Gaim warheads

These weapons cause multiple criticals that are randomly distributed as normal, however there is no damage value given for them, and without that the criticals can't be determined. Am I missing something?

I used two versions in the playtesting, but apparently neither made it to the document. :oops: Sorry about that.

Either:

For each critical hit roll 1d6 to determine the total amount of damage (1=Light, 2=Moderate, etc). 6 indicates total location destruction.

or

For each critical hit assume light damage and allow criticals to accumulate. So one critical moves the location from none to light, a second from light to moderate, etc.

The first way will core ships fairly rapidly. The second simulates the ship taking considerable damabe but being able to limp away.

My players liked both and apparently I didn't make a call as to which fit better. So...:) Now you get both. Destroy at will.

Shannon
Mongoose
Current Status: Checking documents

Excuse the dumb question here but I'm guessing this is a question on stuff from the League of Non-Aligned Worlds book (Which I don't have yet but will soon)?

LBH

skalvar said:
I used two versions in the playtesting, but apparently neither made it to the document. :oops: Sorry about that.

Either:

For each critical hit roll 1d6 to determine the total amount of damage (1=Light, 2=Moderate, etc). 6 indicates total location destruction.

or

For each critical hit assume light damage and allow criticals to accumulate. So one critical moves the location from none to light, a second from light to moderate, etc.

The first way will core ships fairly rapidly. The second simulates the ship taking considerable damabe but being able to limp away.

My players liked both and apparently I didn't make a call as to which fit better. So...:) Now you get both. Destroy at will.

Shannon
Mongoose
Current Status: Checking documents

For some reason the first technique seems WAY too powerful for a missile, but I haven't seen the rules yet so I don't know the cost of such a weapon. From the sound of weapon itself though, I'd go with the Light damage that stacks. Basically, a ship neutering missile. I know a few Jewish Moyles (sp?) that would get a kick out of that one.

In case your wondering, the Moyle (however you spell it) is the guy that performs the circumcisions.

Dag'Nabbit said:
For some reason the first technique seems WAY too powerful for a missile, but I haven't seen the rules yet so I don't know the cost of such a weapon.

Erm, these are BIG nuclear warheads (500 KT comes to mind...) Two were enough to sort out Z'ha'dum. The should take most younger race vessels down and severly piss off the Shadows and Vorlons...

frobisher said:
Dag'Nabbit said:
For some reason the first technique seems WAY too powerful for a missile, but I haven't seen the rules yet so I don't know the cost of such a weapon.

Erm, these are BIG nuclear warheads (500 KT comes to mind...) Two were enough to sort out Z'ha'dum. The should take most younger race vessels down and severly piss off the Shadows and Vorlons...

Pretty much. The RPG writer in me likes the first method....you can use the warheads to take out Shadows and at the very least modestly annoy non-stated Vorlon vessels. However, some of my players like wargames and they thought the second method provided a more 'fair and balanced encounter'. As previously stated, I think that's a spurious argument when it comes to RPGs, but I know enough players also enjoy wargames to give it some weight.

Shannon
Mongoose
Current Status: Don't ask

I believe that G'Kar stated that the explosive yield of the weapons was, in Earth terms, 5 or 600 MEGATONS. That would make them 10 times as powerful as anything ever conceived on Earth in the real world. You set that sucker off anywhere near a ship, you'll just vaporize it. Detonated on a planetary surface, it will probably destroy everything within a radius of about 50 miles.

For compaison, the A-Bomb dropped on Japan was about 15Ktons and destroyed all the structures for about 1.5 miles around. It would take 40,000 of these to equal the Gaim weapons.

:oops: I didn't realize they were those warheads. I was operating under the assumption that they were ship fired missiles of some type. Well, in that case, yep, send the ship to nothingness. Though one of the reasons that weapons of this nature are so destructive is because they were used inside an atmosphere. Overpressure is a serious b!^*%! Their affect would be minimal compared with that generated on Z'ha'dum, even more so since the exlosion occured underground. The pressure waves would have done as much if not more damage than the initial explosion.

Still, 5-600 Mtons would be quite sufficient to vape a ship or three. What is the area of affect for this weapon?

lastbesthope said:
Excuse the dumb question here but I'm guessing this is a question on stuff from the League of Non-Aligned Worlds book (Which I don't have yet but will soon)?

LBH

I second the dumb question :)

Mike

qstor said:
lastbesthope said:

LBH

Mike

No Surrender, No Retreat - associated with the episode 'Into the Fire'.

Shannon
Mongoose
Current Status: Don't ask. You don't want to know.

skalvar said:
qstor said:
lastbesthope said:

LBH

Mike

No Surrender, No Retreat - associated with the episode 'Into the Fire'.

Shannon
Mongoose
Current Status: Don't ask. You don't want to know.

Cheers Shannon, my FLGS has that on order for me (allegedly)

LBH

Dag'Nabbit said:
:oops: I didn't realize they were those warheads. I was operating under the assumption that they were ship fired missiles of some type. Well, in that case, yep, send the ship to nothingness. Though one of the reasons that weapons of this nature are so destructive is because they were used inside an atmosphere. Overpressure is a serious b!^*%! Their affect would be minimal compared with that generated on Z'ha'dum, even more so since the exlosion occured underground. The pressure waves would have done as much if not more damage than the initial explosion.

Still, 5-600 Mtons would be quite sufficient to vape a ship or three. What is the area of affect for this weapon?

The Fireball (the area where everything is vaporized) on a 1 Mton device is .8 Km in real life. The Fireball on a 100 Mton device is 1.6 Km, so a 500 Mton device would have a Fireball of about 2 Km. Guarnteed game over without some kind of Hyperspace Shielding (such as what the Shadows can employ) where they are actually in Hyperspace looking at normal space.

As you said about being in an Atmosphere being more effective because of the overpressure is true. Beyond those distances, I am not sure what would happen to a ship that is hardened for battle. An unshielded space station...that is a different matter.

JMS never went into what effects those type of devices have on Hyperspace...so we will never know what would happen to a ship in Hyperspace at the same normal space intersection would experience.

Back