Earth Alliance Fact Book Question???

Was checking out the preview of the EA Fact Book. On page 109 it provides a list of rank for people in Earth Force Fleet. Says all ranks are OFficer ranks??? Does Mongooses version of Babylon 5 Fleet mimic Starship Troopers version of Fleet, in that all personnel in Fleet are Officers??? Am I reading into that one little section of a preview on page 109?? If not then what is up with Mongoose wanting to make everyone in a space ship be an officer???

Tanit Ironwolf said:
Was checking out the preview of the EA Fact Book. On page 109 it provides a list of rank for people in Earth Force Fleet. Says all ranks are OFficer ranks??? Does Mongooses version of Babylon 5 Fleet mimic Starship Troopers version of Fleet, in that all personnel in Fleet are Officers??? Am I reading into that one little section of a preview on page 109?? If not then what is up with Mongoose wanting to make everyone in a space ship be an officer???

Wasn't this initially described in the old Chamelon Electric EarthForce book? Mine is at home so I can't check but I remember seeing this before. If it's from there, they were kind of stuck with it.

Matt

Nope, the Chameleon Eclectic EarthForce Fact Book includes ranks for enlisted personnel, so if Mongoose were limited by it, they could have used it.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Nope, the Chameleon Eclectic EarthForce Fact Book includes ranks for enlisted personnel, so if Mongoose were limited by it, they could have used it.

LBH

Yup, you're right, page 17. Crewman is an E1 through E9 as a Command Chief Petty Officer, so it's been established that there are enlisted ranks in the fleet, at least as of 2250, when the Earthforce Sourcebook is set.

Matt

Well it's more the thing that "the only exciting ranks are the officer ranks", under the thinking that the PC crew should all be officers. Unfortunately this is more Star Trek thinking than anything else, since almost all of the main crew are officers (Chief Miles O'Brien is the only character who isn't an officer). However it is possible to have a campaign with only enlisted officers, probably not easy but it is possible.

Apart from Wesley (or whiney as I call im) who never got past a cadet.

But you're right, almost no main characters who weren't officers. Unlike B5 which had Garibaldi, Welch and Allen. With other non EA non military types as well.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Apart from Wesley (or whiney as I call im) who never got past a cadet.

He was actually an Ensign (not just "Acting Ensign") in the late stages of Season 3 going into season 4 before he was admitted into Star Fleet Acadamy (Field commision from Picard). It's the point at which he stops wearing those pyjamas and has a standard Star Fleet uniform.

Back