DW Screen on the way?

vorpal_bunny

Mongoose
As DW seems to be gaining popularity, I was wondering if a Screen would ultimately be published.

If not, perhaps a free pdf of essential tables and such?

I think its a good idea, maybe drop James a line at www.magnumopuspress.com and ask him whats happening?

Because of printing logistics, GM screens need a certain minimum print run to be economically viable. I'll talk to Matt about whether he reckons a DW screen is worth doing.

While we're pondering print budgets, what tables would you specifically want to see on a DW GM screen?

In my opinion DW is such a rules lite game as to invalidate the need for a screen. I'd prefer another adventure instead.

wazza said:
In my opinion DW is such a rules lite game as to invalidate the need for a screen. I'd prefer another adventure instead.

Bundle? :)

As an old hand at DW I can't really see myself getting much use from a screen but it could be useful for new folk.

I agree that DW is rules light, but many of the actual rules are buried in the text and not easily referenced.

Regardless, half the value of the screen is the fact that it's a SCREEN - a barrier between lowly players and esteemed GMs.

Most screens these days do come with a bundle of some sort, so I rather assumed a DW screen would follow suit. An adventure and poster map are typical. Perhaps an appropriate place to republish Bag of Bones?

Magnum Opus Press said:
what tables would you specifically want to see on a DW GM screen?

Erm... how about this to start us off?

Melee/Missile Combat Modifiers
Stealth/Perception/Vision Modifiers
Climbing/Falling
Curses/Madness/Poison
Witnesses/Bribes
Travel/Weather/Ships

More tables:

Spell Index - Which groups spells by profession and also indicates spell expiry.
Encounters - From the Bestiary

I still think that a sheet of pre-printed cardboard miniatures are a good idea. What about a detailed poster map; the city of Ongus, perhaps?

The weapons lists could be useful to have on the screen. The list of Speed ratings for different things you might not want to get hit by would be another good thing to have.

Greetings All!

The Zombie Master is now here.

Have there been any developments, updates, decisions, etc on a DW Screen?

Thanks!

I reckon a screen would be useful too. Like others have said, DW is light on the crunch but many rules are hidden away and take time to locate in the book when flicking through.

It'd also be a great excuse to commission some new artwork.

Maybe even run a competition for budding authors to write a short scenario and have it published as an insert/bundle with the screen.

I made my own screen using excel and the Savage Worlds Customizable GM Screen, a 3-panel, tri-fold screen into which I may slide my own pages.

The tables I included in my screen, with corresponding page number(s) from the core book are:

Possible Actions in a Round p.71
Outdoor Travel p.211
Common Move Rates

COMBAT RELATED
Typical Attack Speeds p. 72
Falling Damage p.64
Weapon Damage - Melee (including weapons from Chapter 8 addendum) p.69, 134
Weapon Damage - Missile (including weapons from Chapter 8 addendum)p. 69, 134
Weapon Range - Missile (including weapons from Chapter 8 addendum)p.69, 134
Missile Weapon to-hit Adjustments p.68
Variable Damage p.207
Permanent Injuries p.208
Armour (including armour from Chapter 8 addendum) p.134
Penalties for Wearing Armour p.71

MAGIC
Procedures for Spell Expiry Roll p.77
Procedures for Terminating a Spell and Regain of Mystic Points p.74, 78
Procedures for Mystic's Psuchic fatigue Check p.74
Procedures for Spell Failure % for Armoured Elementalists & Sorcerors (errata) p.77
Magic Point Renewal p.73-5

MISC.
Stealth Modifiers p.63
Climbing p.63-4
Perception Modifiers p.63

I also added single line reminders for this-and-that like
Moving into Combat p.67
Encumbrance p.23
Fighting in the Dark p.61
Surprise p.60-1

The outer faces of the screen the players will see have some notes for their use such as The Hit Roll, Armour Bypass, Critical Hit, Shields, Automatic Hit, and Skill Results.

That all looks like pretty useful stuff Ancalagon and would be a good starting point for an official screen, in my opinion.

I was looking through the book for the info I thought would be used most in a typical game session and decided to go with the aforementioned tables and tidbits. More info could be squeezed into my spreadsheet but I'd have to reduce the font smaller than I care for. Professional designers, or those more skilled with spreadsheets than I, could make a layout that could include extra stuff.

I used my screen at a demo session a few months back and it worked quite well. 8)

Random Code said:
I reckon a screen would be useful too. Like others have said, DW is light on the crunch but many rules are hidden away and take time to locate in the book when flicking through.

It'd also be a great excuse to commission some new artwork.

Maybe even run a competition for budding authors to write a short scenario and have it published as an insert/bundle with the screen.
Agreed. Everything seems to have an adventure in it with Dragon Warriors, and I for one think that's a good thing. You could pack several adventures in there, possibly even linked.

Random Code said:
That all looks like pretty useful stuff Ancalagon and would be a good starting point for an official screen, in my opinion.
Agreed. Any chance you could put that thing up for download Ancalagon (or do you have it up somewhere already)? It'll save me the trouble of making it myself.

alms66 said:
Agreed. Any chance you could put that thing up for download Ancalagon (or do you have it up somewhere already)? It'll save me the trouble of making it myself.

It would definitely be helpful to share the screen by uploading it to the DragWars Yahoo Group.

Back