Fading Suns as OGL MRQ?

Enpeze

Mongoose
I would love to see a dark gothic scifi setting made with OGL MRQ rules. The best one which comes in my mind is Fading Suns from Holistic.

Important parts of this setting are templars, inquisitors, heretics, forbidden technology, mysterious Alien races, in about 100 different planets, jump gates, noble houses which rule entire planets, old prähistoric cultures, psionics, demons and a monstrous bio race which threatens the whole human space.
From its athmosphere think dune, mixed with WH40k, horror and aliens 1-3.

I always loved the Fading Suns universe, but I hated the rule system, which is not very intuitive. MRQ OGL would be the ideal solution for this. I played it some time ago with BRP rules and it was a blast. There is already a lot of good material out there (sourcebooks and adventures) so nobody had to design this game from scratch.

I was thinking of this very thing just today. Fading Suns is an awesome setting, it just needs a game system to go with it. There is a d20 Fading Suns out there now, but it was worse than the original system.

I may just head over to the Holistic site and point them in this direction. I think it would be good for both Holistic and Mongoose.

I will probably make the conversion myself if Holistic doesn't.

Lord Twig said:
I was thinking of this very thing just today. Fading Suns is an awesome setting, it just needs a game system to go with it. There is a d20 Fading Suns out there now, but it was worse than the original system.

I may just head over to the Holistic site and point them in this direction. I think it would be good for both Holistic and Mongoose.

I will probably make the conversion myself if Holistic doesn't.

Excellent idea if you go over there. I will looking to their forums too. I would like to know their answer to such a request?

How is Hollistic doing these days? I haven't seen anything from them in forever.

An MRQ version of Dune would be awesome though....

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
How is Hollistic doing these days? I haven't seen anything from them in forever.

An MRQ version of Dune would be awesome though....

Hyrum.

I am not sure if they are doing well. Their last press release on their HP is from 2004. Not much new material for Fading Suns. They seem a little bit "sleepy".

MRQ dune? interesting idea. Do you think that dune has enough possibilities for adventuring? I always thought of it rather as inspiration for characters and visual style (expecially the Lynch film)

Fading Suns is similar to dune in athmosphere but with more RP elements to facilitate the design of adventures. On the other hand dune has a tremendous fan community so it should sell well.

What you need for an adventure is a goal, and somebody willing to go through hell to get it.

The Dune setting as lots of intrigue, especially since the action does not have to take place on Arrikas, but could take place on any of the planets in the galaxy. It is not a setting that is conducive to the "Kick down the door" style of play, but there is so much intrigue in these books that there is plenty for a party of subtle adventurers to do.

Pretty much any Cold War plot could easily be adapted to Dune. Also, many of the plots involving noble houses could easily be transplanted.

Enpeze said:
MRQ dune? interesting idea. Do you think that dune has enough possibilities for adventuring? I always thought of it rather as inspiration for characters and visual style (expecially the Lynch film)

It depends on what you want to do. The basic framework for a campaign I almost ran was for the PCs to be the members of a minor house allied to the Atreides. At the start of the game their lands and title would become forfeit due to the actions of a rival minor House and they'd have to go on the run. The campaign would be centered around them trying to clear their name and regain their status, while at the same time bringing down the rival House.

The goal was for the majority of the PCs to be related, preferable siblings, with one PC being the chosen heir.

We never got to play due to people moving and college stuff, but I've got it on the backburner for someday.

I also have the outline for the official WotC Dune adventure, written by the LUG guys when they got bought by WotC. It's pretty cool and weaves the characters in and out of the first two novels, doing all the cool stuff that happens off-screen.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
Enpeze said:

It depends on what you want to do. The basic framework for a campaign I almost ran was for the PCs to be the members of a minor house allied to the Atreides. At the start of the game their lands and title would become forfeit due to the actions of a rival minor House and they'd have to go on the run. The campaign would be centered around them trying to clear their name and regain their status, while at the same time bringing down the rival House.

The goal was for the majority of the PCs to be related, preferable siblings, with one PC being the chosen heir.

We never got to play due to people moving and college stuff, but I've got it on the backburner for someday.

I also have the outline for the official WotC Dune adventure, written by the LUG guys when they got bought by WotC. It's pretty cool and weaves the characters in and out of the first two novels, doing all the cool stuff that happens off-screen.

Hyrum.

Dune should be a real cash cow. Enough to allow you to stop working and buying a house on hawaii. Imagine all those cool drinks and sexy beach girls dancing around you while you count your money bags...

Oh well, you know WHAT I mean.
When do you release it? :)

Enpeze said:
HyrumOWC said:
Enpeze said:

Hyrum.

Dune should be a real cash cow. Enough to allow you to stop working and buying a house on hawaii. Imagine all those cool drinks and sexy beach girls dancing around you while you count your money bags...

Oh well, you know WHAT I mean.
When do you release it? :)

Never. We don't have the rights. :(

And from what I understand they're a bitch to get nowadays as well.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
We don't have the rights. :(

And from what I understand they're a bitch to get nowadays as well.

Hyrum.

Why? Too expensive? Or other reasons?

Well then maybe getting Fading Suns is an option.

LAst UNicorn Games had the rights to Dune and produced an RPG based on thier ICON system. Unfortenately, this was at about the same time that LUG was sold to WotC. THE Dune game was released at a convention (orignis?), but was then stopped at WotC was going to have the LUG staff convert Dune and Star Trek (LUG's other liscense) to d290.

At that point this got complicated. Paramount, who owned the Trek franchise, pulled LUG's (not WotC) liscense and sold it to Decipher. A move that stunned the folks over at LUG, who found out about when it was announced at Origins. A short time later, practicely the entire staff of the former Last Unicorn Games left WotC to work for Decipher.

So the rights for Dune are either liscened out to LUG, WotC, a former-LUG employee, or back in the hands of the Herbert estate. I suspect the latter, and that with all the confusion with the LUG liscense, they are very wary of RPG companies.

atgxtg said:
LAst UNicorn Games had the rights to Dune and produced an RPG based on thier ICON system. Unfortenately, this was at about the same time that LUG was sold to WotC. THE Dune game was released at a convention (orignis?), but was then stopped at WotC was going to have the LUG staff convert Dune and Star Trek (LUG's other liscense) to d290.

At that point this got complicated. Paramount, who owned the Trek franchise, pulled LUG's (not WotC) liscense and sold it to Decipher. A move that stunned the folks over at LUG, who found out about when it was announced at Origins. A short time later, practicely the entire staff of the former Last Unicorn Games left WotC to work for Decipher.

So the rights for Dune are either liscened out to LUG, WotC, a former-LUG employee, or back in the hands of the Herbert estate. I suspect the latter, and that with all the confusion with the LUG liscense, they are very wary of RPG companies.

Then it could not be soo expensive, or? I mean if a small company like LUG could afford it.
Thanks for the info atgxtg.

atgxtg said:

The rights are with the Herbert Estate (ie: Brian Herbert). From some highly placed sources the main problem is that right now he's not really interested in licensing out the RPG rights again, and to get him interested would require a lot of money.

Hyrum.

Enpeze said:
Then it could not be soo expensive, or? I mean if a small company like LUG could afford it.
Thanks for the info atgxtg.

Maybe, maybe not. LUG also had the rights to the Star Trek franchise, something bigger than Dune. Yet, one of the offical reasons why LUG was sold to WotC was that is wasn't making any money.

The rumor is that with the "big" tie ins, there just isn't enough money left over after paying off the liscence to make a profit-or at least much of one. THis was rumored tobe the reason why WotC dropped the d20 Star Wars line. Just not enough profits for two comanies.

There probably is some truth to the idea, since liscenced settings don't cost any more than non-liscensed ones, so more of the sale price is profit.

atgxtg said:
Enpeze said:
The rumor is that with the "big" tie ins, there just isn't enough money left over after paying off the liscence to make a profit-or at least much of one. THis was rumored tobe the reason why WotC dropped the d20 Star Wars line. Just not enough profits for two comanies.

Also IIRC why they dropped Wheel of Time. Besides the side effects of having choosen a Chief designer who had never read of the books and heavily curtailing the playtest.

Dahak said:
atgxtg said:
Enpeze said:

Also IIRC why they dropped Wheel of Time. Besides the side effects of having choosen a Chief designer who had never read of the books and heavily curtailing the playtest.

Wheel of Time was always going to be 2 books, and Star Wars is getting a new Core Book early next year.

Hyrum.

Who is doing the new Star Wars book? Is it going to be WotC d20 3rd edtion, or is another company doing something with it?

atgxtg said:
Who is doing the new Star Wars book? Is it going to be WotC d20 3rd edtion, or is another company doing something with it?

WotC is re-releasing the SW corebook and is calling it the "Saga Edition". It's supposed to be streamlined rulewise, and contain info from all six movies.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
atgxtg said:

WotC is re-releasing the SW corebook and is calling it the "Saga Edition". It's supposed to be streamlined rulewise, and contain info from all six movies.

Hyrum.

I wonder how many times they can rerelease what is essentially the same game? I think that after a certain point even the diehard fans are going to say, "I own that already."

atgxtg said:
HyrumOWC said:
atgxtg said:

Hyrum.

I wonder how many times they can rerelease what is essentially the same game? I think that after a certain point even the diehard fans are going to say, "I own that already."

Wow, demented minds do think alike, 'cause I was thinking the same thing. WOTC must have beefed up their marketing dept. recently...

Back