Evo Durability

Mac V

Mongoose
I don't remembr this being talked about in the main thread. How durble are the paint jobs on the Evo lines? WIll they be nearly as tough as the collectable minis (Star Wars, D&D) in that you can store them in shoeboxes? Or, will they need to be treated along the same lines as regular minis?

Personally I store only miscellaneous junk in shoe boxes.

Any painted figures I have or will get are or will be stored in figure cases.

I simply do not treat painted figures of any types as toys to be trashed by jumbling them up in shoe boxes, especially if I have painted or repainted the minis. My time is more valuable than that.

As for durability, no figure is going to handle careless abuse, such as tossed in a shoebox, very well, nor will the paintjob survive very long.

Simply put, if you value the figures treat them well. If you think of them as disposeable junk, treat them as junk.

Evo minis will cost as much as unpainted metal minis. All of my unpainted metal, or plastic for that matter, minis are in proper storage cases. i.e. Army Transport foam trays.

Uhhh thats a new one. Prepainted will cost as much as unpainted metal?

I mean that puts a 10 man squad at more than GW prices for plastic stuff....okok prolly the same price.....

Well one of the big advatages over EE was price, if they take that away. Not that i really care, but still.

Mac V has a valid question no need o jump all over him with accusing him of not caring for his figures.

The subject of storage has been a well addressed topic in this forum. The main question being how to store and transport irregular shaped and generaly large numbers of warrior bugs.

Whilst commercially produced cases certainly secure your models they can be expensive and in some cases cost prohibitive for some struggling gamers.

While most of us do take good care of our finely finished models will there be the same concern for game pieces that are production painted, even though of a very high quality?

Just because some one uses a shoe box oes not mean they do not care for their pieces and many players utilise the starter box for this purpose.

As I said the question is pretty vaild and I for one would like to know how durable the paint job would be even from a wear and tear of the game ont of veiw?

My best guess is that they will be no more durable than hand-painted minis - in other words you'll need a form of storage that stops the figures hitting into one another when it is moved. Fit a magnetised card base into the shoebox and magnetic strips on the bases and it'll probably be cheaper than buying a padded case.

Personally I'll not be treating the Evo figures with quite as much care as ones I've done myself, as it'll be far easier to replace them. I'll not be throwing them around carelessly, but I'll most likely try the magnet route rather than padded figure cases and see how it goes. If I do end up with a couple of scratched figures, at least there'll be no emotional damage from seeing something I spent hours on ruined... :)

Well, I didn't mean to imply that I want to throw the minis around the house and let my 2 year old chew on them! :D

All I meant was that previouse pre-painted minis, i.e. D&D, Star Wars, etc, don't need to be treated that carefully.

I can live with storeing Evo figs lile my own painted figs if that's the cost of high quality pre-paints. I was just wondering as this will add to the cost of the game for me and I'd like to have an idea how much I need to hide from the wife. :eek:

Mac V said:
All I meant was that previouse pre-painted minis, i.e. D&D, Star Wars, etc, don't need to be treated that carefully.

From what I understand (which isn't much until we actually get to see the things), these minis are a lot more rigid than those, which would imply they'll chip rather than absorb the blow. Also they'll probably be painted with much thinner coats of paint than the "collectable" prepaints in order to get a much more detailed paint job. I'm assuming from the info we've heard so far they'll be more like something you painted yourself than prepainted CMG figures. If the plastic is "infused" with some colour you might just be chipping the highlight layer on top though.

As soon as I get my hands on one, my third task therefore (the first two are to try repainting and try converting) will be to (literally) throw one across the room and see how it stands up, and report back here ;)

As soon as I get my hands on one, my third task therefore (the first two are to try repainting and try converting) will be to (literally) throw one across the room and see how it stands up, and report back here

HA! That's awsome! I'll volunteer my two year old for a chew test! :lol:

mthomason, not that I really need to say this I suggest the throw bounce test be done with a really inexpensive figure, JUST IN CASE. :D

To MacV my comments about shoeboxes stems from having seen players using that transport method simply and literally just throw those figures into a jumbled pile in a shoebox or two. Where they bang together, chipping paint breaking off weapons etc.

My comments were directed toward that particular scenario, not toward you as an individual.

I paint so slowly and for years as an Outrider for GW, had to let my own figures be manhandled in demonstrations, so I shudder when I see players handling their own figures carelessly. I have even had people use their fingernails to pick and pry chunks out of my hand built scenery, pick up and drop figures repeatedly and deliberately until they knocked over half the conversion details off the figure or insist on picking up converted figures by the most fragile detail until they wreck the conversion.

Now as I am no longer an Outrider and represent no company, no one is allowed to handle my figures without my direct permission. So I am very anal about how my figures are stored and transported.

My comments were directed toward that particular scenario, not toward you as an individual.

Hey Cuda, it's cool. I never took offense to anything you said. Thanks for the help.

I'm quite the same with stuff I've painted. It hurts to see your hard work getting mashed. In fact, I can't seem to sell any either. They are like my little masterpieces.

That was part of the charm originally for me with the D&D minis. No time investment and nearly industructable.

As far as these go, I will plan on storing them properly.

I'm fairly sure that all models are going to be a kind of plastic now, so may be as durable as painted plastic models.

Back