Google Sheets Ship Designer

Technetium 98

Banded Mongoose
THIS THREAD IS NOW DEFUNCT. I'm leaving this up in case anyone finds it, but otherwise please post any questions or bug reports here.

Last edited:
This is great. I've tried to do this myself on more than one occasion for more than one ruleset. Your layout and design are very intuitive. Q1. Should cell L306 add the emergency power and the power? Q2. I don't see a sum of total power required for all systems? I find it helpful.

I'm working through some designs and I'll let know of anything else I observe.
Thank

On the turrets, each additional turret looks at the # in the first turret quantity field (Main!G$115). Needs to be changed to 119, 123, etc. in Data!K97, Data!K101, etc. That also goes for the following 2 fields in the Data!K column. They are all pointing to Main!G115.

Last edited:
On the turrets, each additional turret looks at the # in the first turret quantity field (Main!G$115). Needs to be changed to 119, 123, etc. in Data!K97, Data!K101, etc. That also goes for the following 2 fields in the Data!K column. They are all pointing to Main!G115.
With respect, you sure you got the most recent copy of the sheet? I fixed that one a couple days ago.

This is great. I've tried to do this myself on more than one occasion for more than one ruleset. Your layout and design are very intuitive. Q1. Should cell L306 add the emergency power and the power? Q2. I don't see a sum of total power required for all systems? I find it helpful.

I'm working through some designs and I'll let know of anything else I observe.
Thank
1. No, it should not. I have no idea why I made it do that in the first place. Fixed.
2. Sure, I can patch that in.

Hello and Thank You again - Here's a few more wish list items and observations.
Can you add extra rows for ammunition? I like to stock my ships with a variety of cheap missiles and expensive missiles. Likewise with different sand caster loads, having each type on board is helpful.
Row 295 - The Fuel Bladder tonnage is being deducted from the total tons, should it be part of the cargo amount (reduce cargo not available tons) - or maybe I don't understand how rows 295-297 work.
On the Subcraft Data Table [DATA H662:L680] columns H and L are different, so you can't select Heavy Fighter, Military Gig or Troop Transport from the drop down menu. To use other craft, I assume I can overwrite some of the data with my own choices, or expand the table size.
When I was working on my own sheet, I didn't list any standard craft, I had an input field for [dTons], [craft type], [Space] [Cost] and [Quantity]: ie. 15 [dT]; [fighter]; [carried craft (docking space)]; [10,480,000 (Cr)]; [10]. That allowed me to switch around the craft and allocate 150 tons to 10x dT15 fighters or 3x 50dT fuel shuttles. Using a docking space, only the cost changes.

Last edited:
Hello and Thank You again - Here's a few more wish list items and observations.
Can you add extra rows for ammunition? I like to stock my ships with a variety of cheap missiles and expensive missiles. Likewise with different sand caster loads, having each type on board is helpful.
Row 295 - The Fuel Bladder tonnage is being deducted from the total tons, should it be part of the cargo amount (reduce cargo not available tons) - or maybe I don't understand how rows 295-297 work.
On the Subcraft Data Table [DATA H662:L680] columns H and L are different, so you can't select Heavy Fighter, Military Gig or Troop Transport from the drop down menu. To use other craft, I assume I can overwrite some of the data with my own choices, or expand the table size.
When I was working on my own sheet, I didn't list any standard craft, I had an input field for [dTons], [craft type], [Space] [Cost] and [Quantity]: ie. 15 [dT]; [fighter]; [carried craft (docking space)]; [10,480,000 (Cr)]; [10]. That allowed me to switch around the craft and allocate 150 tons to 10x dT15 fighters or 3x 50dT fuel shuttles. Using a docking space, only the cost changes.
  1. I might not, I'm afraid. The drop-down ammunition menu is already causing issues for other users, and it's taking a lot of space on the back-end. There's only 11 lines left for whatever I want to add in future, I might strip out picking alternate ammunition types altogether and leave the choice of what missiles/torpedoes/sandcasters are actually stocked to whoever's using the ship.

2. This is actually something I'm unsure about, I asked our dearest PaltrySum but never got an answer. I'm running under the assumption that a fuel bladder taking up 1% of the space it does when full is also left unfilled when it's full. So a 100t fuel bladder (1t when empty) needs 100t of cargo to store 100t of fuel, not 99t of cargo. I could be swayed on that, though. As for remaining tonnage and cargo space... In this spreadsheet, at least, they're identical. The end result is the same, whether you're reducing cargo or remaining tonnage.

3. The H column is the full list of subcraft, and L is the subcraft that are available at the given TL. The Heavy Fighter, Military Gig, and Troop Transport are all above the TL 12 default, which is what I assume you selected, so you can't pick them. The table's set up to allow future entries easy enough, you just got to fill out your own entry, leaving the Range column alone. As for changing how subcraft are inputted... Eh. I like how this is set up, personally, though I admit it's not the most intuitive thing in the world. Maybe I should include some notes about the more obscure functions. And add a 'Drive Tonnage' entry, as-is the calculator massively overestimates the number of engineers you need on a carrier.

2. This is actually something I'm unsure about, I asked our dearest PaltrySum but never got an answer. I'm running under the assumption that a fuel bladder taking up 1% of the space it does when full is also left unfilled when it's full. So a 100t fuel bladder (1t when empty) needs 100t of cargo to store 100t of fuel, not 99t of cargo. I could be swayed on that, though. As for remaining tonnage and cargo space... In this spreadsheet, at least, they're identical. The end result is the same, whether you're reducing cargo or remaining tonnage.
There is no other logical way to interpret the fuel bladder. When collapsed, the folded bladder takes up more space due to imperfect folding, like when you try to fit a tarp back in its package, but when full, it's a high tech waterbed mattress and its volume when compared with the fuel inside it is negligible. It doesn't take up that much room when empty because the walls are that thick, but because it's a 100 Dton balloon.

... Actually, a thought occurs; that doesn't matter. It just gives the tonnage it uses when empty; it doesn't account for the remaining cargo space. So, in answer to the original question, it doesn't reduce remaining cargo because it's not the tonnage it uses when full, it's the tonnage it uses when empty. Maybe I'll include a toggle so you can change that.

That's what I did in my Cargo Tab. You can switch from full to empty, and it displays how much cargo room it needs, but doesn't subtract from the rated cargo space when it does it.

Hello again - I populated the fields in red and it opened up the technology features (the fields were blank). Without updating these I was unable to utilize the advanced technology features. I see a lot of this column is blank - but it looks like the values are needed to add the functionality?

Keep up the good work

1671767102780.png

Not in theory. The Advanced and up options are only available at higher TLs than the component first appears at - refer to the TL Differential bit in the table. It should return the list of what you can fit at the selected TL at the top of the sheet; what components did you install? What was the TL set to?

... Also, it might break a bit now that you've written those in; it won't expand to overwrite data. I'd advise deleting them, assuming I haven't fucked this up on my end.

Edit: And I just noticed your profile picture. JPR already answered your question, so this was pointless. Joyous day!

Last edited:
... Also, it might break a bit now that you've written those in; it won't expand to overwrite data. I'd advise deleting them, assuming I haven't fucked this up on my end.

Edit: And I just noticed your profile picture. JPR already answered your question, so this was pointless. Joyous day!
Apologies, I meant to drop over here and let you know that I had been educated. The more I look at your worksheet, the more impressed I am. I'll stick to posting on discord since there seems to be more people there to answer my questions.

Back