Gem Price List

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
Straight from the old TSR Conan RPG from 1985, here are gem prices, which should make every GM's treasure-adjudicating job easier.

JEWEL TABLE
Cost/Jewel
5 cp Agate
1 sp Garnet
1 sp Mother-of-Pearl
2 sp Quartz
3 sp Amber
4 sp Chalcedony
5 sp Coral
5 sp Jet
7 sp Lapis Lazuli
7 sp Malachite
8 sp Onyx
1 gl Turquoise
2 gl Aquamarine
10 gl Pearl
15 gl Opal
30 gl Sapphire
30 gl Topaz
50 gl Amethyst
75 gl Jade
100 gl Ruby
200 gl Emerald
300 gl Diamond

cp = copper pieces; 10 coppers = 1 sp
sp = silver pieces; 10 silvers = 1 gl
gl = golden lunas; each luna is worth 10 sp

Note: The values of different gems and precious
stones may vary depending on the side of the stone,
the quality of the cut, and the clarity of the stone.

Thanks Iron Chef. I have that old boxed set sitting here on my desk. I plan to go through it and use whatever I can from it. That list is a gem. :lol:

Does anyone know what the relative value of gold to silver was in (any parts of) the ancient world? I'm fairly sure much more than 10:1, the ratio D&D took for number-crunching ease.

In the mid to late 5th century in Roman territory, 18 pounds of Silver were equal to 1 pound of gold, but it was a bit better in the early 5th century, I believe.

So, a 1:10 ratio is not out of the question by any means.

I hereby award you the Medal of Mongoose Honor!
medievalsmile.gif

Faraer said:
Does anyone know what the relative value of gold to silver was in (any parts of) the ancient world? I'm fairly sure much more than 10:1, the ratio D&D took for number-crunching ease.

In ancient Greece before contact with Persia it was around 20:1 AIR. After lots of Persian gold started coming into Greece at the end of 4th century BC it fell to around 10:1. I think in western Europe in the middle ages it was usually around 20:1 or so, falling with the Spanish conquest of central Americas in 16th century.

S'mon said:
Faraer said:

In ancient Greece before contact with Persia it was around 20:1 AIR. After lots of Persian gold started coming into Greece at the end of 4th century BC it fell to around 10:1. I think in western Europe in the middle ages it was usually around 20:1 or so, falling with the Spanish conquest of central Americas in 16th century.

It also varied depending on how close a town was to a gold mine. The closer, the less gold was worth. A nasty surprise in other game systems (D&D) is having players arrive at a city with a sack full of gold and find out it is worth less there because the city has its own gold mine...

Back