G
C-4493-B Lo, G
D-4491-A Lo, G
Mining system actually has a large discrepancy in its population and holds a Gaian Medical Facility one of the largest remaining in the Empire which deals with bio-medical studies and is staffed by women with matriarchal views (as in old style Nurses if you want that clarified competent and strict).

Gileden 0104 C-483103-5 Lo, Lt, G
B-4831-9 Lo, G
C-4832-B Lo, G
Gileden was originally terraformed a few centuries ago and had been intended to be turned into a manufacturing base once Fulacin’s environment had been repaired but recent events have left it barely inhabited a state that might change once the Fulacin Government manages to gain the agreement of the Imperial military in rebuilding the settlements there that were either destroyed or abandoned for reasons yet unknown to the general populace.

Macene 0202 B-000453-E (N) Ht, Ni, As, G
B-0003-E (N) Ht, As, Lo, G
B-0007-E (N) Ht, As, Na, G
The only known surviving Imperial Naval Depot, originally used as a dumping site for the less stellar members of the Imperial forces as well as older and obsolete warships and trading vessels intended to keep the depot supplied.
The destruction of the Extra-Stellar Gates turned Macene into the Empire’s main military base and currently Fulacin is currently considered the Capital for the Solomani Empire.

Fulacin 0203 A-674210-D Ga, Ht, Lo, Capital*
A-6743-D Ga, Ht, Lo
A-6745-D Ag, Ga, Ht, Ni
This systems information is entirely wrong and holds at least 3 gas giants instead of none and the largest is so huge and composed of a very unusual mixture of gases that it grants the satellites orbiting within its extremities a breathable atmosphere.
Its environment was tainted but this has been reversed during the centuries since it was first colonised but still retains a high port and a space base on one of its moons to protect against unnecessary environmental problems.

Porozlo 0305 A-867A74-A Ga, Hi, G
A-867A-A Ga, Hi, G
B-8676-B Ag, Ga, Ni, Ri, G
Formerly an agricultural farming community that became a little too populated mostly due to its proximity to the core systems (ie: those with an extra stellar gate) the subsequent destruction has merely left it very rich and it serves as a popular destination for the noble born or high ranking Imperial military families.
It’s also renowned for its Army and Marine Military Academies albeit given the importance given to the Imperial Navy its only following the Gates destruction that their place in the military hierarchy has improved.

Solomani Empire:
As of 1105 the Empire spread throughout the Spinward Marches, the subsequent fall of the Sol Guard and the secession of the Theocratic consulate left them with control with all bar the formerly known Cronor Sub-sector now known as Sector Double Gamma due to it being the farthest point from the first colonised sub-sector.
In May 1242 the Extra Stellar Gates detonated for reasons as yet unknown removing all of the most technologically advanced systems as well as depleting the Imperial forces to dangerous levels.
The Sword Worlds Sub-Sector was especially hit hard as most of the systems had their own Extra-stellar Gate to insure the Empire could keep them under control, the destruction caused them to rise in rebellion employing mostly obsolete vessels but hidden in such large numbers that they prevailed against the Empire for a time until the Aryan Alliance turned against their former rulers and seceded from the Empire in an apparent attempt to conquer the Spinward Marches.
Their automated warships and clone armies easily secured their own system formerly known as the Darrian Sub-sector but the subsequent battle against all three nations forced them to settle for their current borders and the truce was agreed by all forces as of September 1254.
The Empire now covers half the known limits of the Spinward Marches but the Empire has trouble maintaining their control with their depleted forces whilst their closest adversary the Sword Worlds are seemingly content with securing their new dominion whilst little or no word has been received from the Theocratic Consulate whose capital was one of the systems destroyed by the Extra-Stellar Gates explosion.

Remaining Sub-sectors: Name followed by current capital of sector
Sector Gamma Beta (Regina): Alell 0105 (TL12)

Sector Gamma Alpha (Aramis): Heguz 0306 (TL12)

Sector Delta Beta (Lanth): Ylaven 0306 (TL12)

Sector Delta Alpha (Rhylanor): Fulacin 0203 (TL13) Next to a naval depot

Sector Double Beta (Lunion): Spirelle 0307 (TL11) Both have a scout base
Formerly Wardn 0107 after it fell and was retaken during the Sword Worlds uprising the capital moved to Spirelle 0307 and remains there.

Sector Beta Alpha (Mora): Mainz 0510 (TL12) Has a scout base

Sector Alpha Beta (Glisten): Windsor 0305 (TL11)
This system is largely independent at present its loyalty to the Empire is purely out of a political alliance that has been kept because of their proximity to the Sword Worlds border.

Sector Double Alpha (Trin’s Veil): Tenelphi 0610 (TL 11) Has a scout base.
Reputedly the first system colonised by the first humans to reach the Spinward Marches its now largely very backward having lost many of its systems to the Extra-Stellar Gate explosion of 14 years ago.

Hopeless,

Stuff to think about includes ...

Stargates and the outsystem

OK, so you've got a stargate system. Were jump drives used for travel to and from the Outsystem ? If they were, then you'd have faster recovery, as the short-legged Outsystem puddle-jumpers get refitted with extra fuel tanks to go the jump-2 in two short hops.

Trade and Commerce

How heavily were the worlds reliant on the stargates ? Shipping costs in Trav are roughly Cr 250 + Cr 500 per parsec of jump - if a stargate takes that down to a flat Cr 100 (no jump drive or jump fuel needed), then the economic dislocation is going to be pretty big.

The Corps

The 3I background has the Megacorps as being pretty important, but you arent mentioning them. If thats a design choice, thats great ... but having the New States backed by some corps but not others makes sense to me.

IanW said:
Hopeless,
Stuff to think about includes ...

Stargates and the outsystem
OK, so you've got a stargate system. Were jump drives used for travel to and from the Outsystem ? If they were, then you'd have faster recovery, as the short-legged Outsystem puddle-jumpers get refitted with extra fuel tanks to go the jump-2 in two short hops.

Jump drives were before the destruction used for travel and trade between systems that didn't have a Gate and the Empire made it clear that if you wanted a better future it was to either live at or near a Core system under their protection.
Those that didn't were very dependent on jump capable shipping to survive if they were in a system without an inhabitable world or simply for communication beyond their star system.
The Gates didn't just allow instantaneous travel between systems with a Gate they also allowed a communication network second to none and when that went down everyting went literally to hell.
Jump drives were limited in how far they could travel, at present Jump 2 is the best any regular trade ship could hope for, the military have Jump 4 capability but thats if they still have ships with that capability still and what surviving military hardware is unlikely to be state of the art unless you count what was known as the Darrian Sub-sector which is the only part of the Spinward Marches that retains that level of technology.

IanW said:
Trade and Commerce
How heavily were the worlds reliant on the stargates ? Shipping costs in Trav are roughly Cr 250 + Cr 500 per parsec of jump - if a stargate takes that down to a flat Cr 100 (no jump drive or jump fuel needed), then the economic dislocation is going to be pretty big.

Very, the Empire made them that important because they used to Gates to move as much of their forces as they needed to, to keep control but it also served as a communiation network and supplies could be moves just as fast throughout the network so the only time lag was really getting those supplies to the core systems.
Once destroyed this irreparably damaged any system without an inhabitable world, any surviving shipping became vastly more important once the destruction of the Gates was confirmed.
Back then it took months before information filtered back to those systems that didn't have a Gate now every ship travelling between systems is often used to carry and deliver news in addition to any trade and as a result the costs of refuelling is often bargained for such news reports so that the systems can keep abreast of what is going on in the other systems.

IanW said:
The Corps
The 3I background has the Megacorps as being pretty important, but you arent mentioning them. If thats a design choice, thats great ... but having the New States backed by some corps but not others makes sense to me.

Most of the megacorps were destroyed in the same cayaclysm as the Extra Stellar Gate network, what remains have a larger control over those systems they were based within such as Windsor and retain their links to the Imperial Navy.
Their relationship is based on mutual benefit since one can't survive without the other at this stage.

Hopeless said:
Jump drives were limited in how far they could travel, at present Jump 2 is the best any regular trade ship could hope for

Well, the Ziru Sirkaa did fine with jump-2 - if you replace most of the cargo hold with fuel tankage, a jump-2 far trader can do deep-space jumps, crosssing a jump-6 void in three easy legs.

The other thing to think about is smuggling. Stargates are the obvious tariff points, right ? So a smuggling group is more than likely to be moving stuff by jump freighter ... and so once stuff goes to hell in a handbasket, then they are positioned to be the ones holding the basket.

IanW said:
Hopeless said:
Jump drives were limited in how far they could travel, at present Jump 2 is the best any regular trade ship could hope for

Well, the Ziru Sirkaa did fine with jump-2 - if you replace most of the cargo hold with fuel tankage, a jump-2 far trader can do deep-space jumps, crosssing a jump-6 void in three easy legs.

The other thing to think about is smuggling. Stargates are the obvious tariff points, right ? So a smuggling group is more than likely to be moving stuff by jump freighter ... and so once stuff goes to hell in a handbasket, then they are positioned to be the ones holding the basket.

Definitely will have to look into that since about the only part of my original campaign plots that hasn't been altered is the revelation that the Empire isn't all it appears and that smuggling group would be far more widespread than I even considered!
Thanks for the heads up!

Back