GM's Screen - 24 pages?

Arkobla Conn

Mongoose
The description says the format is 24 pages. I expected a mini adventure, some additional flavor rules, something in a small book bound with the screen. I like the screen and the map, but expected more with this description....

24 pages is a reasonable amount of additional material - I recall the days when a screen could be a lot less than that!

The PARANOIA screen also has a 24-page Mission Blender booklet, which provides a whole system for generating random mission and encounters, as well as more examples of the much loved Alpha Complex form.

An adventure is generally not a great deal longer (8-pages, of which some will be additional pages like contents and contributors) and only cost a little less - and you don't get the convenience of a big, informative screen.

I think the screens offered are good value, all being considered.

Costin-U-MOR-6 said:
24 pages is a reasonable amount of additional material

True, but the point is (for those who have no purchased the screen) is that there are no pages not 24 like the description states. You get a 4 panel screen and a very nice folded map. But there are not "24 pages" of anything.

Ahhhhh... that wasn't clear from the original post. I do apologize. In that case... I'd be weeping softly. As nice as a map may be, you're right - there should be more with a screen. I mean, Dragon and Dungeon magazines give away a nice map virtually every third issue, or something similar. Yes, you're paying for the magazine... but, that's articles or adventures, plus a map, for the price of this screen.

Um...Mongoose did offer to trade out old rule books for new for a huge cost break...they can;t give us everything for free and the Atlantean edition is probably why there's less in the GM screen pack then intended.

I remember the days when (A) there was no screen, (B) it was just a mere tri-fold and (C) it cost roughly $5 compared to a $10 adventure module.

<sigh>

...the old days...

Thanks for clarifying MC

I just like to get what's promised. Had they said it's just a screen and a map, I may or may not have made the purchase, but at least I'd know. They ought to change the description on the website.

Is it still $15???

I'm likeing the sound of the screen less and less...

...but'll probably still get it... :roll:

BullBear said:
Is it still $15???

I'm likeing the sound of the screen less and less...

...but'll probably still get it... :roll:

I think I paid $30 for screen and AE with my 1st printing "coupon" :). I'm not really sure to tell the truth. I was too excited at the time. I was both giddy from finally getting the AE and disappointed at not getting Pirate Isles. :(

I the bright side, I stopped by my FLGS last night and picked up their LAST copy of Pirate Isles!

BullBear said:
MightyCthulhu,
How'd you get both AE and the screen with the coupon? Was it through SoC? They only offered me AE.

I cut the corner of my 1st edition. Like I said I'm not sure exactly what I paid. I probably paid $35 for both. That would make sense.

Matt,

Good Job

I'm not nearly as dismayed about what I got as to what was promised. Now, at least, others will get what's described.

Thanks!

Yeah, double thanks.

Now, when I do acquire a copy I have no one to blame but myself for being disappointed due to misconceptions.

Costin-U-MOR-6 said:
Ahhhhh... that wasn't clear from the original post. I do apologize. In that case... I'd be weeping softly. As nice as a map may be, you're right - there should be more with a screen. I mean, Dragon and Dungeon magazines give away a nice map virtually every third issue, or something similar. Yes, you're paying for the magazine... but, that's articles or adventures, plus a map, for the price of this screen.

You also get a lot of free white space in Dragon these days. Want us to do that too? :wink:

Arkobla Conn said:
Matt,

Good Job

I'm not nearly as dismayed about what I got as to what was promised. Now, at least, others will get what's described.

Thanks!

In essence what basically happened is that we got the opportunity to produce the first ever commercial poster map of Hyboria, but it didn't come cheap. We asked what would we want. Another 24 pages of text which yoiu'll get in due course anyway or a fantastic map. For me this was a no brainer. the text on the site simply got left as residual. Matt's been kind of busy developing wargames 18 hours a day for about two months solid, so I don't think anybody should be too hard on him!

It' not "white space" as it's always filled up with useless garbage meant to be interesting gaming advice/resources ...

... and it certainly ain't free!!! :shock:

Back