Edition 3 or 3.5?

Vortex

Mongoose
I've been playing DnD for 15 years with the 2nd edition and am not planning to move to the 3rd in the foreseeable future. But when I bought B5 I knew I would have to get the 3rd edition PHB to play. Not wanting to pay a fortune to WOTC to be able to play a Mongoose game, I looked for a way to get a used PHB for less.

My local RPG retailer then informed me that B5 was made before edition 3.5 of DnD so the PHB from edition 3 should contain everything I need. Is that true?

I got an edition 3 PHB for 7$ and it seems to contain pretty much all I need but I can't find a thing about prestige classes or templates in it. Do these come from another DnD book like the DMG? If so, why is it not mentioned on B5 products that this book is also required?

I don't know where prestige classes are mentioned in D&D, but you don't need it. A character that meets the requirements can take his next class in a prestige class.

I figured as much bet some things are still not clear for me.

What about the XP penalty? Is there one for prestige classes? Does it work the same?

For example, will a 13th level diplomat who becomes a true seeker get a penalty because of the difference?

What about once the level limit of the prestige classe is reached (usually 5 or 10) ?

sigh...makes me yearn for the days of good old 1st edition AD&D....don't know WHAT a prestige class is....!

cant for the life of me remember actually reading the rule (its most likely in the DMG), but i'm 93% certain that Prestige classes are ignored for XP penalty purposes

addendum: its in the SRD http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/prestigeClasses.htm

That's probably what I would've done in the absence of a concrete rule to follow. I have a friend who has a lot of 3.5 books. I'll see if I can find the rule in them and tell you if I do.

As for what a prestige class is, the simplest way of putting it is: "A class in witch you can't start but in witch you can gain levels by multiclassing from other classes."

They usually have only 5 or 10 levels.

The issiue of Multiclass penalty was cleared up in the 2nd printing of the B5 Core Book. No penalty at all for multiclassing in the B5 RPG.

As for which PHB you need, the First edition B5 d20 RPG uses the 3rd edition PHB.

However, the imminently being released (End of Mar, start of April) B5 2nd Edition will be a stand alone product with no requirement for any PHB and will be fully compatible with all existing B5 d20 books.

That may affect your decision on whether or not to buy a PHB but I hope it helps one way or another.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
No penalty at all for multiclassing in the B5 RPG.

Do you mean just for prestige classes or for basic classes also?

lastbesthope said:
will be fully compatible with all existing B5 d20 books.

It's so good to hear these words! I felt like they became illegal or something since WotC bought TSR...

In normal D&D, unless your class is a favourite class (i.e. orc -> barbarian, dwarf -> fighter, etc), when you dual class and there are more than 2 levels between the highest and the lowest you get 10% xp penalty.

The favourite class and all the prestige classes do not count when you calculate the xp penalties.

In B5 there is not such a thing as xp penalty for dual or multiclassing.

Prestige classes where presented in a number of supplements in D&D 3.0 while in 3.5 where included, at least a few, in the DM guide, however, I wouldn't worry about it.

M :wink:

I did notice one discrepancy in the 3.0 ruling about the game. Several of the feats described as being 'allowable from the core players handbook' in the rules only appear in the 3.5 version of Dungeons and Dragons.

phalcomb said:
I did notice one discrepancy in the 3.0 ruling about the game. Several of the feats described as being 'allowable from the core players handbook' in the rules only appear in the 3.5 version of Dungeons and Dragons.

You're right in the second printing of the B5 RPG book, there do seem to be some 3.5 feats, though in the first printing it is pure 3.0.

Of course, when the 2nd edition comes out this will all be solved, no PHB required, not even the Mongoose one, though it is good.

LBH

Greg Smith said:
I don't know where prestige classes are mentioned in D&D, but you don't need it. A character that meets the requirements can take his next class in a prestige class.

The prestige classes are handled in the DMG, not the PHB. so this might be your confusion's source.
hope it helped.

Vortex said:
I got an edition 3 PHB for 7$ and it seems to contain pretty much all I need but I can't find a thing about prestige classes or templates in it. Do these come from another DnD book like the DMG? If so, why is it not mentioned on B5 products that this book is also required?

IIRC, the B5 RPG doesn't use any classes, Prestige or otherwise from the FnD books, they are all in the B5 books.

LBH

Vortex said:
Ok, so if there are no penalty for multi-classing in B5 why do races have a favorite class?
I think there is penaly since this is a D20 game and the contrary is not precised but personnaly I do not apply them.

Faenril said:
Vortex said:
Ok, so if there are no penalty for multi-classing in B5 why do races have a favorite class?
I think there is penaly since this is a D20 game and the contrary is not precised but personnaly I do not apply them.

THere is no multiclass penalty in the B5 game, this is not mentioned in the first printing but is stated in the pocket edition and 2nd printing hardback.

And there are no preferred classes in B5, but there are in D&D, but B5 doesn't use the D&D race rules.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Faenril said:
Vortex said:

THere is no multiclass penalty in the B5 game, this is not mentioned in the first printing but is stated in the pocket edition and 2nd printing hardback.

And there are no preferred classes in B5, but there are in D&D, but B5 doesn't use the D&D race rules.

LBH
it is strange since each race has a favoured class and it is said that for that class there is no multiclassing penalty.

I must have the 1st printing. It could explained why there is also a reference to worker minbari having +2 to Craft, since Craft is not a B5 Skill :wink: .

Back