Fast Healing, Arguing Semantics. (OGL Steampunk)

Freedan

Mongoose
If you were to magically enchant someone to have the ability Fast Healing X, what school of magic would it be?

My friend thought it fell under healing, and open to Ecclesiasts only, and thus invocation. His argument was that it was direct healing.

I thought it should be transformation. My argument was that you're basically mutating the subject into having the trait of fast healing x.

It was a short debate, neither of us changed the others opinion. The main reason being that none of us had the book on hand, and didn't have official wording. Which I now have.

Fast Healing
A creature with fast healing has the extraordinary ability to regain hit points at an exceptional rate. Except for what is noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.

At the beginning of each of the creature's turns, it heals a certain number of hit points, defined in its description. Unlike regeneration, fast healing does not allow a creature to regrow or reattach lost body parts. A creature that has taken both non-lethal and lethal damage heals the non-lethal damage first. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, nor does it increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs.

Source is from OGL Steampunk, page 216.

Fast Healing

A creature with the fast healing special quality (extraordinary) regains hit points at an exceptionally fast rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round, as given in the creature's entry (for example, a cave troll has fast healing 8). Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing (see page 146 of the Player's Handbook). Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and it does not allow a creature to regrow lost body parts. Unless otherwise stated, it does not allow lost body parts to be reattached.

A creature that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first.

Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs.
Source: PHB, MM, MM3

Both articles reinforce my opinion that it should be transformation, but it's just my opinion, what does everyone else thing?

Edit
I only just now noticed my UBB codes are broken.
Smilies don't work either. :D :arrow: :idea:

I am with the transformation thought. The subject is being transformed into haveing that healing factor that they did not gain on their own.

Honestly? Necromancy.

I'm a bit far from my books atm, but refer to Masters of the Wild, a guide to Rangers, Barbarians, and Druids, specifically the 'Regenerate X Wounds' spells, all of which, I believe, are Necromancy(Healing) spells. Also check the 'Remedy' spell series which I believe is available out of Magic of Faerun...I'll check my books later on to see if I'm right about what school they are.

*is slightly in shock after checking the 'Cure' spells and realising that they are Conjuration, and not Necromancy, like they should be...*

*completely forgot that the magic system in ogl steampunk is weird*

Okay, upon rereading ogl Steampunks Occultism rules....

It's prety much up to the GM...I can tell you that it could be either Invocation, and thus Ecclesiast only, or you could use it as a high level transformation effect, probably at least a Major working, as spells that grant supernatural abilities are usually pretty high end.

Back