Fifth Frontier War

Geir

Emperor Mongoose
So, the last pages of Skandersvik (okay, to me, a ‘vik’ is an inlet or otherwise body of water partially surrounded by land, but that’s another issue) foreshadow the Fifth Frontier War a bit.

I dug out the box a couple of weekends ago. I played half of one game back in about ’82 – I can still see the erased pencil marks on the board and fleet sheets. But reading the rules, they aren’t bad. What I had completely forgotten is that the map only covers about half the Spinward Marches – and a tiny bit of Gvurrdon. A lot of what would be interesting would be the Sword World Fronts not covered, including the Darrian Front.

We seem to be perpetually stuck in 1105, and Vanguard was a failed Kickstarter. So what’s the plan for the Fifth Frontier War? I’d love to see another version of the game, but there’s the history of it already laid out from c 1985, with a pretty much a status-quo-antebellum ending. That would take the fun out of it.

One good thing about the Mongoose Version 1 Zhodani module (there’s more than one good thing about it, to be clear) is that it hints at a Zhodani motivation for the war, or at least the target of Rhylanor. Makes more sense then the ‘80s version of standing at the Fulda Gap waiting on the Soviets (which, if you think about it with forty years of hindsight, doesn’t really make much sense: either they’re better than us and they don’t need to invade, or they’re worse and they’ll fail.)

Okay, so that’s a ramble. Tired of looking at my own and other people’s words. Head hurts. But yeah, Fifth Frontier War. I’m all for it. Let’s go!

Or I might just have to spreadsheet out the map and order of battle and run a solo game just to see… but that takes time. Head. Hurts. Ramble. Sorry.

I still think the whole premise for the Zhodani desire to take Rhylanor is preposterous.

Why not just approach a few dukes and show them the evidence from the core expeditions and show how the only hope for the future of the whole of charioted space is for teh Zhodani to get what they want from Rhylanor.

Failing that why not just get a group of Zhodani PCs to go and access it :)

Well the wave would wipe out the Zhodani first, so a likely Imperial response would be "Thank you for the valuable intelligence, now go collapse into chaos while we figure out how to save ourselves over the course of the next few decades, then maybe our 'peacekeepers' will help you pick up the pieces."

So I can see why the Zhodani would rather strike than expose their weakness.

The question still remains: In what mindset is a peer-conflict (or above) first strike the solution for this. Getting something from a planet might call for direct action, yes, but this sounds much more like special operations and not "full frontal assault".

The FFW Project is due to start very soon. We have been having some long conversations with Mr Miller nthat advance things beyond 1105, answer your Zhodani questions, and reveal the secrets of Rhylanor.

You may have noticed that a few of our more recent books have been prepping you for this. The Fifth Frontier War starts in 2021...

MongooseMatt said:
You may have noticed that a few of our more recent books have been prepping you for this. The Fifth Frontier War starts in 2021...

That's just a Zhodani disinformation campaign, it has already started but they want the Imperials to believe it hasn't as part of their plot to take over their minds.

MongooseMatt said:
The FFW Project is due to start very soon. We have been having some long conversations with Mr Miller nthat advance things beyond 1105, answer your Zhodani questions, and reveal the secrets of Rhylanor.

Very cool!
But will you do a new FFW board game with all of the Spinward Marches and more of Gvurrdon? Not asking for much, am I?

Back