DEX 13
SIZ 15
INT 12
POW 9
CHA 12

Hit Points: 6 each leg, 7 abdomen, 8 chest, 5 each arm, 6 head
Damage Modifier +1D2
Combat Actions: 3

Skills to be worked out later (Based on his background).

Burly Bob is a day laborer in a large town. with his impressive musculature, he hires himself out fro building construction, dock work, and any other legal jobs where a strong abck and willinginess to work hard are useful. Although this won't mkae him rich, it's not a bad life and he's been getting better and better-paying jobs over the years.

Burly Bob is a permanent resident of the Crunchy Frog, an inn at the town that caters to travelers. Each night after work he will return there, give the innkeeper some of his wages for the day, and have a good meal and a few tankards of good ale before going to bed. Any traveling adventurer who looks tough will usually find himself challenged to an arm-wrestling match against the threatening-looking Burly Bob, who is highly skilled at the sport and wins more often than he loses. However, he generally does both with good grace. Bob is also a sort of extra bouncer for the Crunchy Frog, expelling unruly patrons or taking them to their rooms (usually by picking up and carrying the offender).

Although Bob is big, he's not dumb. he's good company, appreciates a good story, joke or song (one of the reasons he spends so much time at an inn frequented by travelers is so he can hear their stories) and can give good advice, if asked, about what parets of town poses the greatest risks and what precuations are most effective against them. The owner of the Crunchy Frog has a young daughter who he would very much like to see married to Bob, but the girl is a bit wild and (so far) only sees him as a family friend. Bob doesn't talk about rumors about his past, including one that states that he came to town to escape justice after the one time he has ever truly lost his temper cost a man his life.

iamtim said:
Hey, Michael...

Michael Hopcroft said:
Damage Modifier +1D2

Shouldn't that be +1d4? STR + SIZ is 34, yes?

All right. I wonder whether the Hit Points need to be corrected as well.

Much of my writeup is based around a simple point: RQ PCs can get into a lot of trouble assuming hostility where none is there. My version of Burly Bob looks like a bully, but is in reality the complete opposite. My goal is to have a character who, when thre PCs return from theri adventurs, will want to hear their stories and show them some due respect. he should also cheallgence the asumption that "big=dumb" despitre hiw low POW (which reflects a lack of interest in magic), and also show that in the RQ qorld there are people who are quite satisified simply earning an honest living.

Michael Hopcroft said:
All right. I wonder whether the Hit Points need to be corrected as well.

Nope he just caucht the 25-30 bracket for CON+SIZ. One more point of either and he kicks everything up a point. I guess Bob should train his con up. :D

Michael Hopcroft said:
Much of my writeup is based around a simple point: RQ PCs can get into a lot of trouble assuming hostility where none is there. My version of Burly Bob looks like a bully, but is in reality the complete opposite. My goal is to have a character who, when thre PCs return from theri adventurs, will want to hear their stories and show them some due respect. he should also cheallgence the asumption that "big=dumb" despitre hiw low POW (which reflects a lack of interest in magic), and also show that in the RQ qorld there are people who are quite satisified simply earning an honest living.

He reminds of two different NPCS I have ran. THe first was "Old Burt", a retired warrior who had taken up resitence at the village inn. He was a bit old (60ish I think), and his stats weren't what they used to be (his STR had dropped from something like a 15 to a 9 or so), but he was still the best fighter in town. He was alos the only local with a suit of (metal) armor and the defacto leader of the militia. Rumour had it that he had a chest full of gold from previous adventures up in his room.

Burt ended up being the groups best contact in the village. He was known and respected by everyone, so he could expedite some things for the group. In addtion, he was the one most sympathetic to the PC's problems, having been an adventurer himself. He also gave someof the best advice, and could help to bring down a character a peg or two when they were feeling cocky. Nothing shuts up the guy who has hit 80% fater than a demo from the guy at 150%. USeful in case any of the PCs got delusions of godhood and tried pushing the townsfolk around.

THe second character was a shopkeeper. Unbeknownst to anyone the the top shelf of hiscounter at his store had no front panel and was just a framework, with a cloth drapped over it. On the sheft he kept a cocked heavy crossbow. If it looked like trouble he'd slip the quarrelinto the crossbow.
Once, an angry PC drew his sword and grabbed the shop keeper. Once.

Back