Dremel advice needed.

JayRaider

Mongoose
Would the following Dremel be ok for drilling bases?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DREMEL-MULTIPRO-285JB-DRILL-POWER-TOOL-SEALED-BNIB_W0QQitemZ140106379594QQihZ004QQcategoryZ29528QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Comments appreciated.

personally with minis i dont like to get powertools involved. i have a small hand one that does fine for basig and even got my axle pin through my adira :)

Yes, that should be fine. I would advise getting a kit with more accessories unless you know it will only have very limited use.

Tredrick said:
Yes, that should be fine. I would advise getting a kit with more accessories unless you know it will only have very limited use.

Thanks Tredrick.
I plan on buying some extra drill bits.
Just gonna be using it for basing, so no other accessories needed. :)

JayRaider said:
Tredrick said:

Thanks Tredrick.
I plan on buying some extra drill bits.
Just gonna be using it for basing, so no other accessories needed. :)

That's what you think. You will use it for more than you think, I think.

I have 2 dremels one with hand adjustable chuck and one without. Fantastic it tools.

Whilst I also have pin vices and modelling files, the dremels are fantastic when youn need more grunt, with little time and can be very precise.

Tools you will probably want to investigate.

fine engraving tools for removing flash and the sludgy build up you get in hard to access areas with Mongoose miniatures.

sanding disks and cylinders which can clean down model lines is a flash!

cutting disks, I use these a lot in conversions when i don't want to use a bloody saw.

drill bits as well.

Whilst you don't need them for miniature modelling, I use the dremels for other aspects of my wargaming fetish and have the full set of router bits, cutters, router table, drill bench, flexible extension etc... I almost bought myself a circle cutter the other day to cut out gravity well templates but decided to use my router instead. (a mistake, i should have used got a new toy)

So Buy it and use it more thant just drilling bases! :D

As katadder wrote, I would use a hand driller for basing your precious fleet. I have a dremel, but your model would start at 10.000 rpm! For me, this a headstart, I'm afraid of. With a handdrille, I have (or believe I have) more control.

But on the other hand, the dremel is an exceptional tool for all your cleaning and conversion dreams. And for that price it is a real bargain. So go for it!

As already stated you will use that tool for many tasks. It will definitely cut your clean up time on the models. It also will help to clean out those grooves for mounting the fins on say a Sharlin. Get a metal cutting tool, they make a barrel shaped one and a disk. These work great for cleaning out those grooves. It is well worth the money you will spend on it.

I have a fixed speed Dremel copy that Maplin were selling cheap around Xmas time. I intend to pick up a hand drill (pin vice) for more precise work.

LBH

Back