[for AUGUST HAHN] Some oversights and errors in core book

Ikar-tas-Kai

Mongoose
Hello,

I am at the moment proofreading the core book and I noticed some oversights and errors. I post them here for the benefit of all—and maybe an updated second edition :)

1. The History section of Anari, in the Gazeteer, tells of two famillies who did not agree wth Vassagonian politics. One of these two tribes (the Children of Anar) would go through the Gap of Chah and eventually settle Anari. But what happened to the other familly?
  2. Later on, still about Anari, it is said that Anari doesn't other any particular creature. You forgot Cave Leekhon and Anarian Sky-snake (very nice artwork, by the way)
  3. Bor: Only a handful of humans remains native to Drodarin; virtually every Bor citizen is a dwarf There are several problem there. For first, virtually means absolutely all things considered, with no exception. So there cannot be human natives. Or else, they live there but do not have citizenship… (corrected in a further message) The second problem is that, AFAIK, Drodarin is an ancient alliance, not a country. So, speaking of humans from Drodarin is meaningless. Please someone clarify.
  4. What kind of ore does Delden produce? All of them, just iron?
  5. In the Gazeteer (Dessi) Elder Magi are said to be the source of everything magic in Magnamund. This seems excessive to me, as Shianti and Naar’s minions do not draw their knowledge from the Elder Magi. OK for quasi-magic Secrets of the Gun from the dwarves, as well as BotCS. What about the Druids (Herbalish, Cenerians and Redemptors)?
  6. Eru is said to have no ally. Not even Lencia?
  7. Lourden also produces tobacco from Lourden, as shown on book 9, section 250 (thank you Argantyr)
  8. You forgot that Salony also has Iron ore
  9. Sommerlund also has Silver, Shipbuilding, Iron ore, Gold and Platinum
  10. Last, but not least: Talestria cannot still suffers consequences of the Ogia invasion: it was 1500 years ago! I can not believe that England still suffers from the departure of the Romans… (the punitive expedition against Ogia was in MS 3550). Another more recent expedition may not make sense either, since Ogia is keeping a low-profile.
Voilà. I do not write this just for the sake of “look at which discrepiancies I found” but instead in order to make the whole setting more consistent.

Thank you for all answers.

Thanks for the list - I like to keep my source material accurate so I'll add this to the notes I keep with my copy of the rulebook :)

I can really only fault one of your observations:

Ikar-tas-Kai said:
Bor: Only a handful of humans remains native to Drodarin; virtually every Bor citizen is a dwarf There are several problem there. For first, virtually means absolutely all things considered, with no exception. So there cannot be human natives.

Had August said "Literally every Bor citizen is a dwarf" I'd agree with you on the incorrect usage, but the definition of Virtually is "for the most part; almost wholly; just about" so I'd say the usage was absolutely correct in this case - Virtually("Nearly every") Bor citizen is a dwarf, leaving room in the definition for that very small handful of human natives.

Bon-Al Ironforge said:
there are humans living in bor? man we are slipping...

LOL.

You are forgiven for your lack of dilligence. Besides, isn't it nice to have a minority underclass around to do all the nasty jobs? :)

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the correct meaning of virtually. Everytime I read it, it was with a “all without exception” meaning. So now I know it is not true.

Lone Wolf is good for orthography, we should tell it to junior high school teachers ;-)

Argantyr: thank you!

I read it that a few allies were allowed to stay lets say old noble houses now exiled from home and mercs whos intelligence work for the good side makes them targets for both sides 8) or human inventors creating big and better bangs for RD

Back